GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Light wind kite recommendations?  (Read 4425 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 06:47 AM »

Actually the smaller Wala (Aerobe) handles a pretty good wind, the original video's showed them being flown from the back of a Ferry. It's not a kite that will fly by itself in 1 mph though, you have to work it by pulling in line to gain altitude then turning it and letting it glide away to give you enough line to do the next pull in. All the gliding kites require you to work.

I can confirm that the Wala handles a heavy wind. I've flown mine a lot-- usually after trying to fly my dual line kite, after the wind has died down, but for some reason, the winds often get heavier as it gets late. In any case, I've been amazed at how much it can take-- at least 15-20mph. The tail is no longer crispy, but the kite is still hanging in there.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »

I have a Wala and I think it's a great kite for light wind.  It's the kite I go to if I can't get anything else to fly.

It makes a large presence because it comes with a huge tail.  Unfortunately my tail is starting to fray, because a curious dog grabbed the tail as I was launching in a park.  Are replacement tails available anywhere?
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:21 PM »

if you want to replace the original tail i would suggest the Prism Nexus Tails as they are ripstop nylon (as opposed to the Micron tails which are plastic).....6$ and a handful of colors...Steve here at Chicokites can get them for you....
They are actually sweet tails that are easy to attach, colorful and long lasting......
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mark E Mark

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 04:10 PM »

I would like to purchase a nice SLK that flies well in light winds (1-3mph).
Also something strong enough to handle an occasional gust of maybe 12-15mph. Thanks in advance.

In my experience there is no such thing, you are being over ambitious in your requirement. 12-15mph is ambitious for a standard, never mind a SUL - hopefully you have your wind ranges wrong.

As a group, 1 to 3 mph is very little wind indeed. Once you get to 3 to 4 mph some standard weight kites will fly ( like the Deepspace), and by fly I mean get in the air and be able to trick it - with care. There aren't that many kites that you can actually trick in very, very low winds and those that can are really very delicate things. I've got a rather nice Akuji SUL, but I hardly ever have the right light but smooth wind for it. Most of the time I have lumpy wind and would rather coax the low end of my Talon UL. Admittedly it won't fly in 1, or 2 mph of wind, but as soon as you get to 3mph it is a much more meaningful proposition and it really will tolerate bursts of stronger winds.
thief

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15 PM »

I would like to purchase a nice SLK that flies well in light winds (1-3mph).
Also something strong enough to handle an occasional gust of maybe 12-15mph. Thanks in advance.

In my experience there is no such thing, you are being over ambitious in your requirement. 12-15mph is ambitious for a standard, never mind a SUL - hopefully you have your wind ranges wrong.

As a group, 1 to 3 mph is very little wind indeed. Once you get to 3 to 4 mph some standard weight kites will fly ( like the Deepspace), and by fly I mean get in the air and be able to trick it - with care. There aren't that many kites that you can actually trick in very, very low winds and those that can are really very delicate things. I've got a rather nice Akuji SUL, but I hardly ever have the right light but smooth wind for it. Most of the time I have lumpy wind and would rather coax the low end of my Talon UL. Admittedly it won't fly in 1, or 2 mph of wind, but as soon as you get to 3mph it is a much more meaningful proposition and it really will tolerate bursts of stronger winds.
Hey Mark:
i think you read that SLK as something different....there are many single line kites that can handle wind ranges like that....sport kites not as much.....
perfect example: Ramlal Tien's Bird....i have flown it indoors...and in 30mph without worry........

Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42 PM »

Yes, I'm referring to a Single Line kite with these capabilities. I have ordered a Wala Aerobe. Thank you all for your input. Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Mark E Mark

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 01:06 AM »

How silly of me - that's the danger of using ones phone late at night Sad.

Sorry all
thief

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 03:31 AM »

How silly of me - that's the danger of using ones phone late at night Sad.

Sorry all
No worries!
Btw i like your profile image Wink

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46 AM »

The Wala is a nice kite and hasn't set you back too much money to see if you enjoy that type of flying. If you don't at 3-4 & above it's a fine static single line so you can stake it out and sit back.

The curve of the spine is adjustable at the rear, Thanks to KingJ (John) I found that relaxing the curve slightly increased it's glide capabilities, for me the kite became more enjoyable. It was just a slight relaxing from where mine was when received, it's still curved plenty to recover from a dive, it just relieved me from having to keep perfect tension on the line to keep a forward glide.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Thanks for the info mikenchico.   Smiley     I hope to meet with you guys that fly in Chico someday. I live about 2 hrs. away which is not bad. Just always busy, busy. You know.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
vigli

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47 PM »

Canard is very nice. So elegant , so stabile, very simple , so unique.
my favorite low wind single kite
appleb

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05 AM »

The Wala is a nice kite and hasn't set you back too much money to see if you enjoy that type of flying. If you don't at 3-4 & above it's a fine static single line so you can stake it out and sit back.

The curve of the spine is adjustable at the rear, Thanks to KingJ (John) I found that relaxing the curve slightly increased it's glide capabilities, for me the kite became more enjoyable. It was just a slight relaxing from where mine was when received, it's still curved plenty to recover from a dive, it just relieved me from having to keep perfect tension on the line to keep a forward glide.

Any idea how to keep a Wala from veering to the right?  Mine seems to be constantly pulling in that direction instead of straight.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 08:28 AM »

Me too.

Canard is very nice. So elegant , so stabile, very simple , so unique.
my favorite low wind single kite
thief

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17 AM »

a) make sure that the all of the rods are seated fully and correctly in the fittings...
b) putting the tail off the wingtips in a giant U shape helps as well

Any idea how to keep a Wala from veering to the right?  Mine seems to be constantly pulling in that direction instead of straight.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document