GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If A Great Sport Kite Cost $50  (Read 1908 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 29, 2011, 12:23 PM »

Let's just say that somehow, someone came up with a wonderful, full-sized sport kite....

Perhaps a new technology where a 9v battery charges a one-piece wing of aligned polymers becoming rigid to produce a 2.3 meter, 1-piece sport kite that had different thickness walls to get to the proper weight/distribution, and stiffness of a modern trick kite like the Talon (just for example). The kite would fly and trick as a normally constructed kite. The panel layout or design could be sprayed on. Sort of like Batman's cape in one of the recent movies.

Would traditional kite making die out?
Would all the regulars buy one?
Would sport kiting expand as a result of a low cost wonder kite's availability?

Just wondering on a slow Saturday mid-morning?

Personally, I don't think I'd buy one (perhaps a snobbery thing), but I would try one just to see.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:49 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:57 PM »

My opinion - which I assume that you were asking for same- is YES, some fliers would take a shot just out of curiosity. After the initial wave, the owners would write their opinions. Good reports would stimulate sales - bad reports would kill it. Eventually, the market always sifts out the garbage. When the Volkswagen first came out, everyone laughed themselves silly- Who wanted to ride around in a bug? - Who's laughing now?

Stoney
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17 PM »

That Zenith was $56!?!?  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:34 PM »

I'd buy one, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Don't know why exactly, but somehow a kite like you describe feels like cheating to me  Cheesy

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:40 PM »

I'd buy one. If it did all the tricks for $50 that would be great. I know it would have saved me a lot of money looking for the ideal trick kite and I think more people would get into this sport if they had a good kite to begin with. It would be interesting to see what happens when the battery dies in flight Smiley
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:58 PM »

Hey John -
Do you know something we don't  Roll Eyes

CV

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:57 PM »

It might get more people to try kites. For me, I'd still want the high end stuff. There's nothing like craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Bob D.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03 PM »

And the ul would cost?

Sine Metu!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:21 PM »

if the only sacrifice is price, of course it would sell.

people didn't stop buying computers, flat screen monitors, cell phones, cameras, and mp3 players because they (relatively speaking) got cheap.

there's certainly a psychology to pricing which experts in the field undoubtedly make a tidy sum advising companies about. generally speaking however, with one notable mass market exception (nameless for civility), a lower price for the same performance is seen as progress, and with only fleeting initial skepticism accepted readily by the majority.

people have an amazing ability to smell out a rat, only topped by their ability to smell out a good bargain.

Fdeli
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:01 AM »

Perhaps a new technology where a 9v battery charges a one-piece wing of aligned polymers....
My first question would be why such an advanced technology was reliant on outmoded alkaline batteries. Grin

Would traditional kite making die out?
Would all the regulars buy one?
Would sport kiting expand as a result of a low cost wonder kite's availability?
The experience of other activities where a new technology has been introduced to replicate an existing one is varied - the snowboard hasn't usurped the ski but exists alongside, plenty of people still seem to enjoy pouring nitromethane into their r/c vehicles when a LiPo/brushless setup would eliminate this, the Chinese have surely seen the knife and fork but persist with chopsticks*.

What would happen would be something. Any suggestion that someone might know what that something will be is ludicrous. It'd be pure speculation. I'd guess that those of us in the hobby now might try it and at least keep our traditionally created kites but that newcomers would be far more likely to go with the new approach. Whether this would be an expansion or a division..... dunno.

Mike.
* thank you, Mr. Seinfeld.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 09:26 AM »

John, did you break into Area 51? Where do these ideas come from.  Smiley
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:55 PM »

I find that in most of my hobbies, the neat and really cool stuff to have is fairly pricey. Why?  What would justify spending that kind of money on something like that?   A few decades ago, when nearly any kite you purchased was signed by the PERSON that built it, with pride and care, you never questioned the cost of the kite. Yeah the materials were relatively cheap and if it was done efficiently, they could make several kites in a month.  What you paid for then, was the education and experience that they had, over what you have.  They could design and make a great kite that gave you enjoyment. You may have your own skills.  Mechanics, Doctors, Lawyers, other craftsman, you pay for their knowledge and experience.  As it should be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document