GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washing Sail  (Read 3567 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 13, 2011, 08:15 AM »

Hello all,
I recently received my Nexus (for the girlfriend but will be more in my kite bag)
Noticed that when the sail is new, it's crisp and more rigid where as my hypno who is some months old is more soft feel and less crisp but remember it was like the Nexus before. Wondering if this is a deterioration of the sail itself or is normal after some use. Also i fly at the beach and wash my kites with fresh water everytime to get rid of the salt water and sand on them. Is this a bad practice?
On the other side, my new Zephyr is more crisp and smells brand new..wondering if i should wash them so often to avoid this..

Thanks

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:40 AM »

Wondering if this is a deterioration of the sail itself or is normal after some use.
This is perfectly normal. General creasing and wrinkling is to be expected. Remember that different fabrics (nylon, polyester, mylar) will feel and age differently too.

Also i fly at the beach and wash my kites with fresh water everytime to get rid of the salt water and sand on them. Is this a bad practice?
This is excellent practice. Getting salt water and general dirt 'n' grime off of the sail is always a good move but take care not to scrub the fabric as you run the risk of inflicting the sort of damage you're trying to avoid.

It's also a good move to make sure the fittings and bridle lines have any sand/grit removed from them too.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
B-13

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:52 AM »

thanks for the prompt reply. However i just give them a good water flow for several minutes with fresh water and let the water flow through the nose re enforcement and the LE pockets to get rid of any dirt. The bridle lines and fittings are washed too. I do not rub the sail as i wash the kites assembled and let them dry al night long..some times all weeks in the room, not in the sun.
Glad to hear this is normal for the sails to change in crispness with some time.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:06 AM »

A lot of beach fliers carry a paint brush to "brush off" the sand before packing up

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

B-13

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Kiteking, this is indeed a good method. Never thought of this before. But sometimes, after an unplanned dive in the water or some landings near the sea, the fabric will pickup little sand particles. The sail will get rid of them automatically as it dries but the nose, tail and LE fabrics will keep some moisture and pickup sands on landings. Will definitely bring a brush with me next time but washing will get rid of any salt crystal formed on the fabric.

King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:40 PM »

My Wife sometimes gets a little jealous when I shower with mine Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
B-13

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13 PM »

So you all noticed that with some time, the sail loose its crispness and tends to become more soft?
So this is normal and not from washing it up everytime from the beach

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16 AM »

Yeah, that's normal, even beneficial. That crispness and stiffness isn't necessarily a property that we choose these fabrics for. I'm not a Rev/Quad flier but I've seen it stated in the quad area that a Rev with 20-50 hours use is a better flying kite then a fresh one. As the fabric softens it can form a smoother shape under pressure. Today the coatings that give that crispness have been researched and refined over many years, they soften some but it takes years of use before that breakdown negatively effects the properties that we do want in our kites.

It's not damaged or worn, just experienced, and better for it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
johnfarl

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:00 PM »

I was told by no other than Mr Hoac to wipe my kite down with hair conditioner after washing it.  I think it provides some UV protection plus makes the sail crisp and not only that it shines with a luster.  It seems to work.  I usually use a mild hair shampoo during the washing. 

Skip the hair dryer and curlers though.

John
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 01:46 PM »

I was told by no other than Mr Hoac to wipe my kite down with hair conditioner after washing it. 

That's pretty weird. 

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45 PM »

I agree Allen. You wouldn't want to get any of the hair conditioner in the eyes.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06 PM »

I agree Allen. You wouldn't want to get any of the hair conditioner in the eyes.  Smiley

I disagree................It isn't conditioner that bothers the eyes........it's the shampoo......unless, of course, one uses  'no tears' "BABY" Shampoo........I recommend Johnson and Johnson   Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43 PM »

dry or normal hair? extra body?

have fun kurt
B-13

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43 PM »

You guys are the craziest fliers ever met!
Does this hair conditioner thing really works? i have an old Paimpol kite and willing to test this on it? How do you apply it?
NO NO NO i'm not joining the crazy team you are, only testing your weird solution  Cheesy

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02 PM »

Never tried it, although I have showered quite a few.  I've been told that it brings back that new sail 'krinkle' if you know what I mean.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change