GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of Questions  (Read 1126 times)
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: November 06, 2011, 02:07 PM »

1. What is best lines to use for Revs? I prefer 90lb  line.

2. Handle mods that work or which handles? Long or standard or?

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:17 AM »

I prefer either Liros DC40 or PowerPro Hollow Ace 80lbs.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:31 AM »

we (in the land of no wind/DC metro area) use 50# Skybond (100 to 120 feet in length) quite frequently.  For throwing a kite around 3-D style it's tough to beat 90# LaserPro Gold, . . . although the 100# Skybond is significantly more slippery and sports a thinner overall diameter.  LPG is like flying on wire, it has a very high modulus compared to other brands.

quad handles?  that is a purely personal selection!  Do you like some mass or want it light as a feather?  Do you want to flick-'em around all day or fly your kite precisely, all smooth & graceful?  do you normally have high wind or seldom any at all?

Honestly?, given the opportunity you should try a bunch of different handle models out and see what you prefer.  I'm after a set of Mike Van Meers' wooden handles myself!  I've had Ashworth's wood/carbon tube combo-solution, aluminum tubes and solid rods, steel tubes, carbon fibre wraps over aluminum tubes, formed, drilled plexiglass and even a custom set of 19" titanium tubes.  My shortest set is maybe 8 inches across the gap, my longest set almost 17" between the two attachment points.  In low wind, some folks like the indoor Rev handles too, but not if you intend to flail aggressively.

I add length & lessen mass in proportion to the wind speed, when selecting handles for the day.

Long and light (no wind-outside, Ti handles 17")
short and obese (high wind/no-snags 13")
long and massive (3D flying- outside/no snags 15" or 17")
shortest & lightest (indoor),
      so the kite can "carry-away the handles" if dropped from a glide, 1/4" dia. aluminum tube, 8"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document