GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 09:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite Windless Wonder?  (Read 1746 times)
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: November 18, 2011, 11:05 PM »

Just curious to know what your favorite no-wind kite is.
Whatever type. I don't have one yet myself.  Wink

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51 PM »

All kites need some wind to move..even when you are moving your arms and body, you create the drive in the sail for it...
Forget it, juts wanted to say this...  Grin
I was focussing on a Prism 4-D lately as sometimes wind drops on my island but this was just to fly if one day there is no wind...finally found myself buying a Zephyr for gentle winds rather than a no wind kite.
How is the wind in your area? Does it drops sometimes or there is more no-wind than gentle one?

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55 PM »

I really like the Prism 4D.  You can even fly it indoors.  In fact, it flys better indoors than some kites that I have that are indoor only.  

Now, it's no trick monster, but it will do most anything that doesn't require it to yoyo, which is common in true no-wind kites.  Having said that, it will fade, backspin, half-axel, multi-lazy, tip stab, and side slide in less wind than most anything.

There at better kites for indoor only flying, but I like this one for general low wind outdoor flying and the price is right.  

I fly it when the wind drops below 1 and I want to just relax and fly without 'working it' so to speak.

Honestly, I am still waiting for a kite that will JL, comete, and rollup like my favorite UL but in 0.25mph - I don't think it exists yet, but this one has satisfied me while I am waiting.

-Tom

6 kite tom
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:09 AM »

Horvath Hybrid 240.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 02:44 AM »

No wind.
Focus Manta.
Don't own one, but flying Kent's is amazing.

The Manta - Flying Indoors

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:04 AM »

I love my Urban Ninja (also designed by Horvath) indoors and in no wind. Sometimes i like it more then flying my dualline kites. Meditation...

Pics:
http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=420

Video:
UrbanNinja
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 05:26 AM »

The one?
There isn't one.. .....

Indoors ...... outdoors .......

Top favorite would be the Mini serendipity made by Ruth whiting......looks so funky. ..... but flies so well. ...........but this is indoors only. .............

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:55 AM »

Of the ones I've flown - the Blue Moon 61/49 - I like the challenge it provides since it has a bit more of a mind of it's own then others I've flown which keeps me interested. Plus it's significantly different from the rest of the pack and a dang fine looking kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MitchellNJ
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:06 PM »

I don't own one but there was an indoor truss sort of kite flown by Mark Ricketts. The thing was freakin huge and awe inspiring.

Tetra Truss? I just Geugled it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:11 PM by MitchellNJ » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 05:16 PM »

I don't own one but there was an indoor truss sort of kite flown by Mark Ricketts. The thing was freakin huge and awe inspiring.

TetraFoil Zero-Wind Truss?

Oh I see there was a 7 cell model too

He had a few models in the TetraFoil line from a single cell with tapered tail to that 7 cell. I suppose like any tetrahdreal kite you could combine as many cells as you wanted.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:18 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 01:31 PM »

For easy flying and amazing gliding, I haven't flown anything that out-flies the Manta.  For fun zero wind interacting and a little more challengin, the Blue Moon 61-49 is a blast.

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 02:22 PM »

trusses from guildworks....
there were two indoor sizes and then a few smaller outdoor sizes and designs. ....they fly awesome and are notcheap. ...and yes you can add more cells to

He had a few models in the TetraFoil line from a single cell with tapered tail to that 7 cell. I suppose like any tetrahdreal kite you could combine as many cells as you wanted.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26 AM »

for indoor only: my millenium is a GO GO....like kareloh said....pure meditation Wink

i hope to finish my ninja this winter....but flew others horvath kites....indeed i like it a lot.....maybe more then my duals at that moment.

for some new school trickin: my custom NSE sul is my first choiche.....it need a little wind and/or movement....but man.....it flies really early....it impresses me every time....and my technique is also creasing Grin
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 08:29 AM »

wauuuww....pure flying archtecture objects....impressive Huh
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 12:55 PM »

I just got to play with the new iFlite by Patrick (layangman) available from Rob at Windswept Kites and for a small indoor kite to fly off a stick it was pretty sweet and it has some nice build features. None of the pictures or video's I've seen really do the kite justice. It would have to be a windless day though to take it outdoors IMO.

If you're interested in that type you might hurry to get it on your list for Santa, the nice tube it comes in will easily fit in your stocking and the price is right. I'm telling you nobody is making large profits off this if you're supporting small business Sat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography