GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 01:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new kind of YoYo stopers  (Read 1209 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2011, 07:09 AM »

hi to all
look interesting...
does anyone has experience with those yoyo stopers.
I can see new spreader connectors too
http://www.skysportdesign.com/my-kites/kite-accesories/

thanks
all best
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:20 AM »

Hmmm, seen these before, those spikes look like they are just waiting to damage an icarex sail (unless they are very soft of course). These Kitehouse stoppers may not look as slick, but they work well and are much safer.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:58 AM »

Damage from the skyclaws would depend on how you roll up your kite for storage.  Personally I don't roll my sails around the LE.  I've seen too many sails with wear  from the LE fittings and center T.  THe damage on the Vapor I restored was caused by that.
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:47 PM »

I to am like Cake and don't roll my sail around the LE... but still they would cause damage easily... I was flying with Tom the other day and he had some that he had gotten from Lam. And they look scary... :-) however, they also look as though they would work really well! ... Tom had a genius idea though. He said he was just gonna take a lighter to the big pointy spikes to round them off a bit.that would fix any bad I could have seen in them.

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32 PM »

Well next time I dog goes after your kite you could bite it first with those things.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39 PM »

I just got a new Transformer-Light from Lam with this new Yo-Yo stopper design and spreader connectors (but the new connectors only on the T Mid-Vent). He seems to favor these on his current mid-vent Transformers possibly for better support for the kite when in flight? Seems its a good sub for any model however. The upper and lower spreaders go into these connectors DEEPER. Anyway in terms of these new YY stoppers - I have only taken it out once. Based on their size down the LEs they seem to handle more roll-ups easily. I did not experiment with multiple roll-ups and was not testing the efficiency of this new Yo-Yo stopper design ... but like everyone else has mentioned in this thread ... Lam told me THREE times watch how you pack away your kite with this new YY stopper. I never wrap my kite around the YY stoppers anyway ... I sort of flag fold it into the LEs then wrap it with velcro wraps I get from Home Depot. My point is ... Lam never really repeats himself when he is talking kites to you on the phone ... but he did this time with these new YY stoppers ... HANDLE WITH CARE  Wink Wink Wink.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:47 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:31 PM »

I've got some of his LE connectors and a t fitting.

Geometrically, the t fitting is identical to the R-sky fitting. The only difference is the amount of reinforcement - Lam's will certainly be stronger. On the other hand, I've never broken an R-sky t.

The leading edge connectors are lower profile than the APAs and are made out of a much harder material. I suppose you'd actually have to remove the lower spreaders with these. It should also prevent the roll-out that APAs develop over time.

I've used the R-sky stoppers for years and never had any wear from them. These look a bit more sharp, but I think that if folded properly there shouldn't be an issue. I always fold the kite so the spine and leading edges are in line and then roll from the standoffs up to the LE. I don't have any so I can't really comment much on them.
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:44 PM »

Got a couple of sets of Lam's skyclaws. Super easy to install & if you fold the kite like he does (& I have for 3 years) there will be no damage. First try with stupid wind got 3 roll ups on the vented Transformer using the drop, stop & release method to roll up. 2nd try with same wind got an easy 4. They are the cats meow. Almost as good as roll bars.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:41 PM »

If you wrap your kite like lam does, there will be no issues with the sail.  I use a Velcro wrap on my kites with the sky claws just to be sure the sail stays away from the claws - they are pointy.

And, yes, they do work extremely well and can be installed on most any kite. 

The lower and upper spreader connectors are also sweet.  The thing I like best, aside from that they are longer and more secure than APAs is that line will not cut into them.  Nothing is more frustrating than having your line saw into the lower APAs and having to walk up to the kite.

I usually only do a double yoyo when I feel like doing more than one, but I like the fact that the claws make it super easy to get a single yoyo from a variety of positions, even if you are way off.  They extend far enough down the LE that it makes it hard to miss.

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 09:03 AM »

these are probably the proto's unfortunately i may have installed them wrong and they ripped my leading edge at the spreader cutout sooo be careful

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum