GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Solus is truly a "Freak" kite ... Roll up's anyone?  (Read 1738 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: November 17, 2011, 06:12 AM »

This was Nov. 15th.  Can't even believe it's me flying. This KITE is amazing.  I have not been able to fly as much as I was in warmer weather.  I can count the number of times I have flown the SOLUS on one hand.   Everyone has seen me fly just about everything ... NO KITE has taken me this far.  NOt just the KITE but everyone's help and input.  BUT this KITE is so nice to push yourself.  I never thought when I heard the name "yo-yo stopper's" that I'd ever get to a point that it effected me.  Just let it go thinking it some trick I'd never be able to do.  SO WRONG VERTIGO !!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

When I said in my last video it was my best flying...WRONG AGAIN...  That sucked just three days ago...

This is good flying... So far this seasonI have learned a number of tricks.  Rt./Lt. Axel,Rt/Lt. Half Axel,Rt./Lt.540.Rt./Lt. Lazy susan,Turtle,Pancake,Axel take off,Fade take off,Fade, Single roll up ,double roll up,and a couple I don't know the names yet.
Not a bad season.... Wink Wink Wink Wink  or is it just my imagination............ Grin

Sorry about the length but I couldn't cut it up anymore with out losing effects...
They were done on the same day..my progress shows as the video'splay forward.  The second one gets better.

#2.wmv

full roll #2
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:23 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
THE ONE
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:27 AM »

Great flying Vertigo. Every time I talk to Devin Cobleigh, he alwasy speaks so highly of the SOLUS. I just cannot wait to get mine, order has been placed already. Enjoy it!!!

Paul
Danno419

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25 AM »

Vert - as Norm said the other day - your fade launches are looking well good enough to do something with.
Next time you're out - get into a solid fade and start working on that lateral roll.
Its not quite a pop, but a tug from either side, with follow through... this will open up the fade/roll/yoyo and also the opener for the jacobs ladder.
Get the lateral roll down, then start putting it together to combo... when you're about half way through the roll (with nose down, slightly toward you), POP both lines and give lots of slack... its nearly one motion for me now, but break it up so you can be aware of the timing.
This will either roll you all the way around into a yoyo (depending on slack) OR will roll you around in a turtle.
From the turtle all you would need to do to complete 1 rung of a JL is the half lazy (180) then roll back into the fade with a tug and some slack.
Rinse and repeat!
To roll out of the yoyo's easily... pancake/flare, when you pull back it'll roll out smoooooth. (add extra slack to roll out, right back into a fade =)
For an extra dramatic roll out.... pancake it a few inches from the ground... OOOLALA.
You got this, Vert.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
vertigo2u

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:59 AM »

I got a (as in one) Frenchie but No Video.( so it didn't happen).... A Lo of s l a c k.
 When I go for the Frenchie I have to get those arms back by my side before I roll it. That will provide me with the slack I need.  Got to work fade's more and more.  I am loven' fade take off's.  I can almost see a fade take off roll over ,double roll up then turtle and unwrap once and turtle and unwrap oput of it.

One point in my video is a landing looks like a 540/pancake.  Spencer taught me the mover.  You fly down like 540 and snap both lines and she pops on her wing tips.  I do it with the Widow Maker.

Still waiting for "New" Solus std and Solus ultra lite....

JT has promised an immediate build when the sails arrive... Me and the "Little Creep-O" should be "...lookin' good...". 

However, waiting for this Ultra Lite is torture............. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:24 PM »

IMpresive progress JOe.  I saw quite a few decent Lewis' in there (roll up - lazy-unroll).  I'm going to go against what others are telling you and suggest you make sure you have regular flic flacs down before trying the over rotated (french) flic flac.  THe one quirk with the solus is a dead spot in the flare to fade if you let the nose go beyond horizontal and not rotate over to the fade (half lazy end position).  A position I use for mid air pop up transitions.  I originally thought it was me but it was confirmed by DonCrash last weekend.  If you see DEvin let him know and see if he has any adjustment suggestions.
vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:30 PM »

My Flic Flacs are failed "Fade's"...  Cheesy ..repeated ............ I think I could do flic flac's never really tried.  I am so close to doing Frenchie's.. I have done them... I figured something out.  When go into the Fade I need to hold my lines and walk up so my arms are closer to my body and further behind me.  I keep pulling back for this adjustment, but I could do it just as easily by a step forwards up into the lines... give nme more slack to start with.  This was yesterday.. I finally felt the snap pause and wrist whip to flip kite.  Had to show Geese.  They are around all the time.  Hundreds of them... This time of the year they fly south.  The sky is filled with them in a flying "V" formation.

yesterday.wmv
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:37 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 03:35 PM »

I think it helps to learn the "bring the nose-forward, then yoyo" before working on the french flic flac at least it did me.  If you can easily do a yoyo this way, then it's pretty easy to do the french flic flac.

6 kite tom
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:43 PM »

Yep looks like you got the wrist flick timing down well just keep on it and soon enough it will become 2nd nature.

I think it helps to learn the "bring the nose-forward, then yoyo" before working on the french flic flac at least it did me.  If you can easily do a yoyo this way, then it's pretty easy to do the french flic flac.

NOt really necessary on the Solus Std but if it helps to exaggerate the trick some then there is nothing wrong with it.   THe Solus will roll up just as easy like Joe is doing it or from a deep front flip
tpatter

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53 PM »

Yep looks like you got the wrist flick timing down well just keep on it and soon enough it will become 2nd nature.

NOt really necessary on the Solus Std but if it helps to exaggerate the trick some then there is nothing wrong with it.   THe Solus will roll up just as easy like Joe is doing it or from a deep front flip

With the F-F-F you want to, if I am not mistaken, unroll the kite into the nose-forward position before doing another yoyo and repeating the whole sequence. 

What I was saying is that you have to release tension after the kite has unrolled in order for the nose to end up nose-forward ready for the next yoyo - nothing to do with how easy the kite rolls up, more of how to have it come nose forward out of the unroll.

It does look like the kite one-pops really easily for sure!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04 PM »

With the F-F-F you want to, if I am not mistaken, unroll the kite into the nose-forward position before doing another yoyo and repeating the whole sequence. 

What I was saying is that you have to release tension after the kite has unrolled in order for the nose to end up nose-forward ready for the next yoyo - nothing to do with how easy the kite rolls up, more of how to have it come nose forward out of the unroll.

It does look like the kite one-pops really easily for sure!  Smiley

Hmm were talking about 2 different tricks then. I Was under the impression from a few other post that the french flic flac is just a regular flic flac you let over rotate into the fade again but with the lines over the trailing edge.  Basically a wap without the do wap.
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:41 PM »

Clearly - we need an expert opinion.  I am hoping one will be along shortly...

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 04:48 PM »

Clearly - we need an expert opinion.  I am hoping one will be along shortly...

Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
vertigo2u

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52 PM »

The input from yu guys is always welcomed.  Norm has been working with me on this for awhile.  I am so close to doing the Fade to a French roll over wrap.  Like I mentioned I have done them,but no Video.  Besides one or two is not doing "it".  Any luck I beat the snow on this trick... Wink Wink Wink Wink.

In the movie :Roaring Thunder with Tom Cruise he's a race car driver.  He and Devual have a problem.  He keeps crashing the car.  They figure out it's a matter of "Verbage" ... What does the Verbage mean.  Tug,pop,pull... That is the part that is confusing.  When I say I popped it.  What did I do Huh Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Is there a Kite Dictionary ....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Thanks for feed back.  Where's RobB

vertigo2u

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:19 AM »

What hapen at 2:49 of the first video Huh  I am just finishing a Fade and next I am moving horizontaly to the left and the Kite turns around  Very Strange ...  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

I haven't a clue but I have been doing it since flying the Solus...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:21 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 11:27 AM »

What hapen at 2:49 of the first video Huh  I am just finishing a Fade and next I am moving horizontaly to the left and the Kite turns around  Very Strange ...  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

I haven't a clue but I have been doing it since flying the Solus...
if your talking about right after the cut in the first vid thats an alternate roll up the solus likes to do.  You fly horizontal and do a snap turtle wit enough slack and it will roll up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document