GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 08:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P2 Build Thread  (Read 15567 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 05:18 PM »

The trailing edge is also different on this kite.  On the orange and yellow version of the P2, I used a 1 inch strip of nylon ripstop folded in half.  This way works fine, looks fine and is utilized on many production and boutique kites.  To go the extra mile, for this build, I've used the same material, but it is folded in half, and then the bare edges are folded in toward the center.  This will hide the cut edge of the fabric and make the trailing edge only 1/4 of an inch.  This can be done a few ways.  In the future, I will likely use a binding attachment for my sewing machine that takes the unfolded strip and while sewing, does all of the folding for you.  For this particular build, I did the folding by hand prior to sewing.

Because the strip will be so small, I end up taping the trailing edge in place with 1/8 double sided adhesive prior to sewing.  It's critical to get the edges lined up prior to sewing so the stitching is even on the front and back of the kite. 

front and back prior to sewing

sew the trailing edge on with a straight stitch (if you use a zig-zag like I've shown in the past, you risk not having enough room to thread the leech line).

after sewing the trailing edge, use a one inch width length of dacron to sew over the standoff and roll bar attachment points.  I taper the dacron to be a smooth transition into the trailing edge.  I hold the dacron in place with tape and file clips... seen here prior to sewing.

coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Hi Sugarbaker,
                    does this make it difficult to install a leech line or no leech line for this kite?
  Mike
sugarbaker

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 01:18 AM »

I did place a leech line... it was harder to thread than when I don't double fold the trailing edge.  Part of this difficulty is that I used a thicker dacron line as the leech line.  In the future, if I choose to make the smaller trailing edge in this way, I'll likely use heavy flying line as the leech line.  I used a small tapestry needle to thread the trailing edge. 
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 03:00 PM »

I did place a leech line... it was harder to thread than when I don't double fold the trailing edge.  Part of this difficulty is that I used a thicker dacron line as the leech line.  In the future, if I choose to make the smaller trailing edge in this way, I'll likely use heavy flying line as the leech line.  I used a small tapestry needle to thread the trailing edge. 

You could lay the leech line in the groove of the trailing edge tape and then sew the tape on.  I do this with all my kites - probably done a couple of hundred this way - never had a problem.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
sugarbaker

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56 AM »

so, with the trailing edge sewn on and a leech line threaded through it (I like the suggestion of placing the leech line prior to sewing, but alas, with this build I suffered with threading it with a tapestry needle) we are here.  I sew my leech line into the wing tips.  Note in this picture that I have left approx 2 inches of trailing edge hanging off the end.  This will be folded back and sewn into the leading edge to form the loop for the LE tension.

The leading edge is prepped and taped in place exactly like the first P2 build in this thread, so I won't waste time showing all the steps here (it's also documented in the B'zar 2011 build thread).  This picture shows the folded back leading edge tensioning loop as discussed previously.

and here is the leading edge/wing tip with the loop sewn in place.  I used a straight stitch to secure the loop, then switched to a 3 step zig zag to secure the rest of the leading edge. 

sugarbaker

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 01:03 AM »

Now, during the sewing of the leading edge, I committed a sewing crime.  I used a dull needle... the mylar covered leading edge material I used makes short life of the needles used for the project.  The needle broke mid seam.  The only way to get the needle out was to cut the thread.  Here is the needle and broken tip:

I'd like to point out that due to the curve in the leading edge of this kite, the material wrinkles some when you tape i in place (this is near the nose where it curves the most).  Here is the point on the leading edge where I had to cut the thread.  To save it, I tied off the seam using a surgeons knot (at the back of the sail). 

I then replaced the needle, set the stitch so the needle was at the far left of it's cycle and started sewing a few cycles prior to the end of the seem so that the stitch overlaps. I don't know if you can tell in this picture, but this is the repaired portion of the seam. Shown front and then back of the sail.

sugarbaker

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14 AM »

here is the dacron re-enforced center-T patch sewn in place.  This is the same as the first p2 build. The key to good stitching here is practice and patience.  I cut out the hole before I sew the stitch around the hole... this way I can use the edge of the hole as a guide.  I did 2 stitches at a time, then rotate slightly and proceed with the next 2 stitches and so on.

bouncing around a bit as we reach the end of the build... The frame in this build requires a 2 piece leading edge.  I document the building of such a frame in more detail in the B'zar build thread.  Here is a picture of the leading edge ferrule prepared for gluing.  I use some masking tape and tape the portion of the ferrule that will not be glued.  this way, if any super glue leaks out of the spar when the ferrule is placed, I can remove the tape and have a clean edge.

cut the spine where you think it should be (with a vinyl end cap in place).  Having it slightly too long will result in too much tension on the sail.  You may need to take it out and trim it a hair.  I was lucky and got it the right length on my first cut.  (it's always better to have a spar that is too long... you can always take a tiny bit more of the length off, but you can't add length as easily).

The last picture shows that I measure and cut the spine by placing it in the nose pocket and comparing to the sail itself.  I draw a line on the spar and cut it to length. 

Anyway, this is all the pictures I have of the build process.  I'll post a video that shows an overview of the two kites, some close up details, and an explanation of how to put the spine in the second version of the P2.  Stay tuned.
ozzymat
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10 AM »

Hi Sugarbaker

Well done on your build thread, Ive just finished a P2 using your Bzar and P2 build threads as guides and found them very useful.

A Photo of the P2 is posted in the P2 open source project thread.
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6184.msg62071#msg62071

Instead of using a washer as a template to cut out the LE holes for the connectors I made a simple template out of 2mm Aluminum but I guess any non flammable material could be used, it has the advantage of keeping fingers away from the soldering iron and the hole can be slightly elongated (if desired). The two smaller holes on the top of the template serve no purpose.

Mat

Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55 AM »

Anyway, this is all the pictures I have of the build process.  I'll post a video that shows an overview of the two kites, some close up details, and an explanation of how to put the spine in the second version of the P2.  Stay tuned.

Thanks a bunch! Very curious about the finished kite!
sugarbaker

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 12:36 AM »

So here's the video that discusses some features of the spine in this kite and demonstrates how to put the spine into the velcro-less version of the sail.  Please forgive the length of the video and the rambling at the end... I was fumbling with the knot in the leech line, but I get it tied eventually. 

P2 Spine discussion.MOV

sugarbaker

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53 AM »

Here it is.  Completed P2 in PC31 and skyshark frame. 

Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 07:12 AM »

I've decided to move the content of the P2 website to my wordpress page. This way it's easier to maintain (even mobile).
The old link still works, but here's the new link:
http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=538
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28 AM »

That is some fine kite pr0n right there. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change