GWTW Forum
July 03, 2015, 03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New user looking for a new kite (or two?) for more power and some tricks...  (Read 749 times)
Pikman
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 20, 2015, 03:17 AM »

Hello all,

I'm new here - hoping I picked the best kite forum, there were a ton to choose from!

I have a couple of (now pretty old school) kites.
A Club Spectre, which I adore. You can see it on p8 (p9 if you use the scroller) of the pdf here http://www.whkf.org.uk/Scrapbook/MK93.pdf. It's fast and pulls really well in high winds, I just have a blast flying it. Never tried to trick it, just enjoy the noise and the power Smiley

I also have a Flexifoil Scorpion. Oddly enough this is in the same link on page 5. It's fun but I always end up flying the Spectre as soon as the winds are sufficient.

Now, I'm after either a kite that can do two things or two kites, not sure yet.

I'd like to nab a kite (still a delta if possible) that pulls even more than the Spectre. Not really looking to move to a foil type kite although I keep toying with the idea as I could get into 4 line flying. Is there anything around that might fit the bill? I saw the HQ Fazers, although they are a bit pricey. The XXL looks like it might be an utter blast...
Also the Prism 5 Nexus stack looks like it could generate a fair bit of pull.
For the really high winds the HQ Delta Hawk looks cheap and might fit the bill perfectly.

I would also like to get into tricking. The Scorpion I have might be enough to get going with, I'm not sure. I think I need to mess with the bridle a bit and see if I can get it to be more responsive. At the moment it sort of over steers and feels a bit loose in the wind.
The Prism Quantum looks as though it could be a nice entry trick kite...

Just to add - the wind is entirely variable here so maybe I just need a better low wind kite and stick to the Spectre for high winds.

Answering my own question a bit - it seems like I need a ton of kites Cheesy

Thanks in advance Smiley

Jon
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:09 AM by Pikman » Logged

I have a couple of (now pretty old school) kites:
Highflyer's Club Spectre (p8 on the link below)
Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
http://www.whkf.org.uk/Scrapbook/MK93.pdf
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:33 AM »

If you've flown before, and need a good entry level trick kite I would consider the Premier Widow NG far more than the Quantum. You've gotten past the new flight stages as you own kites before. You'll find the Widow NG to be car more capable, with many more (if not all) tricks in its arsenal. Something to consider!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:10 AM »

Hi Pikman, welcome to the forum.

Question is what sort of wind range are you going to be flying in?

I have a Delta Hawk and it's a great little kite - it will fly from about 10mph But it doesn't get really interesting until winds hit around 18mph - from there right up to 40mph it will try and rip your arms off! don't underestimate it just because it's small. Also it isn't really a trick kite, it's made more for loops and ground passes but a lot of fun in stronger winds.

If you want something with a good pull, that will also do some tricks but will fly from around 6-20 ish mph I'd go for the Prism Quantum - a good strong kite and well made.  You can get one through a UK dealer for 90 with a good set of lines.

( in case you think you can get a better deal from the States where they are cheaper, remember you will get stung by import duties into the UK which will mean it ends up about the same price).

Another possible choice might be the HQ Maestro 2 - I have one and it's a great trick kite and still has a good amount of pull at around the same price as the Quantum also with lines included.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pikman

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:36 AM »

Thanks both of you Smiley

Might be the way to go - one for tricks and then something else for power once the winds are high. Would be awesome to get more of the Spectres and stack them (assuming you can stack any kite), they are so hard to find now though.

Know anything about the Scorpion I have? Wondering if that might be worth getting some practice with first as it looks like it should be trickable - I've never really tried much. I can get it floating sidewards but never had it belly up/down or anything like these guys are doing.
I found this http://www.kites.tug.com/kites/Revfaq/Scorpion.txt (I forget how to embed a url...) about it, perhaps I need to get out and experiment!

Reading up about the Widow NG, does look handy! Can only seem to get them on ebay from over here but that's OK, although a little risky. Shame there seem to be no shops that stock Premier.
EDIT: I found one and they're going to let me know a price, we'll see...

I'm wondering if stacking a kite (or 3) might give me the power gains I think I want in a kite...
I really want a Delta Hawk now, although they only seem to come in 'rainbow'. Would stacking them be stupid? Smiley
I'll check out the HQ too, thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:58 AM by Pikman » Logged

Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:41 PM »

Thanks both of you Smiley

I really want a Delta Hawk now, although they only seem to come in 'rainbow'. Would stacking them be stupid? Smiley

You can certainly stack them, I have a 2 stack which is good in the 15-20mph range. I wouldn't fly it in much more than that as a stack as I've grown quite attached to my arms!

If you want to be really silly in even lower winds you can have a 6 stack which makes you look like this!

nur ein 6er gespann Delta Hawk bei max 3BFT

I use my Delta Hawks with padded straps and 220lb lines!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:44 PM by Hadge » Logged

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pikman

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:02 PM »

Ha, I want this Cheesy

I think I've come to a solution for now.

The HQ or Prism for some tricks and I'm going to try my hand at making another Spectre or two and see if I can stack them on my one... I am a computational fluid dynamics engineer so really I ought to be able to design and test one at home before even building it!

Failing that or if the materials are just too expensive I'll go for the Delta Hawk (I found a design for it online also though, tempting!).

Thanks guys.

Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:24 PM »

HQ also make a ready made 3 stack of their Limbo kite for around 80.  The Limbo is very similar in size and layout to the Delta Hawk though not rated for as high wind as a solo kite but I imagine a 3 stack would still be a pretty good workout.

HQ-Invento Limbo als 3er-Gespann bei 4-5 bft

Pikman

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:15 PM »

I saw that too. Caught my eye along with the Nexus 5 stack, definitely possible and both would look great! Smiley

Excited to try a stack either way, this is going to be fun!

Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum