GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 03:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sul ul std air time  (Read 1733 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 06, 2011, 11:23 PM »

In general, with wich kite you spend moust time? sul,ul,std ?
Boris
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:30 PM by vigli » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:43 PM »

UL, generally my favorites.

6 kite tom
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:09 AM »

On the rare opportunities I've managed to get to fly this year its been all SUL or Vented  Cry

I'd prefer ULs or light STDs like the Exile or DS

THE ONE

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14 AM »

I think it really depends on where you live and the winds in your area. In my area, lately, winds are in a range of 3-9mph so the kite gets picked accordingly. I personally like the wide wind range kites, because sometimes you will get "gusts" of stronger winds and I want the kite to be ready for it. In my opinion, I would say light STD or STD, but this is my preference.

Paul
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:08 AM »

I try to fly a standard that can fly in UL winds, like the Widow Maker, or Exile. With some work, the Sea Devil standard can be flown down to 3mph, as well.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26 AM »

I spend most of my time on a UL that can take Higher winds like the WM, Solus, and Moonie Mamba, but my favorite time to fly is with a Prodancer SUL in 1 to 1.5 mph winds.  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:35 AM »

I try to fly a standard that can fly in UL winds, like the Widow Maker, or Exile. With some work, the Sea Devil standard can be flown down to 3mph, as well.

Standards for me too even though our wind is seldom suitable, the Widowmaker and the Exile are two of my favorites for the above quoted reason, they go pretty low with a bit of work. We have a Mambe SUL, Trick Tail SUL, Breeze, Nik Nak and a couple self designed SUL's but I really prefer to fly the standards, so I usually sit out the complete luls or play with the 61/49 or Wala if the day is a total loss wind wise.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34 AM »

When  I started flying and learning tricks, I liked to fly a kite in wind where it would just barely fly well, so say 5 for many standards.  it made doing tricks (getting slack) easier.

Now, I want the kite to be more powered up when I fly it, so I would tend to like the kite best in the mid to upper range.  If I can't cut a sharp corner or hold the kite in a fade, then I usually want a lighter kite.   

I agree with others here that the best thing is to find a kite that can fly pretty low as well as pretty high.  That way, you can easily just head out with one kite for the day.  Personally, I have yet to find a 3pt LE framed kite that I have not liked.   Smiley

6 kite tom
glider

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:05 AM »

Mostly SUL. 

I'm always temped to switch to a Rev if the wind is up.

Dave
pdx

martijn

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22 AM »

mostly of the time i fly with std nse also powered up to say 25/30 km/h,
then i use long lines, more tail weight and 7pt spreaders

but i learned most on my nse ul...really smooth and haves actually a wide windrange.

my nse sul and vtd flies least, but are also really capable kites, ik like my set and the biggest advantage is, they all fly pretty much the same, so i don't have to change inputs that much.

i also fly revkites and i like my b-pro mid-vtd most, especially with race rods.

i fly competition in both classes
vigli

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 09:24 AM »

It is posible 3pt LE spar kite has less trickability then 5pt LE spar kite because 3pt kite has less inertia?
thanks
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 12:14 PM »

It is posible 3pt LE spar kite has less trickability then 5pt LE spar kite because 3pt kite has less inertia?
thanks

I have not noticed that - not in lighter winds, but I would imagine that it depends on the kite design.  3pt, to me, seems to have a enough mass to not be an issue.

Tom

6 kite tom
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55 PM »

I'm a strange beasty, i prefer winds below 2mph or more then 20mph Smiley
So Either XUL or Speedkites.
gray

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:42 PM »

Iím pretty much split 50/50 on my STD and UL. There is a wide wind range where I live so quite often both kites are set up.
Bob D

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 02:05 PM »

I'd LIKE to fly when the wind range is 7-10 mph but you never know what it going to be until you're actually at the field. I went yesterday and the forecast was 9 mph. I brought an Exile, Widow Maker, and Nirvana standards because that would be a nice range for these kites. Good thing I brought the Nirvana UL because if it was 6 mph, it was lucky. I spent the whole time flying the UL and wishing I had brought the SUL. But that's okay because the field was dry, the sun was out and I was able to fly at least 3/4 of the time.

Bob D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document