GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLK TYPE THAT WOULD WORK  (Read 2810 times)
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: October 29, 2011, 06:38 PM »

A few months ago I saw a person with a SLK but didn't take note to good, Now I want one like it. It was a kite just tied to a beached tree, the kite stayed high in the sky with not too much wind, the person then opened an umbrella looking kite that climbed up the line then opened another umbrella looking kite and another, one the kite got to the top on the line it would colapse and free fall into the climbing one, it would pop closed aqnd both would fall into another climbing kite and pop closed, he was doing this for an hour or so and looked like fun to me. My question is what kind of main kite would I need? How long and strong and type of line would I need for it to handle about 4 of these climbing popping kites?
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:19 PM »

The climbers are called "Poppers".

They were developed by Andre Cassagene in France and hand craftged for the US market by Pete Rondeau. Gomberg Kites distributed them. Later Pete ceased production and premier began making them.

Nice piece!!

The lifer depends on the wind. Something with a  stable, high flight angle works best. I suggest our Fled.

Line length depends on how many poppers you want to send up. (Takes time to open each.) I suggest 150-200.

Hope that helps!

David
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:25 AM »

These?

Kite Poppers

Have to check with Steve here at GWTW/Chico Kites on availability, last I heard they were getting scarce, maybe Premier has made more though.

BTW that is Steve launching them, loads of fun
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:30 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikeb

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18 AM »

Yes like in the video, I saw a place that sells fled and suggests 170# 500' dacron line. Would heavier line be needed for say 4 popping kites. And are there other type kites that have a "high line angle" like the fled or is that about it?
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36 AM »

the poppers are not actually kites,  they are what we call line climbers.....that170# line should be perfect.....one thing with those poppers: the line goes through the rod in the center of them, so consider a dedicated line for them as they are not something you can se up and use in 30seconds....but if take the time and set the line up with those strung on the line at night then you can just attach the line and get going with it.....

you can use any single line kite you want. ...a genki also has a very high angle in flight as do most deltas too.   if you use these poppers on a high angle kite they rise up the line sort of slowly, but come screaming back down.....if you use a kite that has a lower flight angle the poppers will rise faster but come back down slower. ...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:41 AM »

btw: if you get some DO NOT try to catch them as they slide down the line to you......they can cause you some damage and pain when they run into your knuckles!   i heard the trick was to give the line a good jiggle as they get close to the ground to stop the poppers momentum....

mikeb

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:03 AM »

Not knowing kites of high angle or low angle a kite that just stays in the sky without moving too much should be good I guess, yes when i saw a guy using these climbing poppers he jiggled the line right at the end and explained about busting knuckles, so would a rokkaku kites work good for this type of flying with a high or medium angle?
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:24 AM »

You can tell the difference as the original line poppers were all one color. The Premiers were different colors. I've only ever seen one person with the originals and that is Gary Resnick in Florida. The design and construction of these was top of the line with Teflon parts, etc. The _huge_ problem with the Premier versions is that  they were built to self destruct. Premier capped the carbon tube with a mushroom shaped cap. This helped the tube split open when the poppers collided.

I have about 5 of them. I ended up placing a metal ring around the end of the tube to stop the splitting of the tube. The other issue with the Premier version is sail tension. It needs to be just right for the poppers to stay open and for them to close up when they collide.

I've attached two pictures... one of the original single color poppers and one of my modified tube.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mikeb

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:58 AM »

Both pictures answered some questions, I see a Rokkaku kite is used in the first picture. I can see even with the metal cap they can still distruct but they can't be too heavy either, weight might bring down the whole thing or they might not climb at all.
tcope

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54 AM »

A Rok worked well as it could be set for the correct angle depending on the force of the wind. Too much angle and the poppers were pushed against the line too much.

The originals has a Teflon cap over the tip of the tube. Really heavy duty stuff.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
mikeb

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:30 AM »

Here's an update folks, I bought 5 poppers, a gomberg zenith delta, 2 delta conynes and a radian delta,,

What I don't have yet is string, winders, ancors and whatever else it takes to fly these kites, I plan on flying them mostly in my yard so I won't need sand bag ancors, I see some lines are dacron some are waxed some are white some are black, I'll take all the help and ideas you guys can pass along to me..
tcope

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53 AM »

First bit of advice... call it line, not string.  Wink

Braided Dacron is good. 200lbs is good for most wind conditions but you could also go with 100lbs for lower winds. Not waxed. White... black, blue, green... it does not matter what color... it's just.... color.

I use dog stakes in ground with grass. Easy and they hold good. The kind that corkscrew into the ground. Don't use the ring on them... tie off to the upper triangle handle. I make a loop out of the line, twist it several times and slide it into the stake. I do this three times so it's secure. When you are done, just slide it off the open end of the handle just like you put it on.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
thief

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06 AM »

DEF go with the braided dacron....the poppers will be abrasive to the line....just the act of these sliding up and down the line will create friction and will shorten the life of the line...depending on how much you use it i would make sure to flip flop the ends of the line every few months....

anchor: if you are in an area where there are benches, lamp posts, trees, fence posts, railings and things like that you can easily get a 6' piece of 1/3" rope and tie a loop on one end and a knot on the other...then when you want to fly pass the anchor line around the object and put the knot end through the loop...then larkshead the flying line to the anchor line behind the knot.....i use this all the time....
you can even use a car as an anchor this way too...just pass the anchor line around the tire where the tire touches the ground you do not want the anchor line to slide upwards into the brake assembly....http://www.gombergkites.com/update/492.html

Larkshead knot info on gombergkites.com https://www.gkites.com/howtofly/Larkshead.html

mikeb

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Ok guys, don't mind me, I might have 1000 questions. if I buy 500' of line braided dacron, should I not cut it and just use what line I want and when I'm done just roll it back on the spool, if it is waxed braided line wouldn't there be less friction? After all I wax my car and the finish is slippery.
tcope

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 07:56 AM »

If you cut the 500' line, what are you going to use the other section for? I can understand cutting it so that it's more manageable. Winding it back onto a cardboard tube is not going to work. At some point loose wraps are going to come off and you are going to end up with a tangled mess. if going with less then 500', I'd recommend 300'. It's a good all around length. You could get away with 250' in most cases but for popper line, you may want more. The more poppers you have, the more line you will need. Gary Resnick has a set of the original poppers. He has a set amount of seconds he counts out when launching each one as it's better that they maintain the same distance from each other. Five or Six poppers is going to easily cover 50' of line. You don't want to be launching the last ones just to have them start coming down a couple of seconds later.

I'd recommend a spool winder. Just remember to let it spool off the winder the same way you wound it. Otherwise the line will develop twists.

No  less friction on waxed line to speak of and it's not going to make a bit of difference. Yes, wax makes you car paint slick.... so leave it on your car. Smiley

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change