GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14,121  (Read 1341 times)
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 01, 2011, 10:23 PM »

Hi
     just been way out western New South Wales, Australia in an attempt at the world altitude record for a single kite. Bob Moore is the team leader and I have been on of the crew for 3 attempts. This has been our best yet with a height of 14,121 feet above ground level. Only 388 ft short of the current record. The record attempt currently has a thread at http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=141107#141107 or can be viewed at kitesite.com and follow the links. I can say unequivocally that it is amazing to fly to these high altitudes. We will make another attempt next year and are confidant that with the right conditions we can achieve much greater heights.
        Mike
ghfisanotti

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »

Would like to know more about this, what kind of kite did you use for this attempt?, what kind of line? how do you manage such a long line? and most of all, how do you measure or estimate the altitude of the kite?
coogee

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 06:43 PM »

Hi
   we use a Dunton delta box as the kite. The kite is 2.8m in height and 6m in width. It is nearly 12sq metres. The kites has an instrument package that has a hand held GPS and a GPS with telemetry that transmits to a ground station that has a laptop to view all the telemetry in real time. The line is Dyneema. We use 12,000 m of line wound on to a spool. The line is controlled from a trailer mounted winch. The winch uses a capstan to winch the line eithor in or out and is wound on to the spool at a constant tension and layered as it is wound. The winch is controlled by an electric motor that is run through a control box that can vary speed and run the motor forward or backward. You can view the site for the attempt at http://www.kitesite.com.au/kiterecord/index.html
It requires lot of effort to fly these high altitudes. Not only in gear but in preplanning, teamwork during the flight and financing the attempt. I will say it is a hoot watching the big kite head into the sky!
 Mike
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:51 PM »

I read a lot of that thread at kitebuilder-- it's just amazing. I hate that you have to wait another whole year to try again, but just imagine how sweet it will feel when you finally beat the record! Then again, maybe it's all about the journey.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
coogee

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:42 AM »

I read a lot of that thread at kitebuilder-- it's just amazing. I hate that you have to wait another whole year to try again, but just imagine how sweet it will feel when you finally beat the record! Then again, maybe it's all about the journey.
The journey has been interesting but breaking the record will be very exciting. Launching the kite and watching it climb in a fresh breeze and just head into the sky is awesome!
     Mike
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Thanks for the detailed technical information, I've read it all and enjoyed every bit of it.
I can only imagine the cost of a 12 km reel of  Dyneema...., good thing you didn't have to pay for it...

Congratulations on your recent attempt and good luck for the next one!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document