GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Beginner Questions-Holding lines-Quiver of kites for Winds  (Read 1302 times)
RB64
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 07, 2011, 06:52 PM »

I'm a beginner who has fallen in love with flying.  First flight was on the Oregon coast with reasonably consistent winds.  I'm home now in Northern Idaho, with winds that are not consistent and variable.  I've read many of the posts about buying different kites, but I'm still slightly confused, no make that confused.  First off, a practical question.  I have no one to fly with so in watching the DVD's I've noticed that people hold their lines differently, some just grab the ends of the nylon loops with their fingers, and some bring their hands up through the bottom of the nylon loops and then lay their hands on top of the lines.  Is there a correct way to hold your lines, or are their advantages and disadvantages to each? 

Next question:  One thing that has become obvious to me, one kite doesn't work unless you want to fly infrequently.  So, if you want to spend no more than about $135 on each kite and you are an aspiring beginner, what would be a good selection of kites to fit an area with winds from 1-20 mph.   Also, if money was not a consideration, what kites would fill the sprectrum of wanting to fly no matter what the wind presented, so you could fly more often, also.  Thanks in advance. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:44 AM by RB64 » Logged
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04 PM »

The Insymc will meet your needs quite well. Steve has them here for, what do you know, $135.00.
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=270
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »

As for holding the straps, the main thing is you want to be feeling the kite through your fingers rather than your fist. A lot of subtle communication goes on. Finger straps are popular, though I often just hold regular straps in my fingers. The most extreme sensitivity comes when you have one or more fingers actually touching the line.

For starters, hold the line however is comfortable. This is not something to worry about until you've been flying long enough to feel the difference.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:55 AM »

I always hold the straps with my fingers. I don't put my hands on the lines at all. I originally put my hands though the straps but changed how I held them shortly after I started learning tricks. I don't know if it is better but that's what I am used to now. It works well for me but there is no "correct" way.

As far as kites, when you ask "which kite" you're going to get peoples opinions of what they like. The problem is that not everyone likes or does the same things with their kites. Everyone's wind is different too. So you end up with seemingly conflicting answers. If you asked me, I would ask you this; What do you want to do with your kite? Pull a tail, trick, fly patterns (precision) or maybe do it all? Where are you at flying wise? Are you slamming the kite into the ground on a regular basis or are you mostly past that?  Do you do any tricks? I guess I would want to know where you are at now and where you want to go, flying wise.

I wouldn't go all in on a bunch of kites at first because I can guarantee if you end up really getting into flying, you will change what you want and like in a sport kite. For the wind ranges you mentioned, I would want at least two kites though.

The swap meet can be a good source for trying kites. If you buy a kite and don't like it, just put it back up for sale. The same applies for new kites too but they will loose more value.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40 PM »

...  Is there a correct way to hold your lines, or are their advantages and disadvantages to each? 

There's never any "right" way that will cover every person, try different styles until you find one that suits you. I recently changed how I hold my straps after years of another method. Find what feels natural to you, you shouldn't be thinking about how your holding your straps or concentrating on keeping a fingertip pressing against the line just because somebody says you need to do that for fine control or to feel wind changes. That may have come naturally to them after seeing Don Tabor doing it but it may seem as foreign to you as it does to me. Find the way for you that the straps just become a natural extension of your hands. Your hands, wrists and fingers are amazingly sensitive, adaptable and dexterous, they'll learn to sense and respond as needed easily if not being forced to do something unnatural. I've had all the nerves to one fingertip cut in an accident and although I actually can't feel in that fingertip I can because it's adapted to read signals from other locations to know whats going on.       

I used to put my hand through the loops like they were designed but I hooked my index finger through the D-ring up top for fine control so I was actually flying off only my index fingers. I had to hunt out straps with a large enough ring when the old 2" wide straps fell out of favor. After trying finger straps and liking that method I now hold even my regular straps that way. I insert my little finger and ring finger into the loop with the remaining strap laying over my index and middle fingers and grip it between my thumb & index finger. I haven't felt I've lost any fine control or sense in the transition. Hard pulling kites though get my little finger sore with the pressure pulling sideways on the joint. Can you believe I never experienced any pain even flying 8 foot Flexifoils off just my index fingers? I wouldn't take kindly to somebody grabbing me by a finger and dragging me across a field but I welcomed letting my kites do it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36 PM »

The Prism Duo's sold here
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=79

are great all around straps how ever you use them. Try them out with different grips.
CV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum