GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shiney.  (Read 1462 times)
bryan beasley
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 25, 2011, 11:09 AM »

Mmmm...

Sort of goes with these... ;-)

I've been pretty much exclusively flying comp. for a couple or 3 years, so am really looking forward to getting into this one. Review and videos to follow of course.

Bryan
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:52 PM »

Very Very Shiney  Cool

Good looking layout as well.....

Looks like I'm back to the colouriser  Undecided

S

WinterDaze AoF
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:21 PM »

Video or it never happened. Wink
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:31 AM »

i'm rreeeeeaaaallly looking forward to this review.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:13 AM »

I would like to give the SUL a try out.

What is it framed in?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
bryan beasley

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:49 AM »

Ah wait there, I know the answer to this one... it's black stuff that's for sure. Hang on...

... P90 LE's, 3PT LS's and 3mm US.

Soft and floaty - that's a given. Thus far though, I've had 10 minutes air time over-powered (shouldn't really have been flying it - but it needed sand somewhere. ;-) ) so not much to report so far. Day off tommorow, but not a good forecast. Will give it a good session at first chance.

Bryan
jaydub

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Ah wait there, I know the answer to this one... it's black stuff that's for sure. Hang on...

... P90 LE's, 3PT LS's and 3mm US.

Soft and floaty - that's a given. Thus far though, I've had 10 minutes air time over-powered (shouldn't really have been flying it - but it needed sand somewhere. ;-) ) so not much to report so far. Day off tommorow, but not a good forecast. Will give it a good session at first chance.

Bryan
3mm US, Bryan? Huh

I demand a recount (or at least a remeasure). Undecided
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 11:24 AM »

3mm it is. 2mm standoffs too.

Winds have been too much for both of us recently, so not much testing going on. It starts to overpower at 8mph so you really need an ideal day to play with it properly.

I'm happy with the performance in tricks and there's so much more to do with it than the Mk1 version from '08, but I'd love to drop some more weight from it. Some Zero Air sticks are on the way and I would be really thrilled if they work well in the kite, could lose another 15g. However, they'll probably cause issues in certain tricks. We'll see, but I'm hanging on until these ZA's have had a good fly.

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:36 AM »

Did you try it with 2 pt LS? Swapping the P90 LEs to tapered Zeros will save some weight but also change the weight distribution. That could open a new can of worms to deal with.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
jaydub

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26 PM »

3mm it is.
Forgive me my doubts. Wink
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50 PM »

Did you try it with 2 pt LS? Swapping the P90 LEs to tapered Zeros will save some weight but also change the weight distribution. That could open a new can of worms to deal with.

I tried 2PT lower spreaders and lost something in feel. I am very aware of the impending mess of changing the framing to Zero Air spars. I'm fully expecting a return to the Mk1 SUL of 2008, which was...."Nice and light, but it doesn't work.".

Still, these things need to be tested and I'd be an idiot not to. Maybe I'll be impressed with it in different ways. I know it quite well now, so if it behaves like junk with ZA's in then I'll have to shrug my shoulders and go with the last best reference point.

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56 PM »

Hmm P90 spine, ZA ULE, 2pt LLE, ZA LS and .157 tube US? PRobably wouldn't want to fly it in anything over 4mph with that frame though.

10.5g+(7gx4)+(9gx2)+~5g =~60g +/-   Maybe 45-55g after cutting to length.  Damn light frame set up but would it work and have the strength to handle the wing load and a few 5-8 gusts?
bryan beasley

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05 AM »

The art of gentle persuation... 'leave alone allready and stop fannying - it's 'kin ace!' ;-)

OK, review and some footage to come shortly... probably by the end of the week, 'ceterus paribus'.

Bryan
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:33 AM »

The ZAs are more flexible then the 3 and 2PTs, your upper wind limit will decrease significantly and you will not gain that much on the lower end.

Tips for dropping weight, simplify the sail, drop the glue tape, or use lower weight one, 3m 9460. You will be surprised how much the glue actually weights. Lighter Sail Material, Skytex 27, AIRX400 for example. If you are not fixed on APAs for connectors and want to save weight, try the way of the ancients. Flexible pvc tubes. About 1g lighter then tiny APAs for 4mm spars each. Or if you want better quality, PTFE tubes. 4mm long endcaps, cut to the needed length for the standoff/spreader connectors.

You can save a great deal of weight in lots of ways, the question is how light do you want to make it and what is the kite still supposed to do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography