GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectre XUL again :)  (Read 1608 times)
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 12, 2011, 10:41 AM »

Hiyas,

got to sit down and build another Spectre,

changed from the previous is the position of the standoffs, a little more outward and a little more down. Creating a slightly wider keel and a not so deeply cutout trailing edge.
Other changes are longer bridle for better load distribution and I went back to the shape of the 2nd with slightly bigger winglets.

Wingspan: 2.50m
Height: 0.96m
Weight: 66.4grams

Enjoy and feel free to ask your questions.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13 PM »

Looks good.  Been wanting to check out that cubenfibre but no one here in the states sells it atm.
ae

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22 PM »

You should be able to order it directly from cubictech, but 9m minimal order and its expensive.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:20 PM »

That thing is so cool.
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:45 AM »

Weight: 66.4grams
I remember JB flying a Sea Devil with nearly that much weight as ballast a few years ago.

uhmmmm i think you meant 66,4 tailweight.....

i assume spectre xul weighs 66,4 in total....and that is pretty light...
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48 AM »

is there a build plan available or is there a oppurtunity to mail me about that?

can you give me some more specs, like spars etc.?

flying characteristics/trick potential?

thnx in advance
ae

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:40 AM »

And it does indeed flies Smiley

Spectre XUL 10

Way to much wind plus very choppy wind as well.

But as stress test for the upper limit of the wind range it was good Smiley
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Looks good.  Been wanting to check out that cubenfibre but no one here in the states sells it atm.

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I figured it was as good a place as any to post, because it'll keep everything together. Anthony, I'd been meaning to check out the cubenfibre stuff for awhile now and just got around to doing so. I found the stuff at ZPacks (you can figure out the website address) and it's located in Florida. It IS very expensive, but maybe worth it for a one-off project like this Spectre. Amazing little birdie!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Nancy: message Don Tuff on here...he found a source that was seeming to be more affordable.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Anthony, I'd been meaning to check out the cubenfibre stuff for awhile now and just got around to doing so. I found the stuff at ZPacks (you can figure out the website address) and it's located in Florida. It IS very expensive, but maybe worth it for a one-off project like this Spectre. Amazing little birdie!

Nancy

No one in the US ?!?!  Huh

I believe Quest Outfitters was the other one... certainly the one I most associate with Cuben Fiber in the States.. Pricing from 54" bolts was
.33 oz $27.15/yd
.48 oz $28.50 yd* (Sale)
.74 oz $32.69 yd

*The .48 has currently been discounted due to some cosmetic imperfections in the fabric.  Every 13", vertically in the fabric there are some dark 1/2" wide streaks between the laminations.  Cosmetic only. 

Expensive.... maybe a little, but can you really put a price on pixie dust?  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document