GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 09:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting but not from zero... Nexus vs Hypnotist  (Read 2334 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 15, 2011, 12:07 PM »

Hi!

I'm new to this exciting world of kiting.
I am waiting for a new Nexus to arrive to start flying. Because of reasons that are too long to explain it has not yet arrived and the store has lent me an (used) Eolo Samurai which I've flown about 4 times in minimum wind conditions (not only delivery but also weather seems to be against me...)   Sad
Nevertheless, I can now turn well with combination (push-pull) turns, interior and exterior turns, I can more or less stall the kite well, I can do (very ugly but complete) Axels and I got a very nice half axel which was sheer beginner's luck and have not been able to reproduce  Wink

So I've been thinking and reading and I thought maybe to skip the Nexus and go straight to a Hypnotist. I like its design Soooo much!    Grin
Some people tell me to go for a Quantum (as you can see I'm at this point quite a fan of Prism), but the Hypnotist has really stolen my heart (without even flying it!) especially the green one...  Wooooow...

So, should I wait and start with the Nexus or should I go for the Hypnotist?  Undecided
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:14 PM »

I would go for the Hypnotist myself.
I may be a bit bias though, it was my first kite.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:24 PM »

Buy the best kite you can afford in any situation.

Hypnotist over Nexus in this case.

Good luck.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:26 PM »

I started with the Nexus and within two or three weeks I ordered the Hypnotist. I'd say if you are interested in the Hypnotist, go for it over the Nexus. The wind range on it is pretty darned good and will take you pretty far. On the other hand, there's a guy I met who said if I got anything other than a Silver Fox, I was nuts-- said that the Silver Fox can do all the tricks. Another kite I've been very interested in (and got to fly for a few minutes just the other day) is the WidowMaker. Oh man, I loved that kite!

There are all kinds of threads on this subject here on the forum-- they both help you to make an informed decision and will also confuse the heck out of you. Best advice I can offer is to not worry overmuch about making a wrong decision. Just make one, then do it. Write off (in your head) the money spent, because it's not going to go to waste-- you'll learn tons from any new kite, even if you only learn the finer points of what you don't like in a kite.

Have fun!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54 PM »

The Nexus is a great beginner kite, and Prism is a great company.  But....

You will outgrow the Nexus in about a week.  It is fun to fly but very limited on what it can do, and with the very small wing size, requires much more precise wind to fly in.  The Hypnotist on the other hand is a much larger sail and it is designed for tricking.  It will do much more than the Nexus will do.  It may be a little bit tougher to get the hang of because it requires much less input and will flip much faster, but once you get it figured out you will be able to grow and learn with it for many months if not years.  I would highly recommend the Hypno over the Nexus!!!

Another benefit of the Hypnotist is that it comes packaged with the Prism Freestyle Pilot DVD, which will also help you along your journey.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:20 PM »

Wow! I went to have dinner and just on coming back I get all these great answers!
Thank you all guys/gals!!!!
Yes, I know all these answers give you a lot of insight and can confuse you a lot too (I've been reading a few kite forums lately) but it is great to hear the opinions of other people.
And from what I can see my intuition was not far from your feedback.
So now I'll have to make up my mind as madhabitz says.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:38 PM »

I would fly the Nexus that you have coming to get the basics down and then get a Silver Fox for learning tricks. 

The SF is hard to beat at its price point.  While I no longer have a SF, I find that I still enjoy flying the kite when I meet a flyer on my local field who has one.   I like the ULs.

-Tom

6 kite tom
B-13

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09 PM »

Ara, glad to hear of you here also. As i told you on the Prism Forum, the Nexus is a great kite and if it is on the way, just fly it and practice all the basics till you master them. The Nexus is a tough kite not as tough as the Quantum but this is another story with another wing size. It is a small and rapid kite and tricking is a bit harder as your inputs need to be rapid and precise. So basic landings, launches, stalls and some ground recoveries are best learnt with the little kite. Practice your snap stalls and side slides as CA Ike will tell you if he read this thread. Mastering these maneuvers will make tricking easier with another trick kite.
If the Nexus is not on the way and no ordered yet, then the Hypnotist is the way to go. A larger kite and slower in tricks will let you see what is happening and how tricks are performed. It is also a tough kite for a beginner and will take a lot of beatings but is classified as a trick kite and intended for fliers with basics mastering in the background. But learning with it is easy too.

Everyone will tell and advise you other kite brands, models, etc, and so will I but listen to your heart and your purse too  Smiley

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
dihongshao2000

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:52 PM »

I am not an expert on trick kiting as I am still learning myself.  As per my experience, a full size kite designed purposely for tricks would be the best for learning and advancing.  I started with Insync and then Silver Fox UL both by Flying Wings.  SF is more for light wind days after you learned basics.  Insync is a tough and capable kite for starters.  It also thought me how to fix a kite using most commonly available parts.  I would recommend that you buy your first kite used from a reliable source.  I bought both kites used from this Forum.  My Insync is a demo kite Steve posted on his "Bargains" and I bought my SF from "Swap Meet".  A lot of kite for less than one half of the normal price  Wink  D
dihongshao2000

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03 PM »

a couple of videos on what Insync and SF UL can do

Flying Wings - 2009 Insync

Silver Fox 2.5 UL by Flying Wings

Good luck and great wind to you  Smiley  D
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03 AM »

Thanks again to all!

Since I guess I will eventually try out many kites in my pilot history  Wink
I think I will start with the Nexus as btreize suggests and then climb from there.

I will have in mind the option of the SF for the "near" future. It looks great and everybody recommends it.

I would only like to say one thing coming from "my heart" (also as btreize says).
I have not yet seen the design and use of colour that Prism kites have in any other kites I have been looking at in all this time.
The design of the Prism kites has just stolen my heart (if this is an English expression at all... but I guess you get the meaning)
As a newbie it is currently something really important for me. Seeing the nice design flying under my control is something that really gives me a pleasurable experience. Perhaps when I become a bit more expert I will care less about design and more about other characteristics (or maybe not  Wink ).

But for the time being this difference in design is something I don't understand and perhaps someone could venture an answer.

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
B-13

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:14 AM »

So have a look at this Hypnotist video for now by the time you order it..
Prism Hypnotist @ Moran 2009

The Nexus also can trick if you know how. I managed some fades and lazy suzans with mine last time. Need to be rapid but a light wind helps a lot here
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:03 PM by btreize » Logged

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 12:33 PM »

Prism does make some very nice looking kites.  I have always loved their color choices and panel layouts.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55 PM »

Prism does make some very nice looking kites.  I have always loved their color choices and panel layouts.

While that's certainly true of many of their kites, there have also been quite a few where one would have to pause and seriously consider whether Crayola has recently released a "Circus Edition" crayon pack.   Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 09:12 AM »

The Nexus arrived yesterday!!!!!
Wahoo!

I went flying it today although wind was awfully low.
I noticed it is much more nervous than the Eolo Samurai I had been flying lately. So in the low wind I had to be much smoother in my movements.
However, it is so, so beautiful during flight!
Great finish and great design.
We will have quite a bit of rain in the next few days so I'm afraid I will not be able to test it further until weather changes...   Sad
Hope I don't have to wait for too long.
Thanks all for your support!

N.

P.S. The kite actually took 5 whole weeks to arrive. It seemed as though it had gone around the world to get to Barcelona when it actually only came from France... crazy!   Huh

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change