GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carolina Kite Festival 2011 (Atlantic Beach, NC)  (Read 803 times)
timothymcmackin
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: October 31, 2011, 03:51 PM »

Hi all! I'm just back from my first kite festival: Carolina Kite Festival in Atlantic City, NC. I'm not much of a photographer, but here are a few pictures: CKF 2011 on Flickr. I also took a quick video of us flying from the guard tower:
Flying from the guard tower

The event was sponsored by the friendly folks at Kites Unlimited, who helped me pick out some gear and parts and answered a lot of questions from our contingent of flyers from Raleigh-Durham.

Rain was forecast for all day saturday, but by some miracle it never showed up and we had pleasant (just slightly chilly) fall weather most of the day friday, saturday, and sunday. There were no official festivities on friday, but when we got to Atlantic Beach, the wind was blowing, so we jumped right out of the car and got to it. The sun showed up on sunday and that drew all kinds of people out; I heard lots of people saying "I've never seen anything like this before!" The wind was a solid 15mph, even as high as 20 at times, and though it was blowing from the shore to the water all weekend, the lay of the land made that wind condition tolerable for most flying. We had some good demos, kids' kite making, several illuminated night kites, and of course a bunch of huge SLKs.

That strong wind made things interesting, especially as our group normally flies inland and isn't used to big wind. We did some minor damage to a good single-line kite, broke a few parts, and (thanks to a chain reaction kite problem) destroyed the sail on a flyer's favorite special edition Rev B-series.

This event is usually at a hotel, but it was damaged by the recent hurricane, so this year everything happened at the main public beach access. IMHO, that worked out great because there was lots more room and it attracted a lot of walk-up attention because the kites were more visible around the area. I'm just going to suggest that they find a way to limit cars on the beach next year. It wasn't safe having so many people drive up and down the beach all day long with so many people and kites in the way.

I'm looking forward to Wrightsville beach next week. Hope to see some of you there.

-Tim
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:52 PM by timothymcmackin » Logged
gray
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 04:49 PM »

Congrats on making it to your first kite festival and thanks for sharing the photos. See you Wrightsville Beach.
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41 AM »

Okay, your video just solved a mystery.  I stopped by the beach on my way home from the Friday workshop and saw your kites but didn't see enough flyers.  You were hidden from me in the parking lot.

Driving on the beach is limited to only six months per year and only by permit.  We cannot legally stop them from driving if they have a permit.  All beach-goers in the off-season have to watch for the vehicles.  Thankfully, most of the drivers are pretty responsible and try to watch out for others, too.  Unfortunately, kite lines aren't so visible so we must make adjustments.  Just another day flying at the beach.

Glad you had a good time.

kjm

CaptainWOW
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:54 AM »

Another video from the weekend  Cool

What is the Carolina Kite Fest?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change