GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 07:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New kite choice  (Read 2530 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 12, 2011, 08:07 AM »

Hello all,
after the hypnotist and after entering the tricks world, i watched some videos of the Nirvana kites and noticed that the sail designs of the Nirvana kites, Premier Wolf, the Silver Fox 2.3 and the Acrobatx are quite the same and perform best with backflips and lays better in turtle position. am i wrong?
So i decided to buy a new kite to compensate on some tricks the Hypnotist is weak at.
Can't decide between the Premier Wolf, the Silver Fox 2.3 Std and the Flying Wings Acrobatx!
I check some videos to see how they perform but cannot have some great ones on the Wolf which was my favorite at first. The SF 2.3 get a bit over my budget but wanted to know differences anyway.
any help on those who tried all those kites. I am looking for something faster than the Hypnotist (not too fast also) but tricks well easily. Am still new to this. Or i just practice with the Hypno for the time being?
Thanks everyone for any cool input

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32 AM »

What about the Widow Maker? If you can't spring for the artisan kite, Premier has licensed their own version. Devin has a video out with him flying the Widow. As usual, he's awesome!
Premier Kites Widow

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32 AM »

I have either owned or flown all of these. I would try to save a bit more and get the Silver Fox, if you possible can. If not, the Wolf would be my choice over the Acrobatx. The Wolf has less oversteer, will fly in less wind and is more controllable than the Acrobatx. All three will sit better in a Turtle than the Hypnotist.

Here is a link to some thoughts on the Wolf
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5308.0
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:41 AM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
B-13

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:45 AM »

Thanks for the comments and help. Are we talking about the SF 2.3 STD here or the PRO one?
Even the STD is a bit too high for me right now. I will go for the Wolf i think. Is it more rapid than the Hypnotist?
I like the hypnotist for it's ability to flare ans fade, flic flacs are great on it too. Find it difficult for some backspins and yo-yo.

B

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56 AM »

Not sure where you are, but there is a Premier Widow and a HQ Jive 2 in the swap meet section that might suit your needs - mind you when you can afford one the Silver Fox would be a good choice.  ( I can tell you how to make the Jive2 really fly well!  Wink)

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Too bad i'm far away from the US Sad
Perhaps i'll wait and get a silver fox 2.3 STD
Will it be better than the Wolf? I think yes

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:18 AM »

Of those you mentioned, I really like the Silver Fox - a decent kite for not much of money.

If you go for the Acrobatx, get the UL - I liked that one, but not the standard at all. It will fly much lower than the Hypno.

Both of them have much better flight characteristics, tricking, and precise control compared to the Hypno (or at least the one I had).

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:37 AM »

I agree with the above rec's. I don't have a lot of time on the Silver Fox or Acrobatic, but own the Wolf, in fact I was first in line to buy the Wolf after flying the prototype and really enjoying it. Of the three you've chosen I think the Silver Fox the best all around kite but if your looking for something quicker then the Hypnotist and have the winds to fly the Hypnotist regularly then I think you'll enjoy the Wolf a lot. It's one of the kites I reach for when the wind goes over 8-10 mph, it will fly lower I just have other kites I choose for those sweet 3-7 mph conditions. The Wolf and I just have a blast when the wind comes up and the full size kites are catching more wind then I care to run with. It's an easy kite to kick the pressure out of the sail to do that flippy floppy stuff and tracks like it's on rails when you pressure it back up, maybe a bit of over-steer coming out of a full pull spin (one reason it's easy to kick the pressure off) but it'll draw a straight line and cut a square corner as good as anything in my bag given the right inputs.

The Premier Widow would be my first choice too, but I would not classify it as a fast or quick kite. It has a full bag of tricks built in that happen slow enough for a slow hand like me to see. But you don't seem to be inclined that direction.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:50 AM »

Thanks for the comments and help. Are we talking about the SF 2.3 STD here or the PRO one?
Even the STD is a bit too high for me right now. I will go for the Wolf i think. Is it more rapid than the Hypnotist?
I like the hypnotist for it's ability to flare ans fade, flic flacs are great on it too. Find it difficult for some backspins and yo-yo.

B

I was talking about the SF 2.3 Std not the pro, I haven't had a chance to try the SF Pro yet.

I've never flown the Hypnotist and the Wolf back to back but I wouldn't worry about the Wolf being too fast in reasonable wind. It will backspin and roll up well.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
B-13

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53 AM »

Everyone thanks for these tips.
And if i can get the SF 2.3? Is it more rapid than the hypnotist?
And does the UL version flies in really lighter winds than the STD version?

B

THE ONE

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:15 PM »

I agree with mikenchico

The Premier Widow would be my first choice too, but I would not classify it as a fast or quick kite. It has a full bag of tricks built in that happen slow enough for a slow hand like me to see.

Widow is just an amazing kite and it is still designed by the best. Trick capability are just amazing.

Paul
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17 PM »

+1 on the Widow, awesome kite.

B-13

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:13 PM »

That seems great as a deal and kite.
How is the zephyr compared to the SF 2.3 and the wolf?
Anyone tried it here?
B

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:13 PM »

The Zephyr is a very nice kite, made from Icarex (ripstop poly) and Prism quality.  You can't go wrong with it and depending on your winds, I would say a little nicer than the other two.  For the price, the Zephyr is a real bargain.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum