GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNT:Sea Devil  (Read 1491 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 25, 2011, 12:52 PM »

Hi to all .
One strange question. Does anyone try Saa Devil std and TNT std. by Alpha kite. I know TNT is much newer
It is a bigger kite made for competitions.
But Sea Devil is also made for competition ballet flying very familiar in kite world with good precize flying and tricks
I saw  TNT doing some very fast Jacobs leader on video and wondering is this pilot good tricking practice or kite behavior for doing fast tricks.
Also TNT pilot on video is flying on the longer lines ( I think around 40 meters) and precise flying look much better and more spectacular because it has wide wind window.

Freestyle @ Berck

WOuld the same pilot do same fast tricks on SD too? I know SD is extra good for slow tricks.
Also would precise flying on SD on long lines (40m) look similar as TNT precise flying?
thanks for answer
all best....
smooth winds...
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »

First off, the precision flying in this video is not that special.  He is trying to make turns faster than he is capable of making sharp.  His lines are nice, but his corners are sloppy.  He is a great pilot, but he is not showing that with his precision flying here.  Since he's a STACK flier, I am sure he could do much better.  Or maybe he can't do French turns at all.  Who knows?  Personally, one of the best things about the Sea Devil is that it can be wicked precise.

But the Sea Devil can do all these tricks, but it doesn't fall directly into the turtle position as readily, thus making the JL's necessarily a bit slower at max speed. 

Please note that this video is shot in laboratory grade beach winds near sunset.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

But all that said, the pilot in this video is clearly no novice.

obi

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:03 PM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:40 PM »

Mathias can make any kite look that good.  IMO the TNT is a lot better than the Sea Devil and even Lam will tell you his Sea devil isn't his best tricker as he prefers the performance of his Transformer (a more updated design).  I don't have a lot of line time on a TNT but it is a sweet kite and will trick how you want it to its a very responsive kite.  DEnny or KingJ can tell you more since they have them but my choice of the two would be a TNT hands down.
vigli

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:16 AM »

Obi
please can You explain me You words:
Personally, one of the best things about the Sea Devil is that it can be wicked precise.
""wicked precise"" ???words are confusing me-what does it mean!?.
thanks
I read that SD is made for competition precise flying and for tricks too...
So SD would be in polyvalent kite category (precise and trick)?
Not just in pure trick category like some other pure trick kite (Gem, DS..)
Am I right?
thanks
boris
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:53 AM by vigli » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47 AM »

Hey Boris...
I have a couple of Sea Devils, so maybe I can answer part of this question... I would imagine that the pilot in the video could fly a Sea Devil just about the same, if not better as far as the figure flying. Some kites cut better corners than others, no doubt. The Sea Devils are not the best corner-cutters in my bag, but they're not bad. I can see the pilot in the video has some good skills, and have to assume the TNT isn't the most precise kite, or the pilot wasn't trying at all.
~Rob.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:59 AM »

Hey Boris...
I have a couple of Sea Devils, so maybe I can answer part of this question... I would imagine that the pilot in the video could fly a Sea Devil just about the same, if not better as far as the figure flying. Some kites cut better corners than others, no doubt. The Sea Devils are not the best corner-cutters in my bag, but they're not bad. I can see the pilot in the video has some good skills, and have to assume the TNT isn't the most precise kite, or the pilot wasn't trying at all.
~Rob.
Incase you guys aren't realizing it the pilot in that video is Mathias Hack, the designer. ROb your right he wasn't really trying to do precision but showcase the TNT's freestyle ability. In the one part he was doing precision its a side view and you can't really see it.  THe TnT is quite precise but as I said I don't have a lot of line time on one and I know I can't do the kite justice.
obijuankenobe

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20 AM »

I think the Sea Devil can be very (wicked) precise.  It does very nice corners, and holds lines pretty well. 

It looks to me as though the TNT has just a bit more oversteer than the SD's, and that is probably what makes the corners look just a bit sloppy to my eye. 

But if you want tricks, there is no question that the TNT is a generation ahead of the SD.  The SD taz machines are there, but require some very precise commands.  And the lack of a locked in turtle just requires more attention on the part of the pilot than if you can pop it back and forget about it coming out. 

I just want to clarify that I wasn't saying that the TNT cannot be precise.  I honestly don't know.  But from that video, I wouldn't assume it was better at precision flying than the SD.  That's all.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58 AM »

Just get a Lam Hoac Transformer, precise and tricky. I was shocked how well the kite tracked and turned, better than my Sea Devils and Fearless kites. Transformer price is not bad either... Cool

"Do what you like"
emegaz

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:18 AM »

Transformer price is not bad either...

Are u serious?
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:21 AM »

I can see the pilot in the video has some good skills, and have to assume the TNT isn't the most precise kite

I would assume a kite that's won as many comps as the TNT has, to have more than a little bit of precision built into it.
I've never flown a Sea Devil so I can't offer any insight into any real differences in the two kites.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:23 AM »

Transformer price is not bad either...

Are u serious?

A Transformer is a lot cheaper than a Fearless or a TNT.  Wink

Denny

emegaz

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30 AM »

I can still do everything that the TNT did in that vid on lower priced kites.
vigli

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:52 AM »

yes, Trans. it is a cheeper--- but it is a little smaller too, with deeper sail... I'm sure it trick extra good...
But ........... I enjoy  in SD size, with more sail on it with  solid pull....
I like to feel kite in my hands....and better connection with kite...
I have Gemini (with all respect) and it is simply  to hard to fly for me- smaller size then SD, too fast for me. Veryy offen I can't do on Gem what I won a do. And very light on lines. I gess not my stille but very nice design and so popular...
But SD for my skills and my ability to fly is very nice and  very predictable. You can trick it slow, You can trick it faster   Wink
and always nice solid moderate pull no matter how strong wind  blow...
DWayne

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:04 AM »

I can still do everything that the TNT did in that vid on lower priced kites.

That's great. Its not about how much money you spend. Its about how much fun you have.  Wink

Denny

obijuankenobe

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10 PM »

I would assume a kite that's won as many comps as the TNT has, to have more than a little bit of precision built into it.
I've never flown a Sea Devil so I can't offer any insight into any real differences in the two kites.

Denny

What competitions have been won using the TNT?  STACK competitions or TP's?

Just curious, as I actually don't know.  But if it's TP's...precision don't mean diddly. 

obi

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document