GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 05:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Devil Std.  (Read 1742 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 27, 2011, 03:46 AM »

Hi to all
I know we all have some favorite kite which is best connect to our flying stile and way how we tricks.
For me it is Sea Devil
Is there any kite similar to SD (which can easy flick-flack without dead spots, good precision, to keep looooooong and stabile fade, ability to fly in low wind, easy to yo-yos, very easy to cascade, ready for slow and fast tricks, very predictable ...).
So much think are good about SD.
I know You will say: Fearless and Transformer can repleace SD.
But Fearless has little different touch and need to teach it and Transformer is tricky  but NOT Sea Devil size.
I think Lams kite are unique with unique feel.
Very good combination:
Extra good kite + extra good bridle= extra nice ability to fly
So does only Lamís kite has that specific kind of unique feel as SD has. If answer is ""yes"" than the only replacement for the Sea Devil would be again only  kite from Lam''s kite familly or I''m wrong. SD is kite from 2005. Does exist kite similar to SD but update version in kiteís world?
The unique SD feel is only connect with Lam's kite stile?

Maybe You can help me to answer this question because I didnít have chance to fly other kites and to compare them with SD.
Thanks to all for Your thinking
Smooth Wind

boris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:06 AM by vigli » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08 AM »

I tried a SD once and I thought it was quirkier than my Deep Space or my Widow Maker. The DS is a little harder to turtle and lazy susan but it's a trait you have to learn to deal with. It cascades beautifully and will lock into a fade and it's not hard to yoyo following Tim Benson's T&T tutorial. The WM is just an all around easy kite to fly. Both are great, IMHO. Generally, it seems that almost any kite in the upper price range will be no brainers.

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30 AM »

If you're looking for a predictable, neutral kite that can do most or all of the tricks... try a Widow Maker. I have 2 Sea Devils, a standard and a light, so I'm familiar with how good they are. I also have two Fearless, but they're nothing like the Sea Devil. It took me 30-50 hours on the lines to get used to the Fearless after flying the Sea Devil for 2 years. I don't know if I ever really got used to them, and don't really miss the one that's been broken for months.
Actually, both my Sea Devils have been on the repair pile for close to a year also. The Widow Maker has filled the gap left by both of them with one kite. The standard WM flies in almost as low winds as the SD light, and I can fly it right up to 15mph, where I stop flying dual-lines anyway.
If you enjoy and get along with  the SD, you'll be able to fly the WM right out of the bag, the first flight. No time wasted getting used to a quirky kite, just fly & enjoy. The WM also can make some nice straight lines and sharp corners... not the best, but pretty good.
~Rob.

THE ONE

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25 AM »

The Widow Maker has filled the gap left by both of them with one kite

I noticed you have mantioned a WM, I own a Widow by Premier and have a question. If WM and W are vertualy the same design (I understand that materials used to make the kite are different), are you experiencing oversteer issues with WM, my W in lighter winds oversteers a lot. Any advise?

Paul
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:38 AM »

take the weight out, try powering out of turns to control the extra mass, move more. Give that a shot and see what helps. I've only flown the Widow from Premier in lower winds and have had no issues with oversteer?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
THE ONE

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06 AM »

I usually add the weight while flying in stronger winds, it seems it is working for me. Probably a stupid question but can you explain in more detail
try powering out of turns to control the extra mass

Paul
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:22 AM »

yes but we'll have to do it in a PM- dont want to hijack the thread.

Boris, I'd give a WidowMaker a shot for sure. A fantastic kite and super easy to get in touch with. If you'd like something maybe a little smaller and more fast paced, I'd also try and Ocius. I'd also suggest the Solus but I'll let more people speak of that when more kites get moving as well. Maybe try some searching on youtube to see what kind of kites in the vidos you THINK you might like, and make a list- then narrow it down, etc.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35 AM »

If the SD works so well for you, why not just stick with it?  It's an amazing kite and plenty of folks are doing mad tricks with kites than are MUCH older in design. 

Personally, I much prefer the SD to the WM, but certainly try it for yourself.  I think you are correct in that Lams kites have a unique feel - all the best kites that I've tried do.  I like kites that do most everything well and excel in a few areas.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:41 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45 AM »

Hi Tpatter
You said:"" It's an amazing kite and plenty of folks are doing mad tricks with kites than are MUCH older in design.""
You mean that older design as SD are doing plenty of tricks as new design kites? 
I'm I correct? Did I understand You good?
thanks

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:47 AM by vigli » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:11 PM »

Hi Tpatter
You said:"" It's an amazing kite and plenty of folks are doing mad tricks with kites than are MUCH older in design.""
You mean that older design as SD are doing plenty of tricks as new design kites? 
I'm I correct? Did I understand You good?
thanks

Yeah, I am saying, aside from perhaps a more fringe kite-design specific trick like a riser, it does everything anything else does and most things really really well.  It also may not Taz as easily as a TNT, but it will certainly Taz to a reasonable degree.

6 kite tom
obijuankenobe

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:43 PM »

Here are some SD taz machines from north of the Arctic Circle:

Svalbard stunt kite sighting

Start the video at about 1 minute (to avoid the amateurish sped up clip in the beginning).  I was really just starting to rock this trick when I shot this footage.  The rest of the video is pretty weak.  But the taz machines, at least some of them, are pretty tight.

Damn, the SD is a great kite.  I know you are curious, but if you like 'em...stick with 'em. 

I think the suggestion from Rob, because he too has flown SD's, is probably a good one...Widow Maker.  I get along well with the Transfers (prefer the big one), as well as the Nirvana and the elusive Vendetta. 

obi
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:50 PM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
obijuankenobe

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:07 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...you need a LIGHT.

The light is framed in 3PT and is Icarex (assuming you have a nylon standard).

The kite in the above video is such a Light, and it is easily the best SD I have flown.  Wind range is great on the low end, and is slightly overpowered around when the standard really grooves.  A perfect 2nd SD, which will end up being your primary kite.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
vigli

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:40 AM »

thanks a lot Obi for advice.
I have 2 standard Sea Devil. They are bouth std.
BUT !!! one is heavy the other one is light standard.
One is made with nylon and other with Icarex.
Nylon version is 20 grams heavier and weight distribution is different. They fly the same but nylon version has little bit more inertia I think and need slightly more wind.
Icarex version has less weight it is more floaty and slightly different in cascade. I think Icarex version teach me even better doing technic of cascade (second pop in cascade)...
But I like that LITTLE difference between 2 modelsAnd just to say-white kites look so nice on the blue sky. They just shine....
all best
boris

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:07 AM by vigli » Logged
vigli

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41 AM »

thanks Tpatter
ohhh yesss I'm more then a stick to SD. I was just wondering similarity SD with other kites
I have a plenty of stuff to learn with it.   
You said ""a more fringe kite-design specific trick like a riser""
Is ""riser"" a rising a kite in the turtle position???
thanks

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:56 AM by vigli » Logged
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48 PM »

I had a standard Sea Devil for years and LOVED it.  I only sold it when someone offered me too much money.

I have a Widowmaker (LOVE this one too!) and would have to say it has a similar way of behaving.  It is very well balanced, very neutral (no quirks that put it significantly apart from other tricksters), and rewards learners and competent flyers equally.  Build quality is top!  Great sewing by Heads Up, fantastic framing and finish from Jon Trennepohl.

I did have a Fearless for a short while.  The behaviour was sufficiently different from the Sea Devil for me to never really gel with it, but that is a personal thing, not a reflection on the kite.  First time I flew the Widowmaker I was able to do all the stuff I usually do, plus have the confidence in the kite to progress to other tricks.

Well worth considering.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document