GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 03:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tech Techno  (Read 1843 times)
DirtBikeGy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 18, 2011, 10:51 PM »

Hi. New to the forum. I just bought a New Tech Techno. I'm just having a small problem putting it together. I can't figure out the lines at the end of the trailing edge that are supposed to tighten up the sail. There are two. The small white one that is called the leach line, which is says tightens the trailing edge. And the larger black ones. The instructions say to put the leach lines into the nock first and then the larger black ones. But they just don't line up and I think I am doing it wrong. Can anybody help me out?

I hope I explained this okay.

I did do a search also. I noticed a lot of people have had or have this kite. Maybe I searched for the wrong thing though for my answer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:55 PM by DirtBikeGy » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:57 PM »

I grabbed mine, I don't believe I modified it so it should be like yours.

Yep, put the loop for the leach line over the nock first. Then the Leading Edge Tensioner is another loop of line inserted into a sewn loop at the trailing edge. what you do is center that loop in the sewn tab so you have the loop on one side and the knot on the other. Place the loop into the nock then pull the knotted end up to the nock and into the slot, the slot on the nock is small enough that the knot catches and holds the tension.

Alternately when you pull the knotted end up to the nock you can split the two lines over the nock so one goes into the slot and one is outside, that is actually a better way but on mine that was a bit under-tensioned and would require shortening the loop a bit by retying that knot.

The Techno is a nice kite, nicely spec'ed with easy to obtain replacement parts, Skysharks and APA's, hope you enjoy it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:59 PM »

I don't know much about this kite but the principles are the same. the tension line is to tension the sail itself after assembly. The leachline has another effect on the kite flight. A tight leach line will lead in a super silent kite and more rapid where as a less tighten leach line will give more tracking to a kite.
Attaching order does not matters. I usually tension first (the black line in your case) make sure everything is OK, then attach the leach line. depending on the wind and what i want to practice that day, i will choose my tightness strength (can this be said)

Never fly the kite without tensioning it and without the leach line attached..tight or not.

The best way to learn these is to fly with, without, with, without, in different wind conditions and see how the kite reacts as per what you wanted..then adjusting it till you find your sweet spot

Hope this helps you and have fun with your new kite

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
DirtBikeGy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:46 AM »

Thank you both so much for your help. Hopefully the winds won't be too strong tomorrow to try this thing out.
I would have never figured out to use the Leading Edge Tensioner knot in the knock. And I didn't realize that the Leach Lines would tighten once I had the kite fully assembled.

My sail still has some slack by both of the lower Leading Edge Connectors, but everything else seams tight. Is there something else I am missing here or is that normal?

Again, Thank you!

One more thing, this kite also came with rubber caps that were covering the arrow nocks at the wing tips. Are these just for storage, or should they fit over while the tightening lines are in there?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:51 AM by DirtBikeGy » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:55 AM »

The leading edges should be pulled tight by those tensioners, if not tight enough you'll notice some slack/bunching in the cutout where the lower spreaders attach to the leading edge. If you have that problem you may need to shorten those black loops a bit by loosening and retying the knot.

Those caps are put on after the tensioning lines are in place, tuck the little tail up into them and slip them on, they just cleanup that area by hiding those lines for less snag points and protect the lines and nocks

Here's a link to the Blue Moon Kites forum  where Ken McNeill, a good friend and sponsor  of the GWTW Forum (see the BMK banner on the right), has posted a video on tensioning the leading edge. He uses the preferred split over the nock method that I described above, if this method works on your Techo it is the way to do it.  http://www.bluemoonkites.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:37 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DirtBikeGy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33 AM »

When I pull the sail tight enough so there is no slack, the leading edge bends a little. is this ok?

The video was a BIG help!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:03 AM »

Yep there should be a slight curve to the leading edge, it's built into most kites intentionally.

Oh I better add that curve is induced by the leading edge tensioners only, not the leach line. If you add curve with the leach line you'll be cupping the sail and that'll cause some funky flight characteristics. Tension the leading edge first, completely assemble the kite with stand-offs in place then tighten the leach line only enough to not cause any additional curve to the leading edge. You also never want to cause any puckering on the trailing edge with that leach line.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:17 AM by mikenchico » Logged

DirtBikeGy

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06 PM »

Well I guess I need to adjust the leach lines then.

Does anybody know what these might be for? They came in the kite bag also. They look like a couple nets. One is a little bigger than the other.

Hadge

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:19 PM »

They're wind brakes, used to slow the kite down in strong winds. They usually fit between the upper and lower spreaders something like this.

There should be something about them in the instructions with your kite.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 04:22 PM »

Those look like wind brakes (some say wind screens).

Typically they slide over the 2 standoffs before the standoffs are inserted into the lower spreader standoff connectors. Both of those should be the same size. That's my guess as I do not own this kite.

Here is a Techno.

Here is a wind brake installed, although it is a bit different than yours. One of the sleeves is held in place by a standoff. On yours, both should be held in place by standoffs.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Oops.

As you can see there are several different types of wind brakes. If the wind screens are small, they will go between the standoffs. If the wind screens are large they will go from the upper spreader to the lower spreader.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DirtBikeGy

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:22 PM »

Well I don't think I have the proper instructions with my kite. So if anybody has the pdf file or a link to one that would be awesome. When I did a search for this kite I saw that somebody had posted one a while back, but that link no longer works. The booklet that came with my kite is for the New Tech Ignitor, Fuse, Firecracker, M-80, Dynamite, and Firestorm.

Thank you everybody for all of your help. I can't wait to fly this thing. It sure is a lot bigger than my last one.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 09:44 PM »

Same manual came in ours, manufactures often do that where the kites are similar enough they feel they can get away with using a pre-existing manual. You are a step ahead of us as we didn't get any wind brakes in ours.

As a new flier with a new kite one thing you should check is the line lengths. It's one of the curses of the offshore produced kites that they sometimes come in with unequal length lines which can cause an inexperienced flier grief when first learning. To check them hook both the loops you would normally larkshead to the kite over some stationary object, a nail in a fence, a screwdriver in the ground, a coathanger hooked over a car bumper, whatever you can find. Then unroll the lines and hold the handles together under a bit of tension and confirm they are even. If they are off just a bit an extra knot in the longer lines loop may be enough to get them even, if they are off a lot you might need to carefully untie the loop, pull some line through the sleeving and retie them. A search on "equalizing lines" will bring up a few threads on methods, sleeving ect. that you'll find usefull.

DirtBikeGy

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14 PM »

Ok, I wasn't sure because my first stunt kite that I bought was the New Tech Fuse. I thought it was weird that the Techno came with the same booklet as that one.

I'm wondering if these wind brakes were not supposed to come in my kite bag then. One is just a little longer that the other one. And I have no idea how they would even attach to the Techno. It would not make sense to have them on the stand-offs if one is bigger than the other. I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow when I put it back together.

I will definitely check the line length before I fly. I've had to adjust both leading edge tensioners and leach lines.
DirtBikeGy

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 10:04 PM »

Ok, I have a couple more questions.

There is some type of tape on the leading edge towards the nose of the kite. Does any body know what type of tape this is? It isn't sticking very good and I wanted to replace it if it is supposed to be there.

Also the sail is a little loose where the top spreader is connected to the spine with the rubber band. I can't figure out how to tighten it.

I did fly it today. And it flies good as far as I can tell, although, I don't have a whole lot of experience.
It sure is fun though!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document