GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 02:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Focus Jinx  (Read 1415 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: October 28, 2011, 11:46 PM »

Well, it arrived today.  just over a year wait, and well worth it.  Wanted to share some pictures of my new custom Jinx.  Designed and completed by Paul de Bakker, sewn by unknown party, color combination picked out by Sugarbaker.

I'm not sure where Paul has his secret stash of Skyshark P2X spars, but he used some on this Jinx. Interestingly, he opts to use Avia Sport "B-Tweeny" lower spreaders rather than tapered sky shark options. 

Notice the serpentine stitch... these kites originally had a multiple step zig-zag, but during Paul's transition to the west coast and the company's change to a new sewer, the final Jinxes produced utilized the serpentine stitch. I also like how the baton fits into the leading edge.  It's very clean.  I'm really a fan of the mylar sail panels.  If anyone knows where I can get this fabric, let me know so I can get some for my own use.

An innovative feature found on Paul's bridle... a sleeve over the upper outhaul to protect from wear on the lower spreader.

This is now the 6th kite in my collection that I've yet to fly (this list includes some of my own builds!).  One of these days I'll actually get out when there is some wind and get these beautiful kites in the air. 
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:21 AM »

I think at one point they were using Pam and Mike for there sails but I can't say for sure.
Dano

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03 AM »

Well you just let me know when, and i'll be there!  Cheesy
just not today ok, i'm down south.  Wink

- oh, nice kite too!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:05 AM by Dano » Logged
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:06 AM »

Nice looking kite.  Very well constructed.  Is it a Hydra?  Jinx has different panel layout I think.  I could be wrong.  Kiss.  D
sugarbaker

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:43 AM »

This is a jinx for sure. You are correct though, the original sail pattern for the jinx was different. After the release of the hydra, Paul and Hunter made some shuttle changes to the jinx, and one big change with the graphics. If you look up some pictures of the hydra, you'll see that it is slightly different in its sail pattern.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 12:51 PM »

Looks pretty, but I have one complain Smiley
The bungee cord connection method to the sail ...
sugarbaker

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24 PM »

bungee cord? If you're looking at the wingtip tensioning, it is braided Dacron and doesn't stretch.  It utilizes HQ nocks the same way Skyburner and a few other brands do.
ae

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:08 PM »

I mean the simple hole in the dacron of the leading edge, where the tension cord is running through.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25 AM »

you could always add a patch of kevlar (on the back) with 9460 Bonding Tape and a punch metal grommet (thru the front) to reinforce the hole.  Or wait until it starts to fail and then address it as repairs.
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02 AM »

you could always add a patch of kevlar (on the back) with 9460 Bonding Tape and a punch metal grommet (thru the front) to reinforce the hole.  Or wait until it starts to fail and then address it as repairs.

I've been "waiting" for mine to fail for over two years of VERY heavy use so far.  Smiley
sugarbaker

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:25 AM »

I'm not too worried about it.  I have a number of kites that use this same method.  Between the dacron leading edge and the "ultra heavy, indestructible" mylar trailing edge that it has between it, I think it will probably last longer than the other kites I have.
ae

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30 PM »

Yes, it will hold, for me, it just looks cheap, there are much neater methods, for example:
https://picasaweb.google.com/HeinzKetchup76/Baudoku314#5668448588376848130
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 04:35 PM »

I do like the method you've pictured.  I tend to go back and forth between the two when building my own kites.  Recently, I've gone with a two hole method that distributes the tension over more of the leading edge. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document