GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radian specs  (Read 1273 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« on: November 02, 2011, 10:38 PM »

Hi all,

I've searched the forum and haven't seen this covered yet, so figured I would post.  I recently picked up a Radian, and am wondering does anyone have the measurements for the LE APA stoppers?  Specifically the lower spreader APA stoppers, but the uppers would be nice as well for verification purposes.  Mine have slid around a bit and I'd like to glue them back down where they should be.

Also, I'm not completely sure but it looks like the Upper Spreader "T" was moved down on mine for some reason, see photo for details.  It has a large Tedlar patch and new hole cut right below the original.  Not sure why that was done -- I measured my US and it's the correct length of 25.75" so who knows.  Was this perhaps done at Prism for some reason?  Also has a questionable patch job on the upper left part of the sail, but hey it was a good deal so I guess I can't complain.  Wink

thanks,
  Mike

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:50 PM by Smeagol » Logged
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54 PM »

Mike,

Nice kite you have. For the Upper T, do you see sign of wear on the new position?and how about the old one? If there is some signs of wear then it has been moved to avoid more damages to the sail.
For the stoppers, the best solution will be placing everything in place and tension the sail. move the APA to the right place and with a pencil (it marks nice on carbon rods) marks where the stopper will be positioned.
Please note that upper and lower stoppers don;t have same setup.
Lower will be (from wing tips) - Stopper-bridle-APA
Upper will be (from nose) - Bridle-APA-stopper
Just mark it just 5mm from the end of the sail for it to have some move between the stopper and sail. or you can just put two stoppers on both. Up and down the APA.
Hope this help you.

For the second pacth, seems like a repair on the sail. perhaps too long and large for some tedlar tape where sewing it back was required.

Nice winds to you

B-13

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:40 PM »

Thanks B.

No I don't see any signs of wear on the upper T hole, that's the odd part.  It's about 1.25" lower center to center than the original.

Yes the 2nd patch is a repair on the sail, looks like a spreader puncture or rip.  It's 4" long so perhaps tedlar tape wouldn't work in that situation.

-Mike
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:23 AM »

This was Brian Todd's Radian.
Photo from 2002.

Personally, I do not use the upper center-T on any kite that has one. The kite does not need the extra rigidity that it provides. But more importantly, if there is a crash taken mostly on the nose, the upper spreader can come out of the upper spreader connector on one side and (since the US is held against the kite by the upper center-T) poke a hole in the sail near the leading edge connector cutout. I have personally done it to one of Uly's kites (which Dorsal fixed). I do leave the upper center-T on the kite for historical accuracy, but I just let it come along for the ride. These kites aren't ones I use for practicing tricks anyway, so balance is not crucial.

Hopefully, if you look at the photo full size, you may be able to figure out where parts are located. If anyone had the parts in the correct place, it would have been Brian.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02 AM »

Thanks John, nice photos.

Looks like that's what might have happened previously on this one.  Manual says to only use the US in 10+ winds anyway.

thanks,
  Mike

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10 PM »

This was Brian Todd's Radian...
If anyone had the parts in the correct place, it would have been Brian.  Smiley

I didn't know Brian personally but I do know he was an exuberant & respected tinkerer, maybe this should read "If anyone had the right setup it would've been Brian"

Wink
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:11 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53 PM »

Thanks Mike.

Your wording seems much closer to the truth than mine.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:23 AM »

I have 2 radians both in great shape, I can say they are like new, one was unflown with still the factory tag on it. If you just have a little patience I'll check the measurements you need and post them  Smiley
Here a couple of pics, maybe looking at them you could start to figure out where fittings are to be set.

Paolo

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:28 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:46 PM »

Thanks Svolazzo, that would be great.  If you could also measure the spine length on yours I'd really appreciate it.  I suspect the spine on mine was replaced at some point in the past which would explain the upper T hole being relocated.  The bottom T is really close to the bottom edge of the oval cutout, basically touches the material at the edge.

thanks,
  Mike
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 04:08 PM »

Forget the kite, I want that beach! Cheesy

Sine Metu!
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 11:36 AM »

Here is the paint.net file with the Radian specs you were looking for. If you need more let me know  Wink

Paolo

Smeagol

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Thanks Svolazzo!

Do you happen to have the overall ULE/LLE lengths?  Or anyone else for that matter.

Sorry to bump this aged thread.

thanks,
  Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document