GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvanic State of Yo  (Read 2108 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: October 18, 2011, 10:21 PM »

I recently picked up a Nirvana.  The first time out, I really enjoyed the kite all around and felt right at home with it, but wasn't happy with the yo-yos - they were just too much work.  Everything else is sweet and the kite flys very well with great drive even in low wind.  I am finally getting the Taz and this kite does them sweetly and oh so easily - the nose readily goes high and it flat-spins pretty well.

I did a little research and found some suggestions of tweaks that others have tried - the RTG bridle,  shortening the upper spreader, and adding more tail weight.

I tied a new RTG bridle and I like it even more than the original, but the yo-yos were not significantly better.   

I tried a shorter (49) upper spreader and that certainly did the trick - the kite would yoyo faster and more easily, but still wasn't curling my toes and it seemed to lose some precision as well (although it was still very good). 

Finally, I added more weight.  I don't know how much weigh the kite came with (seems like 18g from their website), but it does have a weight glued into the tail of the spine - mine is also framed in Icone (not sure if that makes a difference concerning how much tail-weight you may need, but it seems like it could).   After adding 15g to the tail - it reallly woke up the yo-yo and I am now in Nirvana.  I even went back to the original upper spreader and the kite still works very well all around including nice, eager yo-yos.  I'm having some fun with the kite.

So, what have others tried and found has worked with their Nirvanas?  How much do you add (if any)?

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:19 AM »

I recently picked up a Nirvana.

Finally a proper kite  Tongue

So, what have others tried and found has worked with their Nirvanas?  How much do you add (if any)?

This is one of the oddities of the Nirvana - there are a myriad of different frames, bridles, weightings, etc. and yet all of them seem to produce A Good Kite. Even production versions have varied quite a lot over the years, nevermind "official" tweaks and numerous home-brewed approaches, but it's hard to shake off the essential Nirvana-y-ness.

That said, I seriously doubt that there is one magic setup out there that everyone will prefer. It's less of a Universal Constant and more of a moveable feast (unlike some kites that must have an upper spreader of 48.5cm or they burst into flames, sulk in the corner and molest your cat). If you want more Yoyoitude, either more on the turbo leg (if it's a dynamic bridle) or more weight (if you simply must). Although another 15g. on an already weighted up kites seems like a big jump for such a fundamentally sorted kite like the Nirvana.

Is this already known to you ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14 AM »

Debatable, but an improper statement nonetheless Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:23 AM »

I once had a NSE and added 12gr to that kite for better Yoyo-ing.
I know the Nirvana and NSE are different kites, but they are not that different.

Krijn
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24 AM »

I've got a whole bag full or proper kites!  I felt that it would be good to have a kite that many flyers regularly and highly regard as a comparison to my usual kites.  I do this often and usually end up selling them off, but I think I will keep this one in the bag!  Smiley

Is this already known to you ?

Mike.

Thanks for the link - a great resource.  That was the site that I used to create my RTG bridle.

I will experiment with adjusting the turbo leg and also trying to lighten up the weight a bit (if mine is up to specs, then I'm hauling 18+15=33g on the tail), although the kite flys like a dream now as-is.  Somehow, I think for whatever reason, my built-in weight is far lighter than 18g.

One other question.  Does the external Nirvana weight kite which looks like a brass cyclinder (not the one that attaches above the velcro) simply fit onto the bottom of the spine weight in the NFE?

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21 PM »

Hmm, I haven't tried that upper spreader idea yet, maybe I'll make one up and give it a try.  Is it 49cm for the NFE & NSE?

thanks,
  Mike
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:11 PM »

Hmm, I haven't tried that upper spreader idea yet, maybe I'll make one up and give it a try.  Is it 49cm for the NFE & NSE?

thanks,
  Mike

NFE, not sure about NSE, but I think it is just generally a bit more pitch-friendly as it comes.

The default length I think is 51.  I actually moved it to 49.5 which worked pretty well; at that length - you can see it pulling it in a bit.

-Tom

6 kite tom
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32 PM »

On the original Nirvana, the stock upper spreader length is 50cm. Cutting it to 49cm is the way to go.

As for the tail weight, the garden variety Nirvana did come with 15g. The Icone versions have a 5pt spine and may have 18g stuffed in the tail but I do not know for certain. My Collector had 18g. My favorite set up was 20g total on the tail. If you've got 33g, something ain't right somewhere. I am fairly certain of that.

You should check the US placement along the LE. LS placement as well. Fold the LE together and measure from the tip of the nose to the APA seam. Measurement should be 33.5cm. To the LS APA, 97cm. If the US is in the incorrect position it will likely affect yoyos. Also, the center T should be placed exactly in the center of the cutout. Standoffs perpendicular to the LS as well.

In my experience, 33g will foul up flat spins and the nose will go goofy with Half Axels. At least that is what I recall all these years later. Of course, to each his own and if that is how you like it just go with it. I can certainly tell you I love me some Nirvana. Tongue

tpatter

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:02 PM »

Thanks for the information! 

I will check my kites measurements when I get home tonight. Smiley

6 kite tom
Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:34 PM »

+1!
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47 PM »

You should check the US placement along the LE. LS placement as well. Fold the LE together and measure from the tip of the nose to the APA seam. Measurement should be 33.5cm. To the LS APA, 97cm. If the US is in the incorrect position it will likely affect yoyos. Also, the center T should be placed exactly in the center of the cutout. Standoffs perpendicular to the LS as well.

I may have found a problem.

By 'APA seam' do you mean the line that is at about the middle of the APA?  If so, I am about 0.75cm off.

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49 PM »

33g seems like an awful lot of weight... But I seem to recall Martin Madsen saying that is what he's using in his... Not that that is for everyone. But it seems to work for him.

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Smeagol

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15 PM »

Just measured mine:

Debray Replica US = 49.5 cm, spreader APA c-clips @ ~34 & 97 cm.  Nirvana SE US = 52 cm, spreader APA c-clips @ ~34 & 98 cm.

Interesting differences, maybe I should try a shorter US on the NSE.

-Mike
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:22 PM by Smeagol » Logged
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:27 AM »

The Debray has different settings so cannot be used to compare.

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16 AM »

I like the std N (the one with the 15g internal TW) with + 5 more g. So total TW 20g. The thing about the N is that it can take lots of different "mods" and amazingly still work. For me, it gets kind of weird with too much TW but some put a big chunk and still use it.

I also like the cut down US and set the bridle up heavy like DeBray.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum