GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 06:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You've got to be kidding me....  (Read 2223 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 06:06 AM »

I never - hardly ever - use kite stakes anymore.  If once you attach the lines, hold the kite from behind, roll the nose back towards you so the lines run over the lower spreaders and over the trailing edge, put the kite on the ground nose forward in the dead launch position into the wind with lines running over the back of the kite. Go to your straps, give them a gentle pull and the kite will roll over into the launch position. This works even in the strongest winds.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44 AM »

To avoid loosing anything I tend to keep all my kite stuff in the same backpack, that includes various line sets (UL, short, long and quads), Rev handles, screwdriver (for the Revs only), tripod, camera, sun block, sun glasses and a hat or cap. To avoid loosing my stake (screwdriver, of course) I put it in my pocket every time I grab my handles, it is stuck in the ground only when I'm not flying. A stake is not very usefull if you don't have it at hand when you need to land your kite.
As for the kites, I use to carry them in a large kite bag when I go to the flying field with the car, usually carrying a 4D, a set of UL and STD dualies and a set of Revs (STD and Full VTD) to cover almost all wind conditions.
If going with the bicycle, I have to be more careful choosing just a couple of kites, usually a STD dual and a full VTD Rev, then I strap them to the frame of the bike using some velcro straps.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 07:38 AM »

Exactly like Gerardo said, when you pick up your lines to fly, put your stake (or screwdriver) in your pocket. I've flown with people that just leave it stuck in the ground, and don't understand that. When you land, pull the stake out of your pocket, and stake it down.

As far as the 'murphy's law' of kiting... too much wind, too little wind, bad wind direction... yeah, I hear that ! Patience is a virtue...   Smiley

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11 AM »

I never use a stake. Before dualies had stand offs, I'd stake my kite just like a quad. It was pretty much required but now it's not needed.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography