GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex, my first kite build!  (Read 13935 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48 PM »

Pretty much all my kites except my early ones that had a sharp cut at the inner SO  have that wrinkle.
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2011, 06:09 PM »

Well I have to say, I'm glad this wrinkle is normal! I feel a lot better about this build now. I was concerned I had messed up somewhere.
OK, if all goes well, I should get the last two build sections up later tonight or tomorrow. BTW, IT'S FINISHED!  Grin
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 06:13 PM »

Well I have to say, I'm glad this wrinkle is normal! I feel a lot better about this build now. I was concerned I had messed up somewhere.
OK, if all goes well, I should get the last two build sections up later tonight or tomorrow. BTW, IT'S FINISHED!  Grin
Color choice Tongue  Just kidding.  Looks like you did good for your first build.  Flying it will tell if you really messed something up.
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50 PM »

I am not going to go into great detail on the building of the bridle. Sugarbaker did a phenomenal job with this in his "B'zar 2011 build thread".
I will try to give just details that are convenient to have to make a bridle for the Vortex. I've already covered the Up/Down haul lines. that only leaves the in-haul and keeper.

The keeper is so simple! It attaches at each end on the associated line at the distances indicated on the plans with a sheet bend. Each sheet bend adds 1cm of line to the overall length of the keeper line. So, I cut two keepers at 24cm in length.

This just leaves the in-haul. part of this line is actually an attachment to the center-T. In Sugarbakers thread, he covers this really well. Mine is a little bit simpler as I set it up to attach to the spine below the T, wrapped around the stopper ring.
Here are a couple pictures of how I created the center-T anchor.

I then moved to the opposite end where the in-haul attaches to the out-hauls. I started by folding a 7cm loop and tying it off with an overhand knot. I then attached it to the "out-haul" anchor (nail) with a pursik knot.

The Vortex uses a Turbo bridle with a 5cm "turbo" leg. Once the pursik is attached, Mark the line 5cm from the anchor. Now measure out 20cm of line from the mark. Fold the line in half and tie an overhand to create a "pigtail" for the fly lines to attach to at the mark. Don't forget the little overhand knot at the end of the pigtail. This picture is actually of the completed two lines. Notice that the knot creating the original loop is not in exactly the same position. That is not crucial. What is crucial is where the knot for the turbo is and the knot on the pigtail. Both need to be in identical positions on the pair of lines.

Now that the turbo is created, measure and additional 64.5cm and mark the line. Then measure from the turbo knot 76.5cm and cut the line there. Now fold the line at the 64.5cm mark and tie and overhand knot, forming a loop with the 64.5cm mark at the center. This will be used to attach the in-haul to the center-t pigtails on the middle knot.
Here is what it should look like if everything works out.

Now to the stand-offs. The plans clearly state that they need to be 25cm and 26cm from the sail to spreader. This is inclusive of all fittings and caps. The process I used to figure out how long the 3mm rods needed to be was as follows.
I first needed to determine how much extra length each component added to the overall length of the stand-off. I began by placing a piece of blue tape at a known distance from the end of the rod.

I then added the component to the end of the rod and noted how far the tape had moved. For instance, the Jaco connector adds 6mm.

I repeated this process with the Vinyl end cap and the APA stand-off connector for the spreader. The total added by these pieces was 11mm. So I then cut each stand-off to the appropriate length. Ex. 26cm standoff was cut to 249mm.
Once each was cut, I assembled the stand-offs and verified the final length of each for accuracy. Here is a "25cm" stand-off. Note that the measurement needed to be from where the Jaco fitting sits on the sail.

Now just attach the bridal and mount the stand-offs.
The last little detail to finish the Vortex is to place a "Moonie Tape" rub patch behind the upper spreader on the sail at the point where it crosses the spine.

Thank You all so much for following this thread. It has been a lot of fun!
I hope many of you will post your projects here when finished.
If you find errors, please let me know. I will do what I can to fix them quickly!

Here is one lat picture for your enjoyment.

AKA_MrBill

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50 PM »

I forgot to mention, every picture in this thread can be viewed up to full resolution at http://billbo911.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Kite-Building/Vortex-Nov-2011/19922633_msdvzM.
While you are there, feel free to browse my other galleries, all of my "Eye Candy" is scattered there as well.
Magma
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2011, 07:04 AM »

Yes it's normal with this type of fabrication around the T center. The same thing for mine .

Nice work . And enjoy yourself. Vortex is a good machine.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:06 AM by Magma » Logged
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2011, 01:04 PM »

Great thread!

Regarding saws, I was really close to getting one of those expensive arrow saws until one day I tried out my cheapo Harbor Freight 6" Cut-Off saw (around $30 I think?).  It has worked perfectly so far on pultruded rod & Revolution wrapped rod.  I'm using the 6" cut-off wheels for metal, which I wasn't really sure about at first but they work great.  You do have to be careful and take into account the blade width when making your cut, but the cuts I've made so far were very clean.

-Mike
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2011, 01:56 PM »

Great postings indeed  Smiley !!!

I just about to finish my Vortex!

To cut my spars I tried a wet tile saw that has a 4 1/2" diamond cutting blade and it worked great too!.

Cheers
Mario

Lex B

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Hey!
Your ready..
Does this mean it's OVER?Huh
What should I read now?

It was a pleasure reading you MrBill ;-)

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Hey!
Your ready..
Does this mean it's OVER?Huh
What should I read now?

It was a pleasure reading you MrBill ;-)
Yep, this build is complete.  Cry

Although, I will be building a P2 very soon. I doubt I will be doing a build thread on that one because Sugarbaker is doing that already. If I do find that I am doing something significantly different, I'll either add it to his thread, or do a short thread about my mods only.
coogee

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2011, 06:52 PM »

Hi
     are you going to post a shot of the kite flying?
     Mike
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2011, 07:18 PM »

Hi
     are you going to post a shot of the kite flying?
     Mike

Does the sun rise in the east?  Tongue

Absolutely! I just need some wind, oh, and some time.
mdilucca

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02 PM »

This is my first dual build too!!!

Thanks a lot for your tips  Smiley

Cheers
Mario

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

Cheers
Mario

AKA_MrBill

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19 PM »

That looks like it came out really nice!

I can't wait to get mine in the air. I just haven't had the time, nor proper wind.

Has your's been up yet?
mdilucca

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33 PM »

Thank you Smiley I can't wait to fly it this coming weekend!! Grin

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography