GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 11:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting flight angle  (Read 1328 times)
appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 17, 2011, 08:13 PM »

I bought an HQ Eddy Cat and an HQ Eddy Dog kite.  My intention was to give the cat kite to my girlfriend so I can fly the dog kite right beside her. Smiley

I went ahead and ordered the kites.  When I received them I found out the kites are actually not the same kite.  The cat kite is 31" width and 31" height, while the dog kite is 27" width and 27" height.  The top bridle 'hole' is lower on the dog kite (I'm not sure what the terminology is for that hole on the kite), and the kites are bridled at different angles.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the kites won't fly side by side because the cat kite flies at a much steeper angle than the dog kite.

When I hold the two kites at the bridle tow point, the dog kite is sloped more towards the ground more than the cat kite.  I am thinking of retying the tow point on the dog kite so it matches the angle of the cat kite.  Is this the correct action to make the two kites fly closer together?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:26 PM by appleb » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:54 PM »

That can help but being a bigger sail area the cat kite will have a bit more lift to it as well.  Being a smaller kite with a different bridle size the adjustment won't be exact so you will have to make small adjustments untill you get it close.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:10 AM »

Know Your Kite - Adjusting Your Bridle    , by:Todd Little

Almost all bridles are adjustable and should be tuned before each flight to suit the wind conditions present at the time. The movement of the line attachment (tow) point alters the angle of attack, or the way the kite presents itself in the wind. When you move the tow point towards the top of the kite, it presents less of the face of the kite to the wind, allowing the kite to “float” on light winds. You’ll find that this adjustment lets the kite fly high overhead and, should the wind pick up a little, overfly (fly over your head into the wind!)

Moving the tow point lower, toward the bottom of the kite, will make the kite present more sail area to the wind. This will make the kite fly lower unless the wind is stronger to apply more energy to “push” the kite up. Of course this will also make the kite pull much more strongly, so watch out! Moving the point too far towards the bottom of the kite will stop the kite from leaving the ground all together.

Most modern kites have bridles made to be adjusted. Usually this is a simple ring which can be slid up and down the line and often the manufacturer marks a spot where the tow point should be in average wind conditions. But be aware that many store bought kites can have a mark on the bridle which is obviously ment to make the kite fly like a two ton dump truck and to frustrate potential kite enthusiasts. This is most often true with the less expensive sport kites – the kind found at Walmart

When testing/tuning a kite/stack I will sometimes attach a ring to ease in adjusting the tow point

Lark's-head & ring kite bridle attachment

Hope this helps getting the kites to fly close together

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:12 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:51 AM »

Looks like I'll start by moving the loop in the bridle then.  I have a plastic ring from a dollar store kite than I can use for testing.

Thanks everyone!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:41 AM »

Kiteking,
That is a great posting.
For adjusting the tow point, the ring is a good option, another is the prusik knot.

Neither is better, just a preference.

Here is a link on how it is tied and used to adjust the tow point.

http://members.cox.net/maggiekite/knot/prusik.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document