GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E2 vs. Skyburner Freestylist  (Read 3087 times)
Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 30, 2009, 04:18 PM »

Ok, so I got to actually spend some time with my new kites today and I have a few statements and questions.

First the Freestylist flies soooooo much better, 10 mph wind and it was a dream to fly turned on a dime with or with out a tail. Could not snap stall it to save my life (with out the tail of course) however flying to the edge of the window I could control the stall much easier. From my input turns were clean and precise.

2nd E2 much sloppier turns... almost like the kite wanted to rotate on the center axis like a pinwheel. Flying all around not as pleasing however very easy to snap stall, spin land and completely by accident did a wing tip stand.

Is what I am describing correct or just my sucking at modern tricks? I just feel much more confident flying the Freestylist over the E2.

Do shorter lines help the learning process ? I am flying 100' 200lb lines at the moment  (yes I know they are too heavy I'll have 90lb lines tomorrow) would 50' lines be easier to learn on?

Does any one actually fly the kites or is everyone just freestyling them?

Thanks
Mitchell

P.S. It was a beautiful blue day here in Ct. partly cloudily 8-12 mph winds all day 65f Smiley   

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:03 PM »

it  sound  like you have the basic  down  so   maybe  75-85' foot  line  would be better   but 50'  line  make  ya have to think real fast   at least  for  me   going  down  to 90#  lines  will be a big help also  I love both my freestylist

Good air always Bobby
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15 PM »

When I was learning, 65' x 90# lines were the best thing I ever did.  Later, as I started to do more slack line tricks, I moved up to 75-85'.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45 PM »

75's for me, that Freestylist will even work well on 50's and I've often used them in restricted spaces in winds 10-15 mph and over. Check your bridle on the Freestylist, it should stall nicely but in the center of the window at 10+ mph you'll have to move downwind quickly to hold it. I can keep the drive off mine directly downwind pretty easily in 10 + mph by staying low to the ground and the kite likes playing at only 10' off the deck so use it to your advantage. Higher up you'll have to play to the side but it'll hang over there easily too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:20 AM »

The E2 is a great kite for learning tricks, but its not the best at holding a line or carving a nice turn. But its really forgiving with the old school tricks.  I think its good that you're thinking about flying lines and shapes.  Beautiful to watch, satisfying to do and not all that easy.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42 PM »

Crimson,

Have you done any adjustments to your bridles at all?  Most beginners to the sport get the notion that the bridles are set up at the factory and should never be touched or you will screw up your kite.  This is far from the truth!

Bridles are set from the factory in a "Neutral" position.  This is a setting that the manufacturer says should be good for optimum wind conditions.  ALL BRIDLES ON PROFESSIONALLY MADE KITES ARE MADE TO BE ADJUSTED FOR THE DIFFERENT WIND CONDITIONS.

A couple of basic generalizations on bridle adjustments:
There are usually two settings that most kite flyers will refer to on a kite bridle setting.  Either the kite is set "Heavy" or the kite is set "Light"

A "Heavy" setting usually means that the bridle is set up in a way that the sail is very flat (perpendicular) to the wind.  When you launch the kite, the kite will rise up from the initial launch and then kind of hesitate and even fall back down to the ground...like it is to heavy to fly.

a "Light" setting may also be referred to as "To much forward drive" (this is what your Freestylist sounds like in your post).  The kite flies forward very fast and is very hard to stall out.  This is usually caused when the bridle is set with the nose of the kite more towards the pilot and the sail is not flat against the wind.

Usually, you can adjust your bridle to either bring the nose forward (lighter) or drop the nose back (heavier) for the different wind conditions.  For flying in your stated 10+ mph winds, I would drop the nose back so that the sail is standing more upright (heavier setting).  This will give the kite less forward drive and make it much easier to snap stall and hold its position without having to run like mad downwind to hold the kite there (you will still need to move, but not nearly as much or as fast).  If you try and fly your kite but the wind is to light and the kite just drops back onto the ground like a brick, bring the nose forward to give the kite more forward drive (light setting).  Setting your kite somewhat "Heavy" will make it easier to snap stall and work on some of your slack line tricks. Wink

The kites will have a different way of setting the bridle. Some kites have pigtails on the upper leading edge that you can connect to different knots for your settings.  Most kites will have a larks head style knot close to the flying line attachment point that you can open up and slide up towards the nose or down towards the (outter wing or spine) to set the bridle.  If you inspect your bridle, you should see the adjustment point and on your Freestylist will have a mark on the bridle that you can use as a reference point to make your adjustments.  The mark will also let you put the bridle back to the factory setting after adjusting should you ever need to re-start from ground zero. Smiley

I hope this info helps yourself as well as others who may have the same questions or need of information as you.

Good luck - Fly - and have fun!!!

Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:53 PM »

Yes, I did play around with the bridal and standoff settings on the E2, I only messed around with the bridal settings on the Freestylist (standoffs were in the middle). I may try moving the Freestylist a little more aggressively and my standoffs out.

Thanks for the info,

MItchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 03:06 PM »

Middle  is  default  on the  freestylist  for the  stand offs  Mitch  not  sure  which  knot  your  on  at  the  upper  spreader  but    try  droping  1  knot  and  see  if  you like  it any better  in the  stall

Good air always Bobby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change