GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dennis "Dorsal" Fishback  (Read 2028 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 14, 2011, 01:27 PM »

Information:
http://hosting-24683.tributes.com/show/Dennis-L.-Fishback-91092610

I just found out that a fellow flier passed in March of this year.
Dennis was a friend who I worked with in California and introduced to kites. He ended up becoming quite the builder and repaired many of my kites along with those of Steve Hall and others on this Forum. As in his work and his hobbies, he always did more than you expected.

I will miss him.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:35 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:36 PM »

Just a few days ago I looked up Dennis on Facebook. I knew he had been very sick, but I realized I hadn't heard anything in a long time. When I saw he had passed in March, I assumed I had been in a funk that week and missed posts about it. I was in a funk a lot earlier this year.

Dennis was a super generous guy AND a curmudgeon. An interesting combination.  Smiley  Always good to fly with or just stand around chatting with. We did both many times, especially on lunch breaks at Baylands.

I've missed him for years since he dropped out of kiting, somehow I miss him more now.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:36 PM »

Chris and I have many great memories of flying with Dennis, and many a sail was sent to Dennis for a little sewing.
Do you remember when long end caps that you covered your nocks with were called "Dorsal Caps"? One manufacturer even called them that in their specs for a kite.  Dennis' name on the forum was Dorsal and although he wasn't the first to cover nocks with end caps he turned me on to it and the idea really took off.
Rest well my friend.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:15 PM »

Sad news guys. I remember he was fond of a stack of Spirit quads, I can fly a Rev for him.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:05 PM »

That's sad news indeed. For some reason I was just thinking about him last week.

I remember the Dorsal caps and the RWB Spirit stack. He'll be missed.

Bob
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:15 PM »

Dennis was a big fan of the Spirit. If you look closely at the Spirit Stack you will see that he has RWB leader lines. A subtle touch.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jaybett

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09 PM »

My favorite memories of Dennis: The picture of the Prophecy, that he vented. He had his wife hold up the kite, but her feet were sticking out at the bottom. He had some remark about the kite didn't come with shoes.

There was some altercation with the police. They wouldn't let him fly at some spot. So he flew his Spirit in the middle of the road in front of the police car. One of the all time best kite photos.

Fliers who had work done by him, were constantly praising his skill, and his creativity in finding solutions.

He did come off as a curmudgeon, but he was honest, and not afraid to skewer peoples beliefs. When I inquired about having some work done. He replied with a series of questions of why I wanted the work done.

He was one of people that made the old forum, such a fun place to visit.

Rest in peace,

Jay
kitebug
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:48 PM »

Dennis also loved Flying his Adrenaline Stack Sad and the long rainbow tails. I remember him in his soccer shoes to not get dragged on the grass at Baylands.

I did not know he had passed, I prayer to him and him Family.

Volando!
Cisco
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 09:19 PM »

Very sad news.

Dorsal repaired a number of sails for me.

He will be missed.
wicastawakan
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:39 AM »

Been gone awhile but became good frieds w/ Dorsal.  Lots of kite talent/knowledge.  Super guy.
Farmer_rob
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 09:15 AM »

Sad Sad Sad

Dennis was a good egg, full of ideas and passion- he spent some time surveying and studying more than one of my SLKs.

When Jim told me I thought I had the wrong guy as I am horrid with names

Good winds Den

Farmer Rob est. 1999
Longtime Member- Ask Dan Whitney- LOL
(and if u don;t know Dan, well... there's yer sign)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 10:47 AM »

+1 on all the above comments. I thought about him two weeks ago, after realizing I need more Dorsal caps. That made me conscious he hadn't been on the forum in a long time. RIP and blessings to the family. His "Spirit" is strong here.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:55 AM »

I think I bought my first "Dorsal caps" from him, actually. Nice guy who was a credit to the old forum and kiting.

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Sad news, I was thinking about Dennis this week, I was cleaning up some kite gear and found some "Dorsal Caps" and was thinking I hadn't seen Dennis on the forum for a long while. 
I was always fond of his huge homemade single line kite, I think one of John's pictures was of it.
R.I.P. Dennis Sad
bakerworks
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43 PM »

I flew with Dennis once in Dubin CA.  He had his "After Burner" SLK out (the one in John C's photo at the top of this thread).  Great flying kite of his own design.  It used velcro to attach the tails to the main kite body.  Nice guy.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document