GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 02:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fade and Roll Up  (Read 2017 times)
THE ONE
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 26, 2011, 07:45 AM »

Hi, I am new to this forum and am very pleased that there are so many sport kite flyers out there. I have been flying for about 6 months now, so I know I am new and do not know much, but I have couple questions;

1. Can anyone tell me how to put a kite in FADE from flying up (all you have proboable terminology for this). I saw few videos that show flyers starting from the ground flying up and then all of a sudden they rotate the kite into FADE. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. I have very hard time rolling the kite. Currently I am flying the Widow and it comes with yoyo stoppers. When flying up, I can flare the kite backwords but when I am trying to pop it forward it just resumes flying up, it doesn't want to come forward for the strong pop. Please help. I have adjusted my bristle back so it will allow me to fly in a lighter winds. Because it is back, can this stop me from doing a roll up?

Once again, thanks in advance.

Paul
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:34 AM »

On 1)
I see most doing this with a broken-axel to fade.   You essentially do half of an axel until the kite is nose away (as in a flare) and then pull to the fade.   You can also do this one by popping one line (like the axel), and then pulling the other line to bring the nose around, and then applying tension to both lines in order to catch the kite in a fade.

On 2)
I think the easiest way to roll up on that kite would be the one pop.   Fly up and when you are about half way up the window, pull hard to create a lot of sail pressure and then immediately throw your arms forward and perhaps even step forward as well.  The kite will roll right around so be ready to more gently reapply line tension in order to catch the lines and then fly off rolled up.  The tension-build and then release should be very fast and you need enough slack to allow the kite to rotate or the lines will prevent the rollup.

I recommend getting Dodds flying video, he covers the first and I think also the second.

Welcome to freestyle by the way!  Smiley

6 kite tom
THE ONE

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00 AM »

On 1)
I see most doing this with a broken-axel to fade.   You essentially do half of an axel until the kite is nose away (as in a flare) and then pull to the fade.   You can also do this one by popping one line (like the axel), and then pulling the other line to bring the nose around, and then applying tension to both lines in order to catch the kite in a fade.
Thanks a lot for advice. I understand what you are suggesting and I have tried this but everytime I flare the kite and than trying to bring the nose up, the kite catches the wind and flyes towards the ground. It is one of two things from what I can see; either I am not pulling hard enough or I do not give enough slack. I do not know, I guess I keep trying.  Sad

On 2)
I think the easiest way to roll up on that kite would be the one pop.   Fly up and when you are about half way up the window, pull hard to create a lot of sail pressure and then immediately throw your arms forward and perhaps even step forward as well.  The kite will roll right around so be ready to more gently reapply line tension in order to catch the lines and then fly off rolled up.  The tension-build and then release should be very fast and you need enough slack to allow the kite to rotate or the lines will prevent the rollup.

I have tried numerous times what you just said, but as far as back I can go is just to "turttle" position and no matter how much slack I give it just stays there.  Embarrassed

Paul
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:27 AM »

Adjusting your bridle so the upper outhaul is the shortest length allowed by your adjustment knots will give the kite the most forward drive and make roll ups a bit easier.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28 AM »

If you have a camera and can post a video of what you are doing, that is probably the best way to see what is wrong.

On 1) have you tried the pancake to fade?  You fly down and then flare and then lift for the fade.  I think this is an easier way to start and it will also allow you to get the feel for the flare to fade move.

On 2) it is probably just a speed thing.  The initial snap and the release can be fairly intense initially and then you can back it off to only what you need.  Its a speed move, not a power move.  Apply pressure and then immediately release it all in less than a half-second.   If you think about what will happen, the kite will essentially 'bounce' off the sail pressure and then pitch around itself.  Like throwing a ball at a wall, you have to throw it hard enough to bounce back so you can catch it.

6 kite tom
THE ONE

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:47 AM »

have you tried the pancake to fade?  You fly down and then flare and then lift for the fade
it is probably just a speed thing

All your comments start to make more and more sense. It seems that with a lot of tricks, it is not about "pulling hard" but it is about the speed and timing. I have lot to learn, but I will enjoy every step of the way.

I will also try DWayne suggestions with bridle adjustment, becasue as it is now it is totally the other way.

Paul
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:53 AM »

Sometimes when starting out it is easier to take the kite all the way to the top of the window, square in the middle to where the kite is starting to stall, trow your arms forward and take a step or two forward.  The widow should roll right around and then you can fly off.  Wind speed shouldn't really be a factor, but more will keep the kite centered and easier to catch the stoppers.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
THE ONE

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16 AM »

Another great point, I will have to start there and see where I end up. Maybe ohh maybe one day all my tricks will be closer to the ground.

Paul
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12 PM »

Flying straight up and then popping into a fade can only be a.....

YO-FADE.

All of you failed here.   Cheesy

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Shane

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Flying straight up and then popping into a fade can only be a.....

YO-FADE.

All of you failed here.   Cheesy

obi

... Isn't flying straight "down" and popping into a fade a YO-FADE???   Wink Wink Wink

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
obijuankenobe

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Wow.  You're right. 

Who failed?   Cheesy

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
THE ONE

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 01:29 PM »

So what do you call it when you flying straight up and then popping intoa fade?

Paul
obijuankenobe

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33 PM »

Well, now that I have been appropriately taken down a peg.   Cheesy

Seriously, maybe you can post a link to one of the videos you refer to.

I am pretty sure that strictly speaking, you can't just pop directly into a fade flying straight up.

obi

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34 PM »

So what do you call it when you flying straight up and then popping into a fade?

You can't fly straight up and pop into a fade.
You can fly straight up and half axel into a fade.
You can fly straight up and pop into the beginning of a crazy copter.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
THE ONE

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43 PM »

You are correct, you cannot pop into a fade when flying straight up. This is actually straight up and half axel into a fade. I apologize for the confusion.

Paul
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document