GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sports Reactors?  (Read 1361 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: October 10, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Anyone have an info sheet on them and the differences between them all?Huh   Looks like Mike E doesn't have anything up at the moment.....
Allen???

Thanks!
rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:28 PM »

I don't have a sheet but I can write a lot of specs from memory. I've owned all the variations, I think.

You have some coming up for sale?

Here goes:

Reactor Pro
8'+ wingspan
Skyshark 5P frame
Nylon or Poly sail

Reactor Lite
8'+ wingspan
Skyshark 3P frame
Poly sail with light reinforcements.

Nuclear Reactor
8'+ wingspan
7P frame
Variable Vented poly or nylon sail with removable panels.

Reactor Plus
9'+ wingspan
5P frame
Poly sail

Reactor Microlite
A bit under 8'+ wingspan
5.5 Gram Response Zero Gold sticks
Very light poly sail. Single standoffs. Very light fittings

More info later

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22 AM »

OK, now that I'm at a real computer I can provide a bit more info and some photos.

Spectra Sport had a successful Team kite in the Edge series in the early '90s. The Reactors evolved from the Edge line, but were quite a bit different. Team Tsunami won the World Cup with Reactors in '94.

As designed, Reactors are not well suited to slack line tricks or ground work. Team flying didn't yet incorporate tricks back then. The kites actually flick flack, fade, axel and 540 fairly well stock, but there are lots of line snagging problems due to the unusual variable standoffs (See the link to photos). The standoffs make for a stable and steady team kite, but are a pain for freestyle flying.

I refit my Reactors with conventional solid standoffs and while the kite loses a bit on flight characteristics crucial to team flying (speed control and stability in bumpy air) it is still a very sweet flying ballet kite. Very responsive for a big kite. Very precise. A lot of tricks are there if you like. I tend to take them for granted, but then I started flying Reactors in 1999. Other people who try my kites are a bit stymied. Not easy kites to trick by modern standards. They pitch easily forward and backward. Flick Flacks are cake. Fades are a little tricky to hold in bumpy wind, but that could be said for a lot of kites. Flat Axels and 540s are there. The kite rolls up fairly easily but doesn't like to fly or unroll, so I don't bother. Pretty hard to backspin. I've only ever gotten two rotations. It does roll out well enough for Jacobs Ladders and such. On its back it likes to exit Lazys somewhat sideways. If you try to pull up and out of a turtle with the nose away you will have a tough time.

Side slides are excellent as are stalls in general. Landings, especially spikes, are old skool easy. On the ground the winglets make tipwraps a chore. I've added a trick line from the tail to the standoffs to keep line and bridle wraps on the long keel to a minimum.

It's really a flyers kite. Super wide window, excellent wind range, stunning tight downward turns down on the deck. Snappy turns and easy to control arcs. I can see why one team seriously considered these over modern kites. They just fly great.

All the above pertains to the Pro version. Lighter and heavier versions are very similar but vary in trick capability.

The Pro, Lite and Nuke are the same size. Around 100" span

The Plus is BIG. Over 9' span, maybe close to 10. It was the traditional big UL team kite, like the TOTL Windrule.

The Microlite is a zero wind kite. Pretty rare. Darren Skinner told me about flying indoor team inside a stadium with 'em.

The stock Center T, LE and standoff fittings were starting to crumble on kites I bought new in '99. Thats after only 5 years in storage. I imagine any kites on the market today which were never upgraded to APAs will be coming apart.

A large number of new Reactors were sold at extreme bargain prices in '98/'99. No doubt many were purchased for the value of the Skyshark sticks.

I've had Pros in both Nylon and Poly. I like the nylon better, though it is a bit heavier. This may be due to the fact that I have the most hours on one particular nylon Pro and I'm just used to it. I'm currently flying a pretty Lite sail with the Pro's frame and fittings. It's lighter, and in some ways better, but not quite right. I may go back to my more mundane red Pro sail.

Reactor Lite

Reactor Plus

More Reactor photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113978608061732881578/Reactors#
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:24 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29 PM »

I've always adored these kites.

Old School just doesn't get any better than the Reactors.

Thanks for the pics Allen.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:11 AM »

I've always adored these kites.

Old School just doesn't get any better than the Reactors.

Thanks for the pics Allen.

Thank YOU for passing on your set of Reactors to me!

The blue one that is currently my main kite was your favorite IIRC.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12 PM »

More Spectra Sports Reactor pictures => here.  Wink
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:07 PM »

More Spectra Sports Reactor pictures => here.  Wink

Love that collection! I'm happy to have added to it a few times over the years.

There are a couple of Reactors in colors I've never seen anywhere else.

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47 PM »

I thought that might be it. Wink

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:49 PM »

I thought that might be it. Wink

I have a very rare Falmouth here that was a present from rod247. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document