GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L'Atelier XTZ  (Read 1035 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: October 02, 2011, 12:50 PM »

I fly this kite in high winds. I am assuming this is their high wind design kite. In this design run what would be the Standard Model or the next one down in the wind range???

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:00 AM »

From memory the Transfer series kites:

XTs UL
XTs Std
XTs Vent
approx. 2.6m

XTr UL
XTr Std
XTr Vent
approx. 2.4m

XTz
approx 2.1m

So the closest in size would be the XTr series, but you'd need to go 2nd hand.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39 AM »

From what I've read, the xt.z has a different personality from the xt.r family. I love the xt.r series. It's got amazing flic flacs and loves anything rotational.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12 AM »

Bob, you've flown my Xt.z.

The Xt.z isn't a high wind variant of the Transfer.

It's more of a trick oriented version. Similar kites, at least in class, would be the Cosmic TC XS, Nirvana FX, the DS, and Talon, Particularly the XS, and FX as they are reductions to existing designs as well.

Wind range is pretty standard. It needs about 5-6mph to be happy on the low end, but taps out in the upper Teens or so.

It is quite happy in 12-15mph though, so I suppose you could call it a high wind trick kite in that regard.

And Just to clarify, Ramlal is still making Transfers, at a price.

A forum member just picked up an Xt.r direct from L'Atelier.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:20 AM by JimB » Logged
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46 PM »

Jim - perhaps you forgot but when we met two years ago at Liberty State Park at the 2009 NJSKC you recommended the XTZ as a good high wind flyer and your exact quote was ... "this kite likes high wind" ... from my expereinces this kite really is NOT THAT DIFFICULT to trick in 15 mph winds say with 150# to slow it down a bit and even at 60'... even at my age (57) ... anyway ... so my question to the kite guru (you) is what would you pick as a similar tricking kite (behavior wise) in this series to the XTZ that Craig has listed in this thread as the best Standard or saying it this way ...  the kite loves its sweet spot at 6-8 mph and can handle a 5-15 mph wind range. Your pick Jim? XTs or XTr or neither kite. XTZ is unique. Thanks again!

APJ
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:57 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:23 PM »

Hi John,

I do remember.

As I said above I like it in 15mph, but it doesn't have much above that in the tricks department, maybe 18mph. It is not so much that it won't. It's more that the kite seems to get unhappy around 18mph or so. I'm always on the look out for something that does well in 20+.

I like the Transfer Xt.s VV for that sort of thing at the moment. It pulls quite a bit, but things slow down and it will trick.

The relationship between the Xt.z and the rest of the Transfer family is tenuous at best.

The Xt.s is going towards Team kite territory.

The Xt.r is the ballet kite.

Xt.z=out and out trick kite.

None of the other Transfers is really quite like the Xt.z, but the Xt.s is very comfortable on its back. It feels better balanced to me than the Xt.r.

It is not as fast and can feel a bit claustrophobic on anything less than 125' lines. It really wants to be out around 140+.

I own and fly all of the Transfers. I like each for what it is. But I don't find them all that similar to each other.

You are welcome to try mine out and make up your own mind. Let me know if you think we can meet up.
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Hmmm ... thanks. Your explanation here was really what I was looking for in which the XTZ is a kite of its own unique character. I will remember the XTs VV for 20+. It can be difficult at times getting good recommendations since I never really get to test out European type designs all too often. What I like about the XTZ is the way it can barrell roll once you get it going and tricks easily in 12 mph or so winds as most kites fly in 5 mph winds. You also know you can ABUSE IT and it can TAKE IT  Cheesy. Its a good back-up kite for me in my bag to Lam's kites in higher winds. Just looking for a good standard back-up possibly with the same flavor ... but you did remind how each of these kites from this maker is DIFFERENT. I recall that now from our 2009 conversation. Thanks again.

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04 AM »

Hi John,

I do remember.

As I said above I like it in 15mph, but it doesn't have much above that in the tricks department, maybe 18mph. It is not so much that it won't. It's more that the kite seems to get unhappy around 18mph or so. I'm always on the look out for something that does well in 20+.

I like the Transfer Xt.s VV for that sort of thing at the moment. It pulls quite a bit, but things slow down and it will trick.

The relationship between the Xt.z and the rest of the Transfer family is tenuous at best.

The Xt.s is going towards Team kite territory.

The Xt.r is the ballet kite.

Xt.z=out and out trick kite.

None of the other Transfers is really quite like the Xt.z, but the Xt.s is very comfortable on its back. It feels better balanced to me than the Xt.r.

It is not as fast and can feel a bit claustrophobic on anything less than 125' lines. It really wants to be out around 140+.

I own and fly all of the Transfers. I like each for what it is. But I don't find them all that similar to each other.

You are welcome to try mine out and make up your own mind. Let me know if you think we can meet up.

You got any tips for me on the XTs taz machine.  It's killing me.  Everything else on this kite is candy.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:11 AM »

Well, I don't know how helpful I've been, but you are welcome just the same.

Just keep in mind the Xt.s VV is a bear of a kite with Skyshark 8P framing. It is most definitely not a flicky little trick kite. It's rated at 8bft for the upper range.

Be aware that the Xt.s is very rare in the US. There were never very many here. I don't know how many there are floating around the rest of the World, but I suspect it's just plain rare everywhere.

There were more Xt.r sold over here, but even so; it's hard to find on the 2nd hand market.

I've been keeping an eye out for a back up Xt.r Std. Nothing's popped up recently. Whether that's because they are loved by owners or what, I don't know. Tough kites to find.

Also, FYI, Mat posted some mods for the Xt.z over on the Bilboquet forum, Years ago now, relocating the the lower bridle on the LE and a change to Nitro Strong for lower spreaders. There might be a different upper spreader length as well. Oh, and a change to looser wing tip tensioning with line instead of bungie as I recall.

I have the pertinent bits of the post in a French/Googlish mish mash file, but I can't quite decipher it enough to have any confidence in my ability to get the bridle right, so I've left it alone for now. It would be nice to try at some point.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:24 AM »

I feel your pain Obi.

You could do what I do which is to cheat by not letting the kite settle in the nose away position, so flying left to right, left hand input for the half axel - nose away - right hand input input to pull it around - another left hand input to get it around again and right to fly it out. Not much slack involved.

It's not a classic Taz, but if you are smooth it looks pretty good.

I've gotten some actual Taz's but it is not something I am able to throw off at will either. The Xt.z tends to squat in the nose away position.

Somehow I don't think Mat has this problem.

Oh, I thought you meant the Xt.z. I do pretty much the above with the Xt.s except for the UL which I can get an actual Taz with.

UL's are nice that way. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:29 AM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document