GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty/Dead Launch  (Read 3037 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40 PM »

There are lots of ways to relaunch when it is belly up nose towards... Like you said..
1. You can cartwheel it and get it back into launch position.
2. You can flip it over so it is belly down, nose away from you and launch into a fade.
then,
3. You can do what Martin does in the video and pull one line and kinda spin it into a dead launch position and pull before it settles to the ground...
4. If you have roll bars on your kite (like I do) then you can just kinda rock it back and forth and get the wind to launch it into a fade...

thants all I can think of.
Hope it helps

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06 PM »

If you don't have anyone near you it might be a  good idea to get yourself one of the training DVD's. I like 'Flight School' by Dodd Gross as it not only tricks but also some of the basic stuff that the other DVd's don't cover. I found it very helpful when I was starting out.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 01:20 PM »

I lost 30 pounds doing The Walk. T'wasn't fun, but looking back I realize how much I learned. I then went to 20ft lines as recommended in Mark Reed's video and it made a HUGE difference.... both in the length of The Walk and what I could see. It didn't take long to figure out how to get myself back into the air and more importantly, how to not land belly down/facing me (awkward though I am at times). It still happens, but usually only once or twice a session.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
THE ONE

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34 PM »

You can cartwheel it and get it back into launch position

This sound really interesting, how you do that? Or can you point me to any video tutorials?

Paul
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49 PM »

so if you've ever seen someone walk briskly into a glass door, you know how their face and body bounces off, contorting with a mix of surprise and pain right before they fall over?

think of the dead launch as doing the same thing to the kite, but in that snapshot moment after the bounce, but before the fall, you're there to change the outcome. in the case of the bouncing face preventing the fall is as easy as placing your hand on the person's back. with the bouncing kite you're there to swoop the lines and fly off. in either case, the heroic outcome is hardly worth the event.

i've done it/do it on occasion, but only on my kites, and never suggest it to others. as martin stated, a harder surface is key, but also is being in the middle of the window. if you give one pull and the nose of the kite doesn't bounce into the air, just walk.

Fdeli
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56 PM »

If the kite is laying nose towards you on its back you can pull the lines and get it to  'dig in' its nose and then stand onto one of the leading edges. From there it is kinda like an axel; a pop of the side of the kite that is off of the ground and then managing the clack as it rolls over.
I found this on you tube
Cerf Volant acrobatique : Le cartwheel

On the dead launch, I fly mostly on grass and cant get enough of  "bounce" out of a kite to get it to launch, so it just gets dragged on the ground; to much chance of tearing something up. You can sometimes avoid  getting in a dead launch position by giving a lazy susan type pull to get the kite to rotate around just before it hits the ground.
ymmv

Sine Metu!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 06:54 PM »

Best advice I got was to spend most of my time learning ground maneuvers, then move to air born tricks.

When learning each new trick your kite spends lots of time on the ground. Then the time spent learning ground maneuvers will be reward 10 fold.

While trying to learn the half axel (its still kicking my butt) I must have had the kite on the ground 15 to 20 times. Was able to relaunch all but once.  Smiley 

A guy comes over and says never seen anyone be able to land and take off so well.  Huh   I'm sure he was not an AKA judge.  Cheesy
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 10:05 PM »

A bit of history.

By the early '90s standoffs had made relaunching from some positions much easier, but kites still got stuck in various positions on the ground. Folks started to design kites to be easy to relaunch. It became a standard type of "feature". By the mid '90s some folks had discoved that kites with highly curved leading edges could dead launch fairly easily and this was sold as a new feature and demoed in videos, etc. Kites like the Prism Fanatic and Illusion are basically easy to dead launch,  but it still can really trash the kite. If you flew a Fanatic on a perfect surface and had some skill, the dead launch could be a regular move, if you accepted the risk.

Modern kites with straighter LEs are much harder to dead launch. It's a dead move.

I concur - I can dead launch under the right circumstances but the kites I use now and the field I usually fly just don't allow it. So I don't even try. Even the Sleeping Beauty is better off a hard surface or very short grass.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 06:18 PM »

Sleeping beauty can be done on grass very easily.  I do it more than I would like to say. Smiley

THE ONE

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28 PM »

How you so it, if you don't mind sharing?

Paul
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06 AM »

Tricky Flickery.

Right around 9:09 at the end of Part One:

Tricky Flickery Part 1 of 3

The last bit ends up at the beginning of Part Two. Check out 11sec. in:

Tricky Flickery Part 2 of 3

And here's Part Three Just because it is my favorite kite video and you should see the whole thing, you really should:

Tricky Flickery Part 3 of 3
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:16 AM by JimB » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48 PM »

The way I do the sleeping beauty:

First, I pull each line slightly to make sure the kite is not going to snag or hang up on anything.  With a couple soft tugs, you should be able to tell if the kite will spin on its back easily.  If it won't spin, the trick won't work.

The first pull can be either the left hand or right hand and it is a pull, not a pop.  More of a lawn mower starter pull or long draw.  You want the speed to be enough to get the kite to spin around half way, but not so strong that the kite rips around like a propeller.  To strong and the kite will over-rotate, to soft and the kite won't rotate around enough.  This is one that is better to soft than to strong.  If it is to soft, just re-align the kite and try again a little firmer.  To strong and you will probably be walking to the kite. Smiley   Also, do not move back or take up the slack in the lines until the kite has completed the rotation!!!

The timing and strength of the pull is what is important - remember, the first pull is NOT a pop.  You want to pull hard enough to get the kite to rotate 1/2 turn and with the nose facing directly down towards the ground.  To get this, the kite has to spin fast enough that the wing tips of the kite lift up off the ground a little while the nose points down.  With the proper amount of patience and timing, when the nose of the kite is pointing directly down towards the ground, pop both hands and step back and the nose should flip upwards and you can fly straight up like a normal launch.  Once you get the timing down, this trick is very easy to do.

Simplified order of movements:
Draw one hand back firmly, wait for kite to get into position, pop both hands and step back.

If you screw up the pop, the kite will land nose down in the dead launch position....time to check the kite and see what is wrong with it because it didn't do the sleeping beauty right. Smiley

Hope that helps.

THE ONE

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55 AM »

JimB, thanks for the videos I have never seen them before, a bit different from typical tutorials but I really like it. Where these guys are from?

Kent, thanks for the detail explonation of how it is done. Based on a lot of previous posts, almost everyone says it is not a good idea, but, in life, it is about trying and doing things that might not be possible. EVERY CHALLANGE IS AN OPORTUNITY FOR GREATNESS. This is what I live by, so I will try your idea. Thanks again.

Paul
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 06:47 AM »

JimB, thanks for the videos I have never seen them before, a bit different from typical tutorials but I really like it. Where these guys are from?
Brighton, In-ger-land.

They would be Andy Preston and Paul Latham. Andy Preston designed the Stranger for Flexifoil (for whom this is VHS video #4) and that was the first trick kite. He is a truly pivotal figure in our world and a little knowledge of his work would be to everyone's benefit.

The Dead Launch is the sort of thing you try before you know better. I've tried it, even done it, but that was a long time ago and I'm a lot smarter now (at least in some respects).

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 10:21 AM »

Kent, thanks for the detail explonation of how it is done. Based on a lot of previous posts, almost everyone says it is not a good idea, but, in life, it is about trying and doing things that might not be possible. EVERY CHALLANGE IS AN OPORTUNITY FOR GREATNESS. This is what I live by, so I will try your idea. Thanks again.

Kent was explaining the Sleeping Beauty launch not the Dead Launch. Very different tricks. The Sleeping Beauty is an easy trick while the Dead Launch is much more difficult and can lead to kite damage if done incorrectly.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum