GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seattle Air Gear WD Parafoil bridle material question  (Read 2132 times)
theodocius
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 20, 2011, 02:11 PM »

Hi all.  Haven't posted in a while, well, OK, maybe a few years.

Wind Dance instructions refer to #346 bonded dacron and #207 bonded dacron as their bridle line material.  Does anyone know what this is, or an equivilent?  Seattle Air Gear is out of business, and their website gone.  These items are required for making bridle line repairs. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24 AM »

FYI, you can see most of the Seattle Air Gear site (rants and all) on the Wayback Machine:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://seattleairgear.com

Just looked at the 2008 version of the site and there is a bridle repair section.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:29 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
theodocius

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18 PM »

Thanks Allen, but I had already checked the WayBack, and with Steve, and with Goodwinds.  And I have the SAG manuals.  They do indeed have a bridle repair section.  It instructs you how to identify which lines you need, and they (SAG) will send you repair materials free.  Obviously, that is no longer an option, and they never identify the bridle material beyond "#346 bonded dacron and #207 bonded dacron".  No line strength info is given.  Googling #346 bonded dacron, etc. yielded no actionable info.

I was tempted to wing it with some spectra, but I don't know how that will play with the rest of the dacron bridle.  I suspect dacron line has a little more elasticity than spectra.  And perhaps the WD3 won't care.  It still flies pretty well even with three broken lines in brisk winds (as in scudding on the beach while wearing lugged-sole hiking shoes).

Ted
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31 PM »

Try here-- just know that Dacron is a brand name often used interchangeably with polyester:
http://www.cshyde.com/Moreproducts/threads.htm

(look in the column labeled "Trade Size")

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
theodocius

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:52 AM »

Thank you Nancy!  Searching for 346 and 207 bonded polyester yields results.  Thanks again.

Ted
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:06 PM »

Glad I could help with something around here ;-)

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12 PM »

Maybe Steve should start stocking this stuff, 'cause all our WD foils (and their bridles) are getting older!

Norm in Toronto
theodocius

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26 AM »

Norm, interesting thought, though I don't know how widespread the demand is for this material.  This would be an ideal "stock" item because the typical user only needs a few yds that could ship in an envelope at low cost.

I expect my shipment of bonded polyester 'thread' today, and I'll report on results.  The downside is a 4 oz spool of 346 bonded poly contains 325 yds., and 525 yds. in the 207.  A lifetime supply for a fleet of WDs.

I really enjoy flying my WDs, and they are very packable for travelling anywhere.  Great beach kite.

Norm, as a long-time advocate and flyer of WDs, should you ever need a few yds. of the bridle material, just ask and ye shall receive.

Ted
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:10 AM »

Thanks, Ted. Since I'm 99% flying fighter kites these days, I suspect my WD bridles will last a while, unless they deteriorate in the bag. OTOH, you may be getting requests from others, now that you've "blown your cover"!

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum