GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLK TYPE THAT WOULD WORK  (Read 2556 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 07:56 AM »

The wax will wear in pretty quickly..also if you fly on a beach at all the sun wil warm the wax up a bit and then sand will get embedded...
The braided dacron has a more durable sheath on is...

Winders: you can use yoyo winders, reels, flat winders, bags,
some thoughts
here is a german page on making a line bag and how to use it...http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://kite-and-friends.de/einleiner/drachenwerkstatt-wie-am-schnurchen/

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:28 PM »

No waxed lines, I was thinking of cutting lines from a 500' roll to get 2 sets and fly 2 kites with it, maybe 2 500' rolls instead. I thought there was some FAA rules on how high you can fly kites. Does this buy buy buy ever end with kites?
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 03:29 PM »

Ok guys, don't mind me, I might have 1000 questions. if I buy 500' of line braided dacron, should I not cut it and just use what line I want and when I'm done just roll it back on the spool, if it is waxed braided line wouldn't there be less friction? After all I wax my car and the finish is slippery.

The wax would have more to do with keeping tow point knots in place. I've been using some that Steve has and really like it a lot for the price. The waxing is very slight and I've never noticed it melting and for sure have never had stuff stick to it. Here's a link for his 160lb Braided Dacron:

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=372

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30 PM »

Does this buy buy buy ever end with kites?

no

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
tcope

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35 PM »

No waxed lines, I was thinking of cutting lines from a 500' roll to get 2 sets and fly 2 kites with it, maybe 2 500' rolls instead. I thought there was some FAA rules on how high you can fly kites. Does this buy buy buy ever end with kites?

The FAA regs are that something tethered cannot be more then 300'... lower if close to an airport. Keep in mind that kites fly at an angle. So, depending on the kite, 250' line might only put it 150' high.

I think cutting the line in 1/2 for two 250' sets would be good to fly two kites.

Typically people don't fly kites on lines longer then 300' so 250' would be just fine.

Does the buy, buy, buy end? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mikeb

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Ok guys, don't mind me, I might have 1000 questions. if I buy 500' of line braided dacron, should I not cut it and just use what line I want and when I'm done just roll it back on the spool, if it is waxed braided line wouldn't there be less friction? After all I wax my car and the finish is slippery.

The wax would have more to do with keeping tow point knots in place. I've been using some that Steve has and really like it a lot for the price. The waxing is very slight and I've never noticed it melting and for sure have never had stuff stick to it. Here's a link for his 160lb Braided Dacron:

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=372

That looks like a real nice price!
mikeb

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 03:54 PM »

The FAA regs are that something tethered cannot be more then 300'... lower if close to an airport. Keep in mind that kites fly at an angle. So, depending on the kite, 250' line might only put it 150' high.

I think cutting the line in 1/2 for two 250' sets would be good to fly two kites.

Typically people don't fly kites on lines longer then 300' so 250' would be just fine.

Does the buy, buy, buy end? I'll have to get back to you on that.

I seem to see 500' and 1000' rolls mostly. the first would give me 2 250' lines the second would give me 3 333' lines. But I guess I don't have to let all the line out each time, or do I?
madhabitz

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »

That looks like a real nice price!

Yeah, it's a good price. Most important (to me) is that the line remains usable for a reasonable length of time and this stuff does. There is better line out there and you *can* tell the difference, but it's very expensive. This line isn't cheap, but the line is braided and you won't end up spending all of your kite-flying time fighting it winding up on itself.

Nancy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document