GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a RTG bridle for a standard Nirvana  (Read 1162 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: October 04, 2011, 03:18 PM »

Folks,

I downloaded dimensions from here:
http://reeddesign.co.uk/pdf/NirvanaBridles.pdf

so, I see what to do, but am not sure precisely how.  In particular, how to create the "adjustable" 2-6cm (light versus high) wind turbo section.

I like the default bridle just fine, but flew one in the past with the RTG and really liked it.

Thanks for any info.

-Tom

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:45 PM »

you can see one way to accomplish the task in this video if you pause it at about 54 seconds in. you can make a larkshead on the end of the lower outhaul and have a couple knots in your turbo leg for different positions which you can move that lower outhaul to from knot to knot.

R-Sky Nirvana Reverse Turbo Bridle

Fdeli
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:14 PM »

Start by tying the adjustment pigtails on the upper l/e - either larksheaded to the frame or use a slipknot. From the frame to the last knot on the pigtail will be 10.5cm with ( probably) 3 or 4 knots evenly spaced between 7 - 10.5 cm along the pigtail.

I would probably make the uphaul and inhaul from one length of bridle line.  Measure 15cm down from the end and make a mark with a tippex pen. Fold the end of the line down to this mark and make a knot in it to form a loop. This is looped around the spine. From the spine measure 64cm and make another mark allow an extra cm and then take the line up to the pigtail. Make a loose larkshead in the line around the middle pigtail knot and adjust the line length until the distance from the 64cm mark to the ULE is 50cm. When you get the length right, mark the middle of the loop, unloop it, measure a further 7.5cm along the line, cut the line and fold and knot the line to make another loop with the mark in the middle.

Take another length of line, probably about 70cm for the outhaul. Attach one end slightly above the 64cm mark ( thats why you gave an extra cm) with a sheet bend. Measure 2cm from the knot and tie a simple overhand knot, repeat this at 3-4-5 cm - this is your adjustable turbo. From the 5cm knot measure 52cm and make a mark. attach this end to the lower l/e with a slipknot - you may need to fiddle with this to get the length right. Measure all 3 lines and then double check. when you are happy, cut any excess length from the outhaul line leaving an extra 1/2 cm and then melt this with a cigarette lighter to seal it.  Finally you need to make 2 tow point legths - measures 2 30cm lengths of bridle line fold in half and knot with an overhand knot. The tow point is then larksheaded behind one of the knots on the turbo section and can be adjusted up or down.
I haven't made a bridle for the Nirvana, but I have tied them for many other kites and this method works well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:17 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36 PM »

Thanks!  That gives me lots to go on.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:43 AM »

Hi Tom,

After a nights sleep it was rather late when I wrote the last posting and having another look at Roys diagram I can see a problem with the way I suggested, namely that doing it that way will mean the length of the outhaul changes when you adjust the turbo, Im not sure if that is the idea.
There is another way of tying the bridle that will keep the outhaul at a constant length which is the way that HQ tie their bridles but because you have to make it fit it is a bit wasteful of bridle line. On the upside, you only need to know how to tie an overhand knot.

Make the pigtails as I said before. You are going to tie the inhaul, tow point, turbo and uphaul from one length of line. Start with a length of 2 meters or a little more fold it in two so that one leg is about 110cm and the other leg 90cm (these are approximate, air on the long side). At the fold tie an overhand knot. Measure about 12cm up from this knot and tie another this will be your 5cm turbo knot and then tie 3 further knots each 1cm apart and then measure 2cm and tie a further knot   .12cm--.1.1.1.2.

Now take the longest leg this will be your inhaul measure about 80cm (to allow for the line going around the frame) fold back about 8cm and tie an overhand knot to form a loop try this around the frame or a similar size spare piece of tube and make sure it measures 64cm from the frame to the top tow point knot you may have to make adjustments at the loop until its right.  Now take the other leg, loosely larkshead it to the middle knot of your pigtail and adjust that until it measures 49cm from the ULE frame to the top tow point knot. When you find the right length mark the middle of the larkshead, loosen it off and allow another 3cm for the knot check it afterwards and adjust if needed.

Next you need to tie your outhaul line. Take a length of bridle line, measure about 10cm and fold this back and tie a knot to form a loop. Tie this around the frame at the LLE.  Next, as you did with the uphaul, loosely larkshead the other end around the 5cm knot on the towpoint loop and adjust until it measures 52cm and make a loop and check the length as before. Double check all your measurements.  Then tie the other side the same. I usually tie the loops extra long to start with until I'm happy with the bridle then make them smaller and neater later.

Now you adjust the turbo length by moving the larkshead to the different knots you tied on the tow loop, this way the outhaul measurement stays the same and the only thing that alters is the tow loop length which doesnt really matter.

This all sounds much harder than it really is, once you start doing it, it becomes fairly obvious what you need to do.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18 PM »

I've modified the bridle on my Debray version to RTG specs just to try out the differences.  It's easy to put it back to original.  Not sure how the Debray bridle compares to the standard Nirvana, it's been awhile since I've looked at those diagrams.

-Mike
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:43 PM »

Folks,

Again, thanks for all the input.  I tied up the right side last night and dialed it into perfection with the specs - will do the other side this evening using that one as a template.

I particular, the tip to make it a bit long and then adjust the knot where you connect to the spar or spine makes getting it spot-on rather easy.

One thing that I noticed right away is that this bridle is not nearly as 'deep' as the default rt that the stock Nirvana comes with.

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:04 PM »

One thing that I noticed right away is that this bridle is not nearly as 'deep' as the default rt that the stock Nirvana comes with.

Just a thought, I had assumed from the diagram that the total uphaul length is 49cm - it could be that what is meant is that the length from the knot to the loop is 49cm Plus the 10.5cm on the pigtail?

What is the standard uphaul length from the knot to the spar? I would expect the new bridle to be a similar length.

tpatter

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:06 PM »

Just a thought, I had assumed from the diagram that the total uphaul length is 49cm - it could be that what is meant is that the length from the knot to the loop is 49cm Plus the 10.5cm on the pigtail?

What is the standard uphaul length from the knot to the spar? I would expect the new bridle to be a similar length.

This is true - the total length is 49+10.5.

Comparing the 2 bridles, it looks like (on paper) that the RTG would be about 2(uphaul)+7(inhaul)+7(turbo leg) = 16cm 'deeper' if I am reading it correctly.  Although the true difference in depth associated with a 16cm length delta is much less than 16cm due to the angles of the lines. 

The much longer inhaul and turbo leg seem to account for most of the difference.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change