GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P2 Build Thread  (Read 14351 times)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:14 PM »

Looking forward to see your progress on the P2's!
Can't wait!

Grin
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33 AM »

Now that my Vortex is complete, and the wind is non-existent....
I will be building a P2 for my wife, uhhhh, for Cristmas, yeah that's the excuse I'll use. Wink

Actually, she is on board with the idea. She asked if I would do a "Breast Cancer Awareness" color scheme on it. So, it will be white, pink and lavender.

On your premium build, you said you will be using SkyShark tubes. Have you decided which set yet? As this kite is designed to be a higher wind kite, I'm considering using Nitro tubes. P300 might be a good alternative as well. Any thoughts on this?
Kareloh

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 10:23 AM »

Cool! Another P2 project. Did you do the layout in the colorizer? Care to share?

Due to the compact frame geometry, 5pt LS and higher spec pultruded 6mm carbon for the rest works like a charm in the P2. There's no deformation what so ever in my kite. P300 has been done in Germany by a builder, seems to be okay as well. I'm just not very fond of using p-rods as LS.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:26 AM by Kareloh » Logged
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:00 AM »

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but.....

Remember, she asked for a "Breast Cancer Awareness" themed kite.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56 AM »

I think thats a fine color scheme. 

For my sky shark frame, I'll be using p200 in the leading edges, 5mm upper spreader, 5pt lower spreader (probably black diamond, but haven't decided), and a Prospar spine (which is a carbon/fiberglass tube... limited availability). 
Kareloh

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 02:16 AM »

Yup, nice!
HiFly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 04:41 AM »

maybe you can replace the "arrow" with the pink ribbon

Mike
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57 AM »

And the hijacking begins.

Mike,
That is an excellent idea. Complete the sail in white, then build an applique to put over it.
Either that or figure out how to create my own panels. Hmmm, now I have a new challenge.
Anyone care to give advice or direction. Better yet, let's do this on a new thread so as to not hijack this one.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:22 AM by AKA_MrBill » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 07:17 AM »

maybe you can replace the "arrow" with the pink ribbon

WOW! nice idea
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 01:35 PM »

Yep - reprint your plans and tape them up to combine up unneeded panels into a simpler arrangement, after getting your two halves sewn together just do a reverse appliqué, or stained glass appliqué if you prefer a black outline on the ribbon which would really make it pop and help define the over/under cross. You could go all white with just two panels or keep some of the trailing edge & wingtip details or design your own details.

One thing though to take into consideration on a Sport Kite is the deformation of your image because of the "V". You need to make the ribbon a bit wider then you see on a 2D surface or it'll appear too narrow on the 3D keel. Have access to a projector? even a slide projector would work since the ribbon is simple enough to scratch off an old slide and draw a ribbon, then put some paper over a kite skin, project it and trace it onto the paper. A simple light outline is all you need for the perspective and clean it up on your table.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 05:01 PM »

Anyone still reading?  Thought I was lost and gone forever?  Oh no.  Getting back on track.

The delay in posts has been for a few reasons.  One, life is happening such that I've not had much time to work on kites (this tends to happen to me, which is one reason why I don't build kites for order).  Second, I've been debating some construction techniques between the two P2 kites I'm building for this thread.  Keeping in mind that the yellow and orange kite is meant to be a kite that a first time builder could tackle, I've made some choices with that in mind.  The most obvious at the moment is the trailing edge binding.

On the yellow kite, I've chosen to simply fold a 1" ripstop tape in half length wise and stitched it on using a small zig-zag stitch.  In addition to this, the spine in the yellow and orange kite will be secured with a velcro strap in the same style as I've always done... same as the B'zar build.

For the white, blue and grey version, I'll be using a double folded trailing edge binding.  The result will be a 1/4 inch trailing edge with no bare edge exposed.  For this build, I've hand folded the binding to be sewn on.  This is not very complicated, but takes time and has to be done precisely. (I have acquired a binding adapter for my sewing machine that will accomplish this without pre-folding the tape, but I am still working on perfecting this so will not use it on this build). To secure the spine, I'll be trying a new system that utilizes no velcro... the spine will be bowed into placed and held there by pockets in the nose and tail (seen on Sky Sport Design kites).  Because I've chose this method for the spine, I'm also going to be using a different spine weight system for this kite.  Further more, I don't have any kites that use this style so I'll be doing my best to develop my own method.

so, no pictures for this post, but I wanted to let everyone know I'm still here. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:36 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 10:06 PM »

I figured you had gone walkabout, but you'd be back soon enough. And now, here you are!

I've been working on a P2 as well. It is for my wife and is a Christmas present, though she knows all about it. She chose the colors and one major change to the sail panel layout. Let's just say, the Breast Cancer Ribbon idea was dropped in favor of another well known symbol. Once finished, I'll reveal it, but for now you must rely on your intuition and imagination.  Kiss
Lex B

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 01:24 PM »

:)Welcome back !

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
coogee

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 09:37 PM »

Sugarbaker
The idea for the spine sounds interesting. Have not seen any of the sky sport design kites here in Australia, so the idea of no velcro sounds cool. How about a quick preview before you do a "Scarlet  Pimpernel" again.
           Mike
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47 AM »

I haven't built any duals yet but may look to try in the new year. This thread has been an interesting read and resource for future.
The question I have is, would using a pocket at the spine have dire results during a nose plant? would there be any issues tensioning the sail? I would think the velcro would not require as much percision on placement.

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document