GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridle length - 122cm kite  (Read 2739 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 23, 2011, 11:43 PM »

Hello all.
During the w.e a friend came across and brought a little dual line kite like the micron. It has the bridle messed up and even i tried to set it up, the kite will fly good but have some tuning to be done.I measured the kite length and it is 48" wide (Sail-to-sail) and 26" in height (nose-to-tail) and 32" in height (nose-to-sail tips)
It is somewhat larger than the micron but would like to start a new 3 pt bridle on it for my friend.
Anyone can give me measures of the Micron bridle and detailed length?

Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:17 AM by btreize » Logged

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06 AM »

There are a lot of factors that determine bridle length so bridles are usually specific to particular kites and even kites of a simlar size can need very different bridle dimensions.

If you want to build a new bridle from scratch this is one of the best sites I have found. Just scroll down to the 'Rule of thumb static bridle' it will give you a very good starting point to work from.

http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:09 AM »

Hadge, thanks for the info. I already checked but wanted a length to start with and fine tune it on field.
Thanks
B

B-13

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41 PM »

I finally finished the bridle on the kite and i did a three point bridle with adjustment at the APA connectors via a knotted piece of bridle line. With 1 cm interval in the knots.
Getting the kite up is no problem and flying straight is OK but now the kite will somehow do an over rotation ether left or right and will be too hard to recover in a straight flight.
What can be wrong here? Tow point too close or too far from center T?
I read somewhere that tow point far and close to center reacts on the turns of kites.

Any help from the experts here?

Hadge

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:40 AM »

Your inhaul line - from the tow point to the spine - may be too short. Easiest way is to make another pigtail looped round the spine with knots every cm or so. Put a loop on the spine end of the inhaul then you can make adjustments by moving along the knots until you get it right.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 05:16 AM »

Yes, this is possible as it over turns a lot. I chat today with some one here, CA Ike who suggested me longer the inhauls. ALll this time i thought that shorter inhauls made less turns. Was wrong!!

Will try the new setup and revert back

B-13

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:55 AM »

My first impression was that the kite might be set too "Heavy", that would be the upper outhaul being too long, but you said the kite goes forward fine and a heavy kite doesn't fly forward well. But your description also stated that the kite spins too rapidly and is hard to transition to forward flight after a spin which can point to the kite being set too heavy.

My second impression was also that the either the inhaul was too short or the lower outhaul was too long placing the bridle point to close to the center of the kite. In that case the kite may fly forward fine but spin to rapidly resulting in oversteer on exit. That is the kite keeps spinning after you attempt to transition to straight flight, that may be what you are describing. (hard to diagnose a problem from others descriptions rather then actually flying the kite)

It may even be a combination of the two. But don't go trying multiple changes all at once or you'll never know which it was, since the consensus and Anthony-Ca_Ike feel the inhaul or lower outhaul length is the problem I would definitely start there. Mark your current positions and make a small change and try the kite, if it improves go a bit further until you feel you're having a negative impact and mark that position, now you have a minimum & maximum mark on that adjustment.  If the kite still doesn't seem quite right you can try the upper outhaul length to see how that effects the kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
B-13

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:10 AM »

Yesterday took the kite out for a test with the new bridle installed. IT FLIES!! Grin Well too
I have good tracking with it and it flies straight now. No more over rotations with it but now it does not rotate/spins like i want. Shorten the inhaul for this and same.
So lets break this down. Launch and drive is OK. Left to right is OK and it is very fast in this.
Doing loops and 8 figures with it is painful as it will loose power or do large turn radius. Perhaps shortening the inhaul i little bit may help

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27 AM »

That could be set too light, a wide turning radius is a symptom of that. If you've used an adjustable pigtail at the tow point move that back or toward the bottom of the kite. If you've used an adjustable pigtail at the upper outhaul lengthen that.

Nobody has come up with original bridle dimensions for you? You could order a new bridle through GWTW right here, but I have a 2nd Gen Micron, I'll try to get it out and do a quick measurement and maybe get a couple shots of it.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
B-13

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:39 AM »

Mike, i adjusted on the field as you suggested before i read this post. Yes putting the bridle to a heavier setting resolve the issue and i shorten a bit the inhaul which make tracking more comfortable. However the wind was high today and i set to a lighter setting to reduce stress on the frame and sail.
Thanks all for the help. I keep on experiencing with the setting till i find a sweet spot for it but a sweet spot never reached as winds and condition vary from day to day  Wink
Yes if you have time and post or PM me the micron bridle settings i can try it on the kite. It's a Eolo kite and the bridle was messed up on it. I started a new bridle from scratch. Firstly to learn the steps and to understand how all this work with different settings and how it affects flying.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:09 AM »

Oh an Eolo like a Micron. As others pointed out bridles are so dependent on other design factors that they are not really interchangeable based only on size. Most kites bridles do have a similar relationship when you pull the bridle down over the lower spreader tight on the inhaul and upper outhaul, then tight on the two outhauls. I'll try to get a shot of those two positions, if yours varies a lot you could try adjusting it to more closely match but that again is only a starting point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography