GWTW Forum
October 02, 2014, 01:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kite building class  (Read 964 times)
emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 15, 2011, 04:13 AM »

Does anyone know if someone's hosting or will host building class?
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:24 AM »

Do you have all the necessary tools and materials for right now?
If yes, then grad the occasion and jump in this train http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6449.0

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:08 AM »

This is an unexpected compliment! Thank you!

If you do use my thread as an instruction in building kites, please remember: This my first build....EVER!
I am following the build threads Sugarbaker has posted. Namely this one http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5165.0, and this one http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6316.0.
So, if you follow mine, and I leave out some details, it will be because he has already covered the details in his threads. Between the three threads, you "should" be able to learn the process.

If I can do it, so can you!
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:17 AM »

This is an unexpected compliment! Thank you!

Wink

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:22 AM »

Where are you located or is travel not a problem?

A couple excellent workshops here on the West Coast, Fort Warden Kitemakers Conference held at Fort Warden, WA. March 16-18, 2012, and the Oregon Kitemakers Retreat in Rockaway Beach, OR. January 12 - 15, 2012

There are many others held throughout the country, a trip over to kitebuilder.com's forum is a better place to check for announcements and details, Kiteguy here on our forum and over there is an active teacher at many retreats.

These usually aren't directed at the Sport Kite builder but you will learn many techniques that you will use and gain the experience of working with the same materials and fabrics from some excellent builders.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteguy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38 AM »

I will be presenting a single line kite at OKR in January.  It is rather unique.  It was designed by a person in Brazil, and he has given me permission to present my version.  It is 118% the original size, and results in appx. 9 ft wing span.

Here is a picture of one of mine.  If you want to do some applique you would need to do it before the class.  I will ship out the wings for that purpose,if you choose to do so.

All the kits will have white keels, black center section, and black edge binding and wing LE tunnels.

Carbon wing spars and wood spars for the longerons.

The kite may be flown as a twin keel kite, or pull them together and fly it is a cellular delta version.  It flies at a very high angle, with enough pull to lift a KAP rig.  I have made several versions.  50%, 75%, 100%, and the 118%.

Click the thumbnail to see the larger photo.

If you just want some plans to build your own for your version, let me know.  Shipping is free via email.  I have a spread sheet that allows scaling the plan to any size you choose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document