GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 08:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washing Sail  (Read 3416 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25 PM »

Never tried it, although I have showered quite a few.  I've been told that it brings back that new sail 'krinkle' if you know what I mean.

i don't bother about the crinkle on the sail and don't want them back as they can damage the laminate on the sail itself when packing. Just the stiffness and crispness as it was new. Will have some try out on an old kite and revert back...after the disaster  Cheesy

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 05:15 PM »

Applying hair conditioner
Wash kite first then take a bottle of conditioner and wipe it the kite down with a rag soaked in conditioner.  Leave the kite with us and ls in but not standoffs to dry.

John
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 05:32 PM »

I'm game - he has only given me good advice so far!  Smiley

6 kite tom
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:01 PM »

Ok I'll bite, what it's putting conditioner on it suppose to do? The it dries on there?

Sine Metu!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:23 PM »

303 it has GREAT uv inhibitors,anti static properties does not get sticky and leaves a satin not shiny look I have been using this product for years in a marine environment on all types of surfaces (even kites lol)

have fun kurt
johnfarl

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:04 PM »

Yeah but does 303  give full body crispness??
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 08:14 PM »

Tell us more about the hair conditioner  Grin
The 303 is somewhat difficult for me to find, and for some of us too, but stealing some hair conditioner from the wife stock is easier, if not more risky  Cheesy

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
ko

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Yeah but does 303  give full body crispness??
not really more along the lines of dry to normal kite conditioning

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56 AM »

No extra body? Shocked

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22 AM »

after reading the info on the back of the bottle ,sadly,NO, no extra body.I guess i will look into the Pantene line, although now i am worried that my kites are no longer "all that they can be" as a result of my negligence and ignorance
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:24 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 07:34 AM »

303 came into kiting via the ballooners, they were using it to recondition their fabrics and reporting it helped decrease the porosity of the fabrics. One of the members over on kitebuilder did some unscientific tests with it (I think it was Kiteguy also on this forum) and reported the first application did seem to add some body and decrease porosity. Using our typical logic that if some is good more would be better he tested a second application and did not perceive any additional benefits. As I recall he also said it did deepen and brighten the colors. I bought some after that for the waterproofing but it doesn't seem to do anything for that, my hat still soaked up water like a sponge. It does however work well on my pool liner and I like it better then other brands on my cars.

Kent over at Wind of Change Kites (link on the right) suggested another treatment being used by the power kiters on their foils. I believe it comes from the backpacking community for use on tent fabrics but I can't recall the name. It was a treatment to be used in a washing machine though which isn't so easy on our framed kites. Maybe he'll pop in or give him a call, it sounded real promising as long as it could be wiped on and rinsed off for us.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:36 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikeb

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26 AM »

I would use McLube SAILKOTE.
ko

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 05:27 PM »

303's water treatment is called Fabric Guard. its ok but the higher end water proofing products all seem about the same to me. 303 does deepen the color i don't use the fabric guard for 2 reasons #1 i dont fly in the rain and #2 I don't use my kites for rain apparel

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document