GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 09:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erm...what the heck is this..  (Read 860 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2011, 04:08 PM »

...I've read the listing several times and as far as I can see it's just an expensive dog stake!!.....do you get an actual Rev with it, or just a little cut out?

I'm confused....

Rev-Stake, Revolution kites, power kites & Dual line kites

sorry.....long standing rule against ebay links. .....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:00 PM by thief » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:15 PM »

Actually looks pretty nice, there appears to be pulleys behind that rev shaped thing for the lines to run on with nice guides the builder claims are a special material that won't wear on the lines. Obviously it is hand built with what appears to be fillet brazing on that T piece. Machining, fillet brazing, fabricating that rev shape, it has obviously been built by a pretty talented metal craftsman. $260 shipped is not out of line for the amount of work I see there.

No you don't get the kite with it, the kite they are refering to is the Rev shaped doo-hickey with the pulleys, guides and bearings.

Wonder if they have Revolutions blessing on this? Using that shape with the name RevStake will probably get them a letter form Revolutions lawyers.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:53 PM »

I was doing this type of flying, (dogstaking...) with a full sized Rev I back in the early 90's here in Texas, after I had progressed from dogstaking with a Full Team Hawaiian.   I thought it was really cool, then found out that Lee Sedgwick had been performing, dog staking routines with a Rev for years.   Pretty fun, I am sure that with the pulleys, it would save a great deal on the lines and easier to control after a few spins.  I know that dogstaking with my original lines, really gave them a beating and bent up one of my corkscrew dogstakes.   Great stuff.   Have fun.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00 AM »

Thats what I thought.  Seeing as dog staking isn't exactly that popular in the kite flying community I can't see him selling many - I can buy a dog stake for 1 at my local hardware store and an aaaaaawful lot of line for 169 !! Huh   Nicely made, but........

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27 AM »

I am sorry, but HOW does a dog stake make kiting (2 or 4 lines) more fun?

While I see how folks might have stumbled on the idea, it is really hard for me to understand how this is more fun for the pilot.  So you can balance the kite on your head...that's a trick that is old after you do it twice, and only is impressive to those who don't get kiting in general.  Meanwhile, the mechanics of the stake severely limit what is otherwise possible.

I was unable to see the pulleys, but I assume they are there, as it is clearly stated in the ad.

I really don't get flying with a dog stake at all.  I am unimpressed, unmoved, and underwhelmed.  Pairs/team flying, flying two revs/dualies simultaneously, or extreme tricking are all far far far far far far superior to dog stake shanagans. 

Just one's man's opinion, but sheez...enough of this nonsense already. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43 AM »

i think it is just about the joy of flying, i have seen JB's vids and watched him fly. after all the years he has been doing it ,it still shows that he loves it dogstaking is another challenge .in one of his vids he is sitting on a beach just playing with the shadow of a kite. not my thing either but i have been flying for only about 5 years. i found it fascinating. sorry too Lee and others that do this also .i am just more familiar with John. also just my opinion KO

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum