GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many pounds pull by a 1.5 Rev? (Heart Surgery Precautions)  (Read 2110 times)
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: November 16, 2011, 06:26 PM »

I've been given precautions due to my sternum being wired together following heart surgery. I'm guessing others here have had the same surgery and might have some words of wisdom to share. I know the pull depends on the wind and increases as I stop the kite. Any idea how hard a 1.5 pulls in 8 mph winds? I would love to fly again. I just don't want to do it too soon.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45 PM »

Can't say the pull on a 1.5 but how about a Rev II ?  I've always enjoyed ours ever since they first came out, we bought it for the kid since the Rev 1 was a bit too much for her but it was sometimes hard to get it out of my hands. Maybe a post in the Wanted section would scare one up if you don't want to go for a new one.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:20 AM »

Before or after the healing period? I sure wouldn't want to be flying anything for at least the first six weeks! I know it's a while before you're fully healed so I might want to wait even longer. I'd ask your doctor. If he says that you should avoid any heavy lifting, I'd take that as meaning 'no kite flying' yet.

I get pacemakers every 8 years (I'm on my fourth) and I've had a few summers where I couldn't fly because I'm afraid of pulling stitches. 

Bob D.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56 PM »

you can always use a half vent, mine flys ok in 8mph, no pull at all

"Do what you like"
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:21 AM »

I'd be less concerned about steady pull than the odd occasion where the wind drops and you instinctively pump the kite.

Kites are fun but worth risking messing up surgery for?

RevJim

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 04:52 AM »

Thanks for your responses. I'm about 12 weeks out from the surgery now. I've behaved and left my kites alone. I do have a half vent 1.5 I haven't flown yet. I live in NW Georgia and tend to have gusty winds. A strong gust could be a problem. My sternum has started clicking again because I used the vacuum cleaner on one room 10 weeks after surgery. It looks like I'd better wait until my sternum fuses together again to even consider flying. I'll stay patient. It does sound like I'll start with the half vent when I fly Revs again. Again, thanks for your help.
Zach
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15 AM »

Thanks for your responses. I'm about 12 weeks out from the surgery now. I've behaved and left my kites alone. I do have a half vent 1.5 I haven't flown yet. I live in NW Georgia and tend to have gusty winds. A strong gust could be a problem. My sternum has started clicking again because I used the vacuum cleaner on one room 10 weeks after surgery. It looks like I'd better wait until my sternum fuses together again to even consider flying. I'll stay patient. It does sound like I'll start with the half vent when I fly Revs again. Again, thanks for your help.

Got anybody that you could teach to fly?  May help scratch the itch.
RevJim

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51 AM »

Great idea. I've not seen anyone with a Rev around here, but I might find a likely candidate to learn to fly one of mine. I learned on my own using internet resources. It would have helped so much to have a word of wisdom from time to time.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:36 AM »

I'd be less concerned about steady pull than the odd occasion where the wind drops and you instinctively pump the kite.

Kites are fun but worth risking messing up surgery for?

I work in CCU with Cardiac Surgery patients every day.  I agree with the statement above.
I don't think very many folks here are qualified to give the go ahead. 
Heal and make it a goal to get a kite back in the air ASAP, but not too soon.
Not a humble opinion, it's just an opinion.
madhabitz

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16 PM »

My sternum has started clicking again because I used the vacuum cleaner on one room 10 weeks after surgery. It looks like I'd better wait until my sternum fuses together again to even consider flying. I'll stay patient.

Gads, your "has started clicking again" is the exact description I just gave to the mechanic who did the brake job on my car. Heh... that's no lie. Everyone here has given you great advice and from your posts it sounds like you already know it. Stick with the plan to stay patient and heal. By the time you're ready to go, so should the better weather, so it's all good.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change