GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Best Flying thus far..540's,axels,fades,Roll Up's...No Way Vert...  (Read 2367 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: November 09, 2011, 10:02 PM »

The weather keeps staying warm.  I had my best day ever.   Some very impressive stuff didnot get recorded.  i am very disappointed.  However a couplemore hours things will look great.  I have been working on roll up's for a couplemonths.  Fade to roll up.  My fade's have been lousy so [progress has been slow.  However,I have finally got there.  10% learning 90% perfecting.  I quickly learned why not to do the fade with hands in front ..No Slack can be created.   Once my brain worked that I began to understand slack.  Roll up's need S.L.A.C.K.  Generating slack is another thing. 

The Beach was mine and Solus... wind shifted as the hours progressed.  3.5 hrs. of work only wish I had more battery things at the end are real smooth.  Very end is Best... Thanks for the help..

The Solus will push you to the next level...

one.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:43 PM »

YOur progressing quite nicely Joe.  Couple of things though that I have found.  Fade control on the solus is literally fingertip control.  I use my pointer fingers on the lines to control the fade and maybe move 1/2 inch at the most.  Input for most tricks are no more than a wrist flick.

Now on your roll ups it looks like your getting there but make sure your snapping your wrists before throwing the slack so it kills the forward drive just like a back flip but with extra slack to let it nose over.  WHen doing a roll up from a fade give a little slack before the roll up input to let the nose rise slightly and you will get more momentum to get the kite around.

AS always keep working on those basic tricks.  SLides, stalls and transitions to fades tend to be forgotten when working on more advanced tricks.
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Thanks...  I needed to hear about the wrist... Norm told me before and I have forgotten.  I kept searching for the missing key.  Wrist back on Fade's also Huh Yep !!!  Been bugging me for weeks to figure out the little movement to get that extra stall.... I kept watching when my arms go back etc.etc.etc. Wrist back music to my ears.  Wind insane today...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:21 PM »

Thanks...  I needed to hear about the wrist... Norm told me before and I have forgotten.  I kept searching for the missing key.  Wrist back on Fade's also Huh Yep !!!  Been bugging me for weeks to figure out the little movement to get that extra stall.... I kept watching when my arms go back etc.etc.etc. Wrist back music to my ears.  Wind insane today...
  Think of your arms as the lash of a bull whip and your wrists the last few inches of the tip of the lash.  THe crack doesn't come from the 6 feet of lash moving  but the "snap" of the last few inches as you pull back.  Its the same principal for trick inputs as your arm controls the line tension as you prep for the trick and your wrist snap creates the pop you get as you enter the trick giving that split second stall before the kite transitions. 

Cock your wrist forward as you pull back and when you reach the end of your pull snap your wrists just before throwing your arms forward for the slack.  For back flips, flares and roll ups its the same motion just a bit more aggressive for the roll up.  For fade control its a very slow, deliberate, often small motion alternating sides depending on the kites position.  For axels, 540's and the variations its a fast, often short motion with one arm.  For the comete is a very fast, short motion with different intensity alternating sides(which is really hard to time right as your learning).
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22 PM »

It's 12:01 a.m. So that makes it Veterans day..the day after my birthday. Grin.  But being a Vet is something I am proud of.  I haven't mentioned this but I was flying my kite a bunch of years ago in Asia.  Well the people got upset and shot our kites down.  I kinda of got hurt a bit.  My left arm has been repaired sort of. Dis-located muscle repair.  On my left hand I can not feel with my index finger.  ( but I have bench pressed 310 lbs.) My thumb and inside hand are numb.  Actually it is why my rt. 540's took so long.  When I do them it's like doing it blindfolded.  I had to re-think a why to respond as my right arm extends out.  As it turned out works better becuase I don't use  much motion.  But created a lot of pain trying to learn. However once my brain figured out I was able to do it pain free.  (most of the time.)   But I can't feel the lines.  I just tried the other day again don't work.   (TMI sorry.) Lips sealed

The wrist thing is so important.  I have been looking for that in the Fade's.  In the turtle's..Little-Creep-O taught me how to create slack, knew there was a trick way in the fade's even the roll up's Norm told me about it.  My brain just couldn't pull info. 

Windy and cold today.  Actually snowed .  White on the ground.  Very early.  Temps. going to the 60's in next few days.  If so.  I am flying till I drop. 

The roll up's are a Real Rush.  I rolled up twice and hit it as it spun around in a turtle. It unwrapped once.  I hit it again it spun and then unwrapped again.  My heart is still on the Beach watching it roll. No video. ( so it didn't happen).

I need about five more hours.  Should take care of Roll up's and French Roll up's out of fade.  As always I appreciate input.   Wink 

P.S.- at .36-.40 I through my arms out like a turtle but the kite does a roll over.  What is that ? also is a slot machine a 540 going horizonal Huh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:26 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about your injury but I'm sure you can find another way to "feel" the lines.  COntroling the fade is all about managing tension and adding just enough to the correct line to bring it back flat when it starts to go cockeyed.  From what I see your not doing bad and if using wrist movement instead of finger tip movement works for you by all means keep it up.  Combine that with stepping forward and back to maintain altitude and your golden.

YOur "slot machine" at 36-40 is not really a slot machine.  WHat you found is an axel variation and though sloppy its what was called an over easy.  Check out :34-:37 in this vid and you'll see how close what you did is.  YOU hit the turn and gave slack at just the right time to get it to axel even though it was unintentional.  The pull for the turn was close enough to an axel input that you actually got a sloppy axel Smiley  NOw you have another trick to work on lol 
Prism Trick Show
vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:21 AM »

Hi Norm yes I need the video's please....

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:04 PM »

I am behind the times on tricking but if I may ... what is "French Roll-Up/French Flic-Flak"?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:23 PM »

I Flew for a couple hours. Before rain.  I had to fly Sul for about hr.  Then WM ul.  Let's stay with French Roll up's since I did one today... Grin .  Also want to learn flik flak's... Wink Then the winds died again.  Just started to get it.  But tryingin 2-3 mph didn't help.  But Progress did show it's face.  Maybe I can get it before the bitter cold... Little Creep-O is returning for Thanksgiving Break... Maybe I can have it down by then.  The Little Creep called me yesterday crying Cry about his Sociology paper due soon.  "...What's Globalization ?...","...What about the American Industrial Revolution's role in Socialization of urban society...".  Yea !!!  I am answering his Soc questions and I am out here begging for fungo's regarding my flying questions.  Roll Eyes The kids got guts.    Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed  I told him to drop out.  But No he wants to be an educated flyer.  There are many questions he could be answering right here on line.  Well since I taught Sociology in College I gave the little Creep the .............Wrong Answer's. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  he trusted me  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Wait till I do his Psychology paper .............  They'll toss him right out of school and back to the kite fields.  He'll be under watch but at least he'll be back.   Cool Cool Cool
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:30 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 04:07 PM »

I am behind the times on tricking but if I may ... what is "French Roll-Up/French Flic-Flak"?
I'm going to assume this is the over rotated flic flac that everyone is doing lately.  Personally I prefer a clean flic flac to the over rotated one.
Danno419

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:36 AM »

I'm going to assume this is the over rotated flic flac that everyone is doing lately.  Personally I prefer a clean flic flac to the over rotated one.
Yes, that's the one. I don't know about everyone doing lately, I've been doing them for at least 5 or 6 years after I learned the more common Flic Flac. Of course doing them and making them look clean and smooth are two different things. Right now, I'm lucky just to be doing them.  Wink

Is this the over rotated flickflac that ends up nose down, flare, then unroll?
I have trouble getting my talon ul to rotate enough to end up nose down.  Lips sealed

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
vertigo2u

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53 PM »

Got it thanks. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document