GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rods brand and dimensions  (Read 1887 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 12, 2011, 10:51 PM »

Hi, i was recently reading some post about frames, rods and tubes and have seen several names, brands, number, .234, 2pt , etc.

Does anyone have a chart with the brand and diameter for each of them? This could help those who want to buy new rods and fittings.
Also APA and fittings does have some numbering i cannot understand. Is this in mm, inch, etc.

Thanks anyone for clarifying this.

Good day to all of you and happy flying

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:18 AM »

Here you go!

Rods:

And:
http://www.vipersportkites.com/spar_charts/spar_charts_005.htm

And some other, older links:
http://www.nic.fi/~sos/spars/spars98.htm
http://users.techline.com/lord/techdata.html
http://www.nic.fi/~sos/spars/spars98.htm

APA's:

Click image for details.

Modified links to other retailers to point to Gone with the Wind / Chico Kites who stocks and sells APA connectors plus a wide range of other parts and rods - mikenchico
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:38 AM by mikenchico » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:29 AM »

Or all in one place

http://www.sysmatrix.net/~mikenchico/Spar_Deflection.xls

I'm currently working on putting on the Euro Excel spars, still need spec's on some of the other Euro spars.

If you don't have Microsoft Excel they have a free viewer here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
B-13

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54 AM »

This is indeed a great source.
I have the hypnotist and will soon order the zephyr. I was looking for specs of the spars they have for future parts purchase, fittings, nocks ends, etc

One thing i am confused here is for example, the hypnotist LS use the Dynamic T18 and it has two dimensions Large and Small. Is it large on the rod and small where the rod become smaller in diameter at the end?
I guess they are all in inches

B

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22 AM »

many rods are tapered like the T18 on your hypnotist, but also the sky shark 2PT through 7PT and nitro (there are other tapered rods, but these are probably the most common). (if there are no units associated and a decimal included in the value, it is probably in inches i.e .240 is a common inner dimension for many non-tapered sky shark rods).

many of the resources I've seen that label dimensions will indicate the inner and outer diameter of both the small and large end of the rod (at it's original length... remember if you cut the ends you will also have a different diameter on the remaining spars).

Also remember that if you need a part, our fearless host will know what to send you (and have it in stock) for prism kites. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:39 AM by sugarbaker » Logged
B-13

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03 PM »

Sugarbaker,
during some research on new parts and where our Host Steve helped me a lot, i decided to build up a little DB for the kites and the dimensions. Like a specs sheet but not only with sail materials specs and just spars name but with complete description of the parts, dimensions, length and diameter associated.
This is to facilitate parts ordering for those needing new ones and some relief for Steve Wink

I will start with the Zephyr and Hypnotist as these are the two kites i have for now until the others arrives.

Before i post anything, would like to know how you feel about this idea and how it can be done to simplify things for everyone

Example
Zephyr Parts List                                Description                   Length   Diameter

Upper Spreader                                Pultruded carbon tube              5mm/0.197"
Lower Spreader Male                        SkyShark 3PT      
Lower Spreader Female                      SkyShark 3PT      
Spine                                                SkyShark P100      
Leading edge                                SkyShark P100                      7.1mm/0.280"
Standoffs                                        Carbon rod                              2.5mm/0.098"
APA         
Nocks         

B-13

sugarbaker

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28 PM »

I think your idea is fine, although I worry that you are going to be repeating the information more than necessary.  Having a chart of part dimensions, and a separate database that has the parts mentioned for each kite may be easier for you so you don't have to repeat the dimensions.  For example, I have no less than 10 different kites that use Skyshark 5pt lower spreaders. 

In my case, I tend to know what is in most of my kites, and then reference the materials already presented in a previous post.  Also, if I am not sure of something, I have this forum available to me (and in most cases get an answer within an hour or so if I question what part to use).

B-13

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:42 PM »

Yes. Having the same info repeated every time it not convenient but describing each kite than describing each parts is easier is think. New flyers and those who don't know much about the terms/brand/dimensions just need to look for the kite and grad the exact part for it.
Just my opinion on this as i found it really hard before talking to Steve and some of you here for the parts. Finding the exact APA fittings, the nocks for a specific kite, the LE needed, etc..with a database and chart, just look for the model and order exact one directly.

Can you help here sugarbaker in setting the chart with me?
BTW is the spars of the old and new zephyr the same?

sugarbaker

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:24 PM »

I appreciate the effort you are going to with this project, but I will respectfully decline your request to help out.  My time is limited now as it is to build the kites I enjoy.  Taking the time to reproduce the info (while I see you're argument that it will be helpful to others) doesn't make sense for me.  Perhaps others in the forum would be willing.  Best of luck to you. 
B-13

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:29 AM »

Smiley Thanks a lot sugarbaker. And i appreciate your frankness

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:35 AM »

The more modern spars aren't on the almost 10 year old graph below.

However, you can see that the "knee" of the graph shows the
Skyshark 3PT, 2PT
and the
Avia GF Skinny SUL
gave the best stiffness/weight ratio.

And those are still excellent spars.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:37 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34 AM »

And there's always this.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
B-13

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09 AM »

Now i see how many of you knows about the spars and their specs.
Can someone please help for below

Prism Hypnotist spars description
Upper Spreader - ??
Lower Spreader male - Dynamic T18
Lower Spreader female - Dynamic T18
Leading edge - ??
Spine - ??

Prism Zephyr (old) spars description
Upper Spreader - 5mm pultruded carbon
Lower Spreader male - Skyshark 3pt
Lower Spreader female - Skyshark 3pt
Leading edge - ??
Spine - ??

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:58 AM by btreize » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50 AM »

If you are serious this really needs to be put online in some sort of a WIKI so people can add information to it without having to rely on one member continually being in contact and having to update it on a constant basis.

Mike ( Kiteking ) has an extensive database like you are looking at building, especially on the older kites and much of the newer stuff. He's never made the full database available publicly to my knowledge or I would have a copy  Wink but he pops in the relevant info when someone asks. As I recall he once requested members help on getting more of the newer kites entered into it, I don't know how far that went. You might contact him, he has already worked out a formatting and put it into some sort of database program or Excel.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 12:45 PM »

My chart linked above continues to be updated. It isn't kite specific but has inside & outside diameters, weights and standard deflection (stiffness) of almost every spar available today, I've left off spars that haven't been available for 3-4 years but it still includes approximately 200 spars and rods. I'm still searching for spec's on some of the European spars, if anybody has that info or a link to the info I can include it too. 

It is also now available in an html format (best viewed in Internet Explorer 7 or above) for those who don't have Microsoft Excel, a compatible program or viewer. Of course you won't be able to take advantage of the data sorting features available in Excel but the data is there with a few formatting problems with the comments and credits.

HTML Version - view able in a browser

Excel Version

None of the measurements or specs are mine but gathered from available published sources I've found. I've tried to give credit to those who did the actual work, or note where the info was gathered. Some of the deflection measurements have been factored by me so that all deflection measurements are based on the industry standard of 2 lbs weight on a 26" span.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:47 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change