GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite identification  (Read 1459 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: November 18, 2011, 04:38 AM »

Hi oldtimers fans !

Who knows this kite ?

- Wingspan 210 cm (82.5")

- High : 110 cm (43")

- Frame : carbon .2100

The panels look like some Skynasaur kites and the typical bridle (near the center) too. But it's not a Tracer (96" wingspan), a Tracker or a Trixter (74" wingspan)...

Thanks in advance for your help.  Wink

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:32 AM by Tataouine » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19 PM »

IIRc skynasaur had there name on all there kites.  At least all mine did. ONly ones I can think of that didn't mark all their kites are Aerie and Marty Sasaki but I'm sure there are others.  ANything at all on the kite for markings or tags?  THose specs point toward a UL or indoor kite it seems.
Ca Ike

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:32 PM »

AFter a bit of searching I think that would be a skynasaur tracer.  I found mention of a 3/4 tracer that fell around 82 inch span.
Michel

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:51 PM »

AFter a bit of searching I think that would be a skynasaur tracer.  I found mention of a 3/4 tracer that fell around 82 inch span.

Not sure...

The Tracer's panels are different.

Ca Ike

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 10:30 PM »

Yea but the overall design is the same.  Often the 3/4 versions had the same panel lines just less panels.
Michel

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:39 PM »

Yea but the overall design is the same.  Often the 3/4 versions had the same panel lines just less panels.

OK but I don't understand very well : 96" x 3/4 = 72 ", not 82" ?  Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:48 PM »

If you go by approximate surface area of the kites, you would use the square of the ratio of the wingspans:

For example:

(82/96)*(82/96) = 73% which is almost 3/4 (75%)

Just a thought.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:59 PM »

If you go by approximate surface area of the kites, you would use the square of the ratio of the wingspans:

For example:

(82/96)*(82/96) = 73% which is almost 3/4 (75%)

Just a thought.  Smiley
I believe thats how they figure it too John. Makes more send to go by sail area than wing span cause when you scale down you scale all the dimentions not just one but Ian, JW or one of the other designers can say better than I can.

Noe if you take the pic of the tracer you posted Tat, make the white panel blue and the bottom panel purple you have the same layout as yours and that was common on scaled down versions.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 02:28 AM »

Don't think its a scaled down one.
the trailing edge is different. and if you combine the panels just into two its orientation is different in the sail. Meets the leading edge below the bottom spreader while combining them would let it meet the leading edge above the bottom spreader.
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 02:45 AM »

If you scale everything then they don't necesarily fall in the same place but all that aside I would say from a few of the features i can see that are similar to his others, its probably one of Bob CHilds designs and at least takes a few ques from the tracer.  THe frame is all wrong for it to be a trixter since those had the spreaders t'd to the end of the spine and a straight TE across the keel.

THeif and Magepiefooty know a lot about these older kites maybe they will chime in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:04 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 04:42 AM »

I am racking my brain on this one but am not able to come up with it. ..........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
eolemag
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:02 AM »

Hi tataouine

Maybe, kite of Sirocco, kite maker in Paris in nineteens , But I am not sure.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:36 AM »

It's not a new phenomena that some obscure or less well know kite manufacturer produces a kite that is highly "Inspired" by a well known design. I saw that trailing edge difference between it and the Skynasaurs right off so I put it into that category. We have a kite in our bag that will be forever known as "The Jeff Kite" because Jeff gave it to us and it has no markings, it's a fine kite none the less.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 02:39 PM »

Well even the known makers didn't mark them either. My original Marty Sasaki Katana isn't marked either but even if it was marked Time can remove it.  I know I've seen that panel design before and Bob Child's kites were made by companies other than Skynasaur.  CHrystal kites also borrowed his designs i think some of the GFAK kites also used his designs.  THe whiskers, tail patch, panel layout and overall shape make me think it might be one of his aerobat versions and that went through at least 4 versions the last being the A3.  LAter versions of the aerobat did borrow from his Tracer design so this could be an A2 or A3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum