GWTW Forum
September 25, 2017, 01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting Fiberglass tube  (Read 616 times)
AugustusM
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 23, 2017, 08:54 AM »

I am doing my first repair of the HighTech Paladin.  It has 4mm fiberglass tubes.  The right lower spreader broke.  I have replacement tubes coming in the mail and thought I'd ask for any pointers in cutting this to size.

Thanks in advance
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56 AM »

fine tooth handsaw....or dremel...
cut it slightly long and then clean up the edge with a fingernail emery board....
do not breath dust!!!!

and if it is a  tube then try not to cut straight down, spin the rod as you cut it to get a more uniform cut.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Chooks

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:46 PM »

If you don't have a fine toothed saw, just wrap it with masking tape and cut through the tape with a hack saw, remove and give it a final sand. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:48 PM by Chooks » Logged
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:16 PM »

Yes, wrapping it with tape first always works well for me too  Smiley
makatakam

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 11:34 AM »

A Dremel tool with a diamond wheel does a fast and clean job. Tape the tube or rod. Put the tool in a vise or clamp it to a table. Spin the tube while making light contact with the wheel and you'll have a clean, even cut in moments. Works especially well with carbon rods and tubes that normally tend to splinter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:36 AM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 11:46 AM »

worth repeating for fiberglass and carbon. Avoid inhaling and handling the dust as little as possible

Sine Metu!
Roger

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:57 AM »

If cutting with a hand-saw there are no finer blades than those used with a jeweler's saw, aka piercing saw. The slow cutting will help keep the dust from flying up. A dust mask will keep it out of your lungs as others mentioned not breathing it, and safety goggles will help keep dust out of your eyes. You can help insure a square cut by using a v-block to rest the tube in while cutting, whether you roll the tube or not. Make a slot in the block to guide the blade as you see in mitre boxes.
AugustusM

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I got the masking tape ready.  I gotta get a better saw.  They are only 4mm tubes for an ul.
midibot
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:52 PM »

Lots of a good advice here on cutting.

My eye was caught by your reference to fiberglass for the tubes on your Paladin. While there are some specs out there stating that the tubes are fiberglass, in fact they are carbon on my New Tech Paladin -- both the leading edges and spreaders. Mine came that way.

It will make a difference to performance (flexibility/stiffness).

Fly your pants off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom