GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not has hard as I thought it would be  (Read 1250 times)
Brosenberger
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 25, 2011, 03:31 PM »

As most know, I'm still VERY new to this sport but I am finding that every day out, every small breeze puts a smile on my face.  With the fun comes new skills not only with flying but with repair.

I recently treated myself to a Prism Zephyr and I love it.  I've had a few problems with it but I was able to not only fix them but also learn a bit more about the construction of a kite.  In both situations the problem was with a Male framing piece.  It seems that the male adaptor is glued inside a regular frame rod and I have problems with them coming lose.  The first one was the male lower spreader which is a very visible pieces.  A little bit of super glue and my kite was back in the air.  The second piece was not so easy.  I had the male leading edge come unglued.  After about an hour of wondering how to get to it (since it's concealed in fabric), I figured out how to slip it all the way out the bottom.  I then reglued the male adaptor and put everything back together.  This process not only made me MUCH more comfortable with the construction of the kite but also with self confidence of fixing things that may go wrong.

I am now onto my next problem.  Today while out in a beautiful 9mph wind, I got a gust of what felt like it had to be 20+mph.  It pulled the kite so hard that both of my arms went to full extension, it snapped my 65x90# right line and snapped my male lower spreader right where it passes through the center T.  I'm not sure if it was ground impact or wind stress that broke the spreader but it is at this point unfixable.

I was able to retie my line to fix that but it is about 2 inches shorter now.  My next step is to order a new male lower spreader and I should be good.

I have another kite that is in need of repair.  While flying my zeph a few days ago, I let my brother use my Skydog Dream On.  After a few loops he lawn darted into the ground and shattered the spine in half.  At this point I need to find out where to get the replacement spine.  So far I am unable to find one.

Thanks for reading and feedback,
Brad
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+76)

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:45 PM »

what size rod for spine our host could possibly get for you if not let me know i have many rods and kite parts

steve

Steve & Sherri
Brosenberger

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:59 PM »

Well, that's my other problem, Can I just measure it end to end or is there a diameter that you need? also, is it worth trying to find lighter replacements to eventually end up with a lighter kite?

Brad
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:32 PM »

steve@gwtwkites.comare host will fix you up

have fun kurt
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08 PM »

As most know, I'm still VERY new to this sport but I am finding that every day out, every small breeze puts a smile on my face.  With the fun comes new skills not only with flying but with repair.

I recently treated myself to a Prism Zephyr and I love it.  I've had a few problems with it but I was able to not only fix them but also learn a bit more about the construction of a kite.  In both situations the problem was with a Male framing piece.  It seems that the male adaptor is glued inside a regular frame rod and I have problems with them coming lose.  The first one was the male lower spreader which is a very visible pieces.  A little bit of super glue and my kite was back in the air.  The second piece was not so easy.  I had the male leading edge come unglued.  After about an hour of wondering how to get to it (since it's concealed in fabric), I figured out how to slip it all the way out the bottom.  I then reglued the male adaptor and put everything back together.  This process not only made me MUCH more comfortable with the construction of the kite but also with self confidence of fixing things that may go wrong.

I am now onto my next problem.  Today while out in a beautiful 9mph wind, I got a gust of what felt like it had to be 20+mph.  It pulled the kite so hard that both of my arms went to full extension, it snapped my 65x90# right line and snapped my male lower spreader right where it passes through the center T.  I'm not sure if it was ground impact or wind stress that broke the spreader but it is at this point unfixable.

I was able to retie my line to fix that but it is about 2 inches shorter now.  My next step is to order a new male lower spreader and I should be good.

I have another kite that is in need of repair.  While flying my zeph a few days ago, I let my brother use my Skydog Dream On.  After a few loops he lawn darted into the ground and shattered the spine in half.  At this point I need to find out where to get the replacement spine.  So far I am unable to find one.

Thanks for reading and feedback,
Brad
You can order parts from Prism directly for your Prism Zephyr: 
links to non sponsors are not allowed here........
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:04 AM by thief » Logged
ko

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08 PM »

yeah so instead of using are sponsor he can pay shipping for 2 orders makes sense to me

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05 PM »

The specs I found say 6mm carbon, the .2400 pultruded carbon should be a suitable replacement for what may be a Chinese produced spar. Steve here at GWTW / Chico Kites should be able to confirm that and provide a repalcement, looks like about $5.

As far as replacing spars with lighter spars I wouldn't attempt to do it a piece at a time. If you really want to try to lighten it up I would look into a full reframe using Skyshark P200's. You could replace the spine at this time with a Skyshark P300 which should be as stiff or stiffer then the stock 6mm spine but it will probably require modifying or replacing the center T.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 02:00 AM »

If it was just the ferrule that broke you can replace it and there are several ways to remove a broken ferrule.  THe easiest is to get a 6mm drill bit and drill out the old ferrule but make sure to drill straight and centered.  Using a vice to hold the rod helps.

Best t hing to do is contact Steve and have  him send you a new male LS for your Zeph and spine for your dream on.  YOu can always try and save your old spreader for a spare but the first time you try and remove a broken ferrule you have a good change to break the spar so get a replacement first then try and save the old one Smiley
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:16 AM »

Can I just say..... it would be a really good thing to give Steve a call, because talking with him is amazing. He's a heck of a nice guy and conversations with him are really fun. Aside from the cool-factor, while talking with him he'll come up with a gazillion ideas to help you do your repair jobs.

Also, before this conversation, check out the website (chicokites.com) to see if there's anything else you might want to order. If you put together an order for $25 or more, he'll ship everything for free. AND it's really fast. If there's something you want and you don't see it on the site, ask! He'll either be able to get it for you or know where you can go to get it.

just sayin'

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
kitelover

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19 AM »

Kurt,

ARE you trying to offend OUR spelling police?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:22 PM »

I should add this little tid bit.  I've set my zeph on the light wind knot and haven't moved it at all but I rarely fly mine in more than 5-8 mph
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23 PM »

Thanks everyone ... Brad and I are getting an order together.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ko

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Kurt,

ARE you trying to offend OUR spelling police?
abssolutlee.. and brad,you are in good hands
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:40 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document