GWTW Forum
August 31, 2014, 01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana yoyo stopper - hard or soft  (Read 1141 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: October 14, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Folks,

Whats the difference between the hard and soft stoppers and which do you prefer?  I would think that harder plastic would be better - last longer, not get cut up from the lines, be less likely to grab the line, etc. 

I need to replace a damaged stopper.  I assume that they simply slide over the spar, no zip-tie, etc?  It seems that the idea is that they remain 'mobile'.  I am also assuming that I will need to remove the entire spare from the kite in order to install the new stopper.

Any info on this appreciated, thanks.

-Tom

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01 PM »

the hard is as you'd imagine, hard plastic, but the soft isn't as soft as an apa fitting for example. they're more like the stiff rubber used on center-t's. you're right you'll have to remove the spar to slide it on.

given they're not particularly easy to find in the states, and a pain to replace, because of the amount of, let's say, "ground work" i do, i replaced mine with a rollbar solution which has a clean leading edge profile, so no worries on tip drags and k2000's etc.

the idea of the hard is nice but i'd be worried about getting it stuck on something and having it crack an icone spar.

there's no doubt though, they're the coolest looking stoppers, giving your kite 'horns'.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38 PM »

They remind me more of training wheels than horns.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:14 PM »

Fidelio has it right roll bars are the go. If you have to remove the LE why not, or if you do not want to remove the LE split an APA and zip tie it on, maybe Steve has some in stock but Skyburner does them with the zip tie and ready to go. Rollbars are the way to do it, I like them a lot more than the stops. Use fibreglass not carbon on the roll bars 2 or 2.5 is good, an APA on the LE and a Jaco sail grabber on the trailing edge. Around 50 cm for the average roll bar. Just my preference Smiley
      Mike
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:33 AM »

I've fitted rollbars on my 'vana but it slightly changes the balance in your kite. Not too bad though.
The downside of rollbars is that in yofade the lines are not stopped. The 'vana has quitte a wide bridle (Debray and RTG) so the lines slip to the tips. I have the same problem with the p2. The JoE solution with the slipcatch might solve this.

The soft Horn-style stoppers wear a trough a lot faster then the hard plastic type. I don't like them very much. I always have trouble with the bridle catching behind a stopper while recovering on the ground. Very annoying.

Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45 AM »

I have Jon T's Stoppers in all of my Kites. They are more Square and with a Zip tie. I have not had one break yet. They have gone thru one compition season. With a lot of practice time and ground work in 1" tall grass.

They work on Both my Vana's and my T. Next kites just fine. and have not broke a leading edge as of yet. 2pt and No wind included

ED
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:02 PM »

Thanks for the information.

I installed some of Lams sky claws. I love how they look (low profile) and they also work very very well. 

Tom

6 kite tom
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33 PM »

What's the difference between the hard and soft stoppers and which do you prefer?

The difference isn't huge but if I was given a choice, it'd be the soft. If I wasn't given the option, then it's far from a deal breaker.

I assume that they simply slide over the spar, no zip-tie, etc?  It seems that the idea is that they remain 'mobile'.  I am also assuming that I will need to remove the entire spare from the kite in order to install the new stopper.

And here you come across the problem with these little buggers:-

It can be a major rebuild with spars, fittings and bridle lines all over the shop just for a small bit of plastic. And so ingenuity comes to the rescue !! What you do is cut a slice out of the opposite-side-to-the-horn and drill a hole at the very base of the horn. What you end up with is an elongated c-clip with a growth. You can then slip them on without the wholesale reconstruction and use a tie wrap to stop them from rotating on the spar (which is to be discouraged as they have a habit of hiding).

I'm sure I can find a picture if this all sounds pure gibberish.

Another option is the horrendously clunky but functional Kitehouse blobs that do the same thing as above.

Mike

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 12:11 AM »

to go along with what mike said just above, if you make that slice at an angle so it spirals a little bit, it's a little more difficult to get onto the spar, but should anything happen to the zip-tie, it also makes it a little harder for the stopper to come off by itself.

Fdeli
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 01:10 AM »

I'm sure I can find a picture if this all sounds pure gibberish.
A bit of a pre-emptive strike on my part here. Note how there is no need for much of a cutout, just a hole punched in the LE (if you're fitting these to a kite that does have cutouts, then a strip of dacron tape can be used).

Mike.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document