GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty/Dead Launch  (Read 3039 times)
THE ONE
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 29, 2011, 09:11 AM »

I am new to sport kiting and have a probelm figure out how to lunch a kite in the air when it is laying belly down facing me. I have seen videos where people are capeable of doing it when it is on sand, but can you do it on the grass. I am tired performing my "walks of shame" everytime it happens. I have read about people who can do it on the grass but did not see any videos of how to do it. I have heard that if the kite is laying belly down facing you and it is at the edge of the window, you need to lift the outside wing up and then pull on the wing laying down to catch the wind in a sail. I have never seen anyone do it, so I was hoping for some advice from all you experts. Keep in mind I am taking about lunching from grass. Any ideas you might have or if you can point me to right vidoes, I would really appreciate.

Edit:- I can take it no more. Seriously....dead lunch ? Title corrected, rest left alone.
zippy8
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:37 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Paul
vigli

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:43 AM »

Sleeping Beauty/Dead launch Studies

I think this will help You
good luck.... Smiley
THE ONE

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:51 AM »

Vigil, thanks for the post but actually this videos inspired the subject of my post. The only thing, if you noticed, is that he is lunching from a hard surface. I know this lunch is possible from hard sand or concrete, but doing the way that Martin does on this video is not possible to do it on the grass.

Paul
vigli

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31 AM »

I see....
well hope some other will help. I don't start in dead lauch. I walk to the kite and  think were do I go wrong..... Wink
RonG
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:50 AM »

I like my lunch best when it's dead.  I don't like fighting with my food. Shocked

As for the dead launch - it's up to you but honestly IMO it's not worth the potential damage on most kites.  Some kites are more receptive to it than others, but as you become a better flier you'll find that you very rarely end up with the kite in dead launch position anyway.  As you point out, a hard surface makes it a little easier, but then you're jerking the spine tunnel and leading edges of your kite across a hard and probably abrasive surface.

Seriously, in my experience time is much better spent learning how not to get the kite in a belly-down, nose-forward position in the first place.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07 AM »

I like my lunch best when it's dead.  I don't like fighting with my food. Shocked

As for the dead launch - it's up to you but honestly IMO it's not worth the potential damage on most kites.  Some kites are more receptive to it than others, but as you become a better flier you'll find that you very rarely end up with the kite in dead launch position anyway.  As you point out, a hard surface makes it a little easier, but then you're jerking the spine tunnel and leading edges of your kite across a hard and probably abrasive surface.

Seriously, in my experience time is much better spent learning how not to get the kite in a belly-down, nose-forward position in the first place.

+1 what Ron said

Sine Metu!
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07 AM »

As for the dead launch - it's up to you but honestly IMO it's not worth the potential damage on most kites. 

Agreed. I have broken a few lower spreaders doing the dead launch. Not worth it, the walk will do you good.

See ya,
Bill
THE ONE

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31 AM »

Please don't get me wrong, I do not want to break the sail or break the spreaders and I do understand what RonG says
as you become a better flier you'll find that you very rarely end up with the kite in dead launch position

This just became very tempting idea after hearing that people do that. I am just curious, if it is POSSIBLY to do it and ofcourse not damage the kite.

Paul
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:58 AM »

It is possible to do it and not damage your kite on grass; but the probability that you will damage your kite is high, especially as a newer flier. I'd say 100% probability for new fliers, 50-60% for experienced dead launchers.

Dead launching is not worth it unless you have no problem with damaging your kites.

It is also very stressful to the structure and bridle of the kite; so even if you don't break sticks or rip the sail you are beating the crap out of it.

Just say no.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:17 PM by JimB » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:02 PM »

For most modern kites the Dead Launch sooner or later means a dead kite! Cry

It's not a walk of shame, it's a walk of contemplation! Grin

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
vigli

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:07 PM »

If You really won a learn it, find cheep kite and enjoy....without scare about Your favorite kite.  Huh Huh Huh
But as somone above said-You will not offen be in belly down nose forward to You position!!!
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:19 PM »

You can do what I do and fly on 50' lines - it makes the walk half as bad. 
mama74

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20 PM »

Here's my view at the dead launch.
It's easiest on hard surfaces, since you need something for the kite to bounce back from. Short cut grass is also possible, but the softer the surface, the harder it gets. I dead launch almost only from hard sand, with a succes rate of about, i guess, 75%. On grass I mostly don't even bother trying, it's just too difficult.

And I've never broken anything dead launching my kites...  Smiley  

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26 PM »

A bit of history.

By the early '90s standoffs had made relaunching from some positions much easier, but kites still got stuck in various positions on the ground. Folks started to design kites to be easy to relaunch. It became a standard type of "feature". By the mid '90s some folks had discoved that kites with highly curved leading edges could dead launch fairly easily and this was sold as a new feature and demoed in videos, etc. Kites like the Prism Fanatic and Illusion are basically easy to dead launch,  but it still can really trash the kite. If you flew a Fanatic on a perfect surface and had some skill, the dead launch could be a regular move, if you accepted the risk.

Modern kites with straighter LEs are much harder to dead launch. It's a dead move.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:27 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
THE ONE

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36 PM »

Thank you so much for all the posts, you guys are great and I appreciate it a lot.

I hope you will not hate me for changing the post a bit, but what about belly up and the kite point towards you. I know it is possible to rotate it and lunch it from the ground or flipping it and lunch it into fade.

Are there any other options? I can start a new post if you all disegree to continue in this one.

I know I am new and some of my qyestions might seems silly to some of you but I do not have anyone in my area to learn from that is why I am sking questions.

Paul
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum