GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fade no longer a Problem... I hope.  (Read 845 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 22, 2011, 06:21 AM »

Joh thanks for the kind words.  The Internet is insanly great.  Where else would a guiy in Michigan get the help from so many around the country or World.  Crazy, just crazy...  Wink

I tried to explain this concept to my Mother last week.  I showed her my video's and the the comments and training video's I have recieved.  Mom's getting up in age..had trouble understanding the whole concept.  She was pleasantly surprised when it started to sink in for her.  Can you imagine if the forum was a huge SKYPE... everyone talking together Huh

I guess one could say I am living proof of what this forum and dedicated flyer's around the world have accomplished.  Advising and teaching towards a common goal.

Everyone has given a piece of themselves in the common goal.  Directing and doing a introspective of themselves and thier skill level.  No Ego's just deep rooted trial and error advise that works.

For all the help I dedicate this video with respect to all who have helped to make it possible.  I could Not Have Done this by myself. Cool

Not my first choice of music..You Tube blocked me...

KEEP WATCHING WHEN MUSIC STOPS >>>

test.wmv
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:54 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:08 AM »

You are still just getting started.

So I will give you a huge recommendation that you have to try and follow.

Remember:  The kite cannot feel if you have your hands up by your face or down by your side (or outstretched to the side), and odd hand positions make it harder for you to generate consistent inputs in the long run. 

Think of the extreme, where you fly with your hands out to your side at 90 deg.  Now you have no elbow joint to extend to give an input pop, and your only option for creating slack is to flap your arms forward.  No good. 

Well, holding your hands up around your face and head is nearly the same in terms of the added random handicap it puts on your timing.

If you watch Martin Madsen fly (Danish tutorial guy), he is working ALWAYS with his hands at his side.  If you focus on getting your hands to be consistently in the same position, you can better replicate, adjust, and tweak your slack timing.  If you are moving your hands all over, the arc your hands take can add and subtract slack in unpredictable ways.

Remember your cerebellum is trying to remember motor patterns that reward you with pleasure.  So if you make those motion more similar, the cerebellum can learn much much faster.

The fade looks good, though.  Keep working!

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40 AM »

I saw the poor hand positions afterwrds.  What I discovered was "Walking Backwards " brings the kite Up and up and away... Now that I am over the initial shock of "...that was easy..." gonna work on the hand stuff immediatly..I watch and try to immulate his movements... nice smooth hands and arms by his side.  It was his video that made me realize..hands Do Not Go in the chest and face...  as Norm always say's "...practice,practice,practice...".  I need another ten hours of work on it... at least...Then working on the right side half axel ... Then I am stopping for the year....and working on Cleaning and Cleaning Everything Up... <---- don't want to look like a junk man . Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:27 AM »

Not to argue with Obi, but, I think a better way to look at it is:  Elbow position rather than hand position.  I have seen some mighty fine trickers and precisionists who allow their hands to get up in the mid chest positon. (say centerline of the pecs)  The key is to not let your elbows rise above a fourty five degree angle to your torso.  I like to tell the people I have coached that when your elbows rise too high your arms have nowhere to go and all adjustment has to be done with body movement.  Even at my advanced age my arms are still faster than my feet and if I lean too far, I generally fall over...........no matter how many beers Embarrassed

If you'll notice Martin's latest tutorial, his elbows are not tight to his sides, but nowhere go past a fourty five.

Vert, you're lookin' good.....it won't be long and you'll be able to slide that fade from one side of the window to the other.............I do that by holding my elbows tight to my ribs with my hands up against my pecs and let the wrists give the impetus for direction and attitude.

Keep 'em coming,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:20 AM »

I agree. I too fly turns with my hands at my chest.  Smiley  But that's not freestyle, or so I am told.  Wink

Just conserve and try to use arm positions which allow you to use you elbows to make predictable and readily repeated inputs.

I am by no means perfect myself.  Just trying to give advice I could have used myself.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:22 AM »

Vert, your fade is MILES better.
Glad all the work and effort is starting to pay off - feels good, yeah?
Big things will open up as you perfect your fade entry/exit... its the backbone to a lot of combos...
Keep up the hard work!  Grin

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:42 PM »

You're quitting for three months? Oh man, I am going to have withdrawal without being able to watch your progress. If you want help with the cleaning up-- give me a holler. I'm good at that stuff. You might as well keep making use of the Internet, eh?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:17 PM by madhabitz » Logged

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05 PM »

Joe.... JoeJoeJoe,
I now see more clearly what people mean when they say you're improving, because I'm not in MI anymore and all that, but wow are they right. Great job at the end.

Can't wait to fly pairs with you with these kites! (to fill everyone else in, Joe is a very natural follower for pairs and takes 'commands' really quick and does them just real close to flyer one in terms of style. By the end of our first day of messing around things actually looked really really nice! Smiley ) I'm still working on my other Ocius SUL to match yours. I'll try to make it back to MI sometime in october but my other orchestra starts up around then as well. If not, thanksgiving break's gonna be a blast!

Keep on crackin'. I'll try and give you a call sometime this weekend or something. We just went to the CSO's first concert tonight-  'got to hear Mr. Clevenger play the first horn solo to Tchiakvosky 5th Symphony and Mathieu Dufour play the Ibert Flute Concerto. Oh man what a night!  Smiley Smiley Smiley. Wish you could of been here to see it! If you ever make it up to Chicago I'll have to take you down to CSO and meet Mr. Clevenger!

Good job with the progression Smiley. Now time to dial it in even more. At this point sifting through everyones ideas and crossing out the ones that you KNOW don't work might be a good idea to narrow things down a bit. Looks like you're getting close to a way that works for you.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document